Your Walt Disney World Information Station
The WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast Discuss Tomorrowland Discussion in the The WDW Radio Show forums; Lou mentioned in the 3/25/07 show that many people are upset by the current attractions in Tomorrowland as they don't hold to the futuristic theming of that area. I have ...
    SamIAm717 is offline Fastpass Holder

Tomorrowland Discussion

Lou mentioned in the 3/25/07 show that many people are upset by the current attractions in Tomorrowland as they don't hold to the futuristic theming of that area. I have to agree that Disney has really never held completely true to that theme. I am not particularly upset with the Monsters Laugh Floor attraction going in there as I feel that Tomorrowland is probably the most ambiguous of all the "lands". Walt's vision was that Tomorrowland be the future as it might appear in the 1980s, but we have long since passed that time frame. I am happy that they are at least putting a decent attraction in that area. I am not a complete purist, but I also don't want to see it go wayyyy out of character either. I think they have a great opportunity to plus this area in the future with a Meet The Robinson's type attraction.

In Disneyland, the Matterhorn sits square between Fantasyland and Tomorrowland and there's nothing particularly futuristic about an old mountain and they have Autotopia too. Nothing modern about that. The one thing DL has is the monorail gliding overhead, which is a great boost to the futuristic feeling and gives that area some much need motion. And now they will have the Nemo subs, which isn't particularly futuristic either. The Tomorrowland in DL has been lacking and outside of Space Mountain, Astro Orbiter, and Buzz Lightyear, there weren't a lot of things there to pull you in. Once you had experienced those attractions, you pretty much moved on.

I like the idea there are more attraction offerings in Tomorrowland at WDW. It's a great section of the park and it's nice to see it populated.

I will say, I am glad to see HSM out of there. That really did ruin the whole futuristic feeling of Tomorrowland.

I will be in the parks on April 12th and 13th and Monster's will be first on the list of destinations!
    “To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America...with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world.”

danheaton is offline B-Ticket Holder
    My main problem with Stich and the Laugh Floor (if the rumors are correct) is that they aren't interesting attractions. They appear designed more to sell Disney's films and merchandise than to offer a top-notch experience.

As a counterpoint, I have no problem with Buzz Lightyear because it feels unique and appeared before all the new Pixar attractions. I did enjoy If You Had Wings and its later incarnations, but understood that they needed to be updated.

However, having three attractions that don't really fit with Tomorrowland is overload. If they were really unique and offered an original experience, I wouldn't mind. But considering the junky nature of these new attractions, I find little excitement from them. Before we know it, they'll be closing The Carousel of Progress and replacing it with an Incredibles experience. While I enjoyed that film, this is not the direction I'd prefer for Disney World. And I won't even waste time on the High School Musical show.

To summarize, my problem with Tomorrowland, as well as EPCOT, is the lack of ingenuity in the newer attractions. Is it possible for Disney to create a unique attraction that doesn't simply sell a picture or TV show? I have no problem with them updating El Rio Del Tiempo, but putting characters into it is a mistake. One of the reasons that POTC, The Haunted Mansion, and Spaceship Earth remain so popular is that they were created as unique attractions separate from a marketing tie-in. Obviously, there have been exceptions like Test Track and Expedition Everest, but too much of the focus is on characters instead of the magic.

SpaceRanger is offline A-Ticket holder
    I don't see a problem with Monsters Inc Laugh Floor being in Tomorrow Land. Let's look at what Monsters Inc was about.. it was an alternate dimension where monsters powered their world by using children's screams or laughter. The premise was that these monsters had access to special "doors" that led them to the human world to scare the kids. I would definitely define that as sci-fi. They live in a world that has cultivated the ultimate "green" technology, and use inter-dimensional doors to get around. It doesn't seem to me that they really put a lot of man hours into turning the time keeper around into this attraction. Maybe it's just a placeholder for the time being?

I think Stitch would also belong there, but my problem with Stitch is that they just tacked on new decorations over an existing attraction, and that is very corny. While the Stitch animatronic is great and hi-tech, the rest of it is rather lame. It's still Alien Encounter, but with a new paint scheme and different characters. What they did to the robot SIR is just criminal. They turned such a creepy and ominous sounding robot into that doofus of a sgt, complete with tacked on belly. It's insulting, really.

jeffcot is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Like Lou, I tend to give Disney and the Imagineers the benefit of the doubt when stretching these things a bit. Let's face it, neither Country Bears nor Splash Mountain really fit the traditional definition of Frontierland . . . (hence their actual placements in Critter Country in DL)

Tomorrowland is a bit trickier however. When they did the refurb in the 1990s to "the future that never was", they set up a fairly detailed backstory. That story was, and still is to some extent, communicated throughout the area via design elements (signs, posters, props, Sonny Eclipse) and most especially on the TTA. It is clearly the strongest "story" associated with any of the individual lands in the MK (with the possible exception of Toontown Fair). Buzz Lightyear, then Stitch, and now Laugh Floor, bear no relation whatsoever to the established background of the area. While the earlier incarnation of Tommorowland was a bit more generic and allowed more easily for attraction fits like the Grand Prix, Dreamflight and the Circlevisions, the current Stitch/Pixar shows more obviously demonstrate a question of compatibility.

What's likely to happen over time is that the established retro-future references will gradually be minimized or phased out altogether. Laugh Floor has effectively killed the Metropolis Science Center, and Stitch did likewise to the Convention Center concept. On a more subtle level, it appears that some of the very clever posters that are located near the entrance to Tomorrowland have begun to disappear.

The problem is also the fact that they haven't put in a real E Ticket-WOW! attraction, but instead have been faced with extremely mixed reactions to Stitch and already potential lukewarm responses to Laugh Floor. It's pretty easy to overlook Splash Mountain's seeming disconnect with Frontierland because it's such an incredible attraction. Unfortunately, the current wave of T-Land attractions do not inspire similar forgiveness.
    Last edited by jeffcot; 03-28-2007 at 08:28 AM.
    Jeff Pepper
    Author of 2719 Hyperion
    Disney World Trivia.com and WDW Radio Show Contributor

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd
    I agree with lots of comments made above. I am probably 95% purest but I don't mind when attractions are revamped to keep with the times. To me it's better than taking one completely out. I enjoyed Timekeeper so losing it to Turtle Talk Part II is sort of depressing to me. That said however, I'll still check it out and give it an oportunity. I was the same with the Stitch refurb. I loved Alien Encounter but let's face it, it was pretty intense. I love the movie so I think putting Stitch into that attraction was a good call. Kept the same basic theme of an alien encounter, just made it a rude but cute blue fuzzy one instead.

Now on the whole topic of the "futuristic theming" that Tomorrowland is losing. This isn't the first time something "unfuturistic" has made it's way into Tomorrowland. As a matter of fact some of the early attractions didn't really fit the theme. Like... the speedway... what's so futuristic about that? Even when the park was built there were race cars zooming around tracks in the real world. Then there are the attractions like the Carousel of Progress and Delta Dreamflight which focus(ed) more on the promise of tomorrow being a better world... not so much visions fantastic of the future.

Quote Originally Posted by danheaton View Post
    My main problem with Stich and the Laugh Floor (if the rumors are correct) is that they aren't interesting attractions.
    I'm not entirely sure what you mean here by "if the rumors are correct". The Laugh Floor isn't a rumor, it's complete and showing previews daily before the planned opening "coming soon". Maybe I misunderstood what you meant.

Anyway, my long standing desire has been to encourage refurbs and updates rather than complete replacements of attractions. I've found myself in many a verbal battle on this topic over the years but I stand steadfast to the belief that updates to make things current while keeping the pace and theme of an attraction is always the best decision an Imagineer can make. Does it mean when they do replace an attraction entirely I'll boycott it? Well no... I was absolutely destroyed when I found out Horizons was coming down to build a whole new attraction but I very much enjoy Mission Space. It's just a desire to preserve what I believe to be the legacy Walt left behind of a place where families can enjoy everything together and not have to decide which attractions to skip because they may be too instense for the little ones.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

fungus_01 is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJenn View Post
    I'm not entirely sure what you mean here by "if the rumors are correct". The Laugh Floor isn't a rumor, it's complete and showing previews daily before the planned opening "coming soon". Maybe I misunderstood what you meant.
    I think what he was referring to are the rumors that Laugh Floor hasn't been as well received as Disney was hoping

*2006 Off site*2007 Pop*2008 Off site*2009 Pop/POR*2010 June Pop*Oct Pop*Dec Pop*2011 Dec CB Pirate Room*2012 Nov Disney Dream*Dec Pop*2013 Feb Pop*March The Swan*​Dec Pop*2014 Oct Disney Fantasy

KINGCRAB is offline Annual Passholder

Re: Tomorrowland Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by danheaton View Post
    To summarize, my problem with Tomorrowland, as well as EPCOT, is the lack of ingenuity in the newer attractions. Is it possible for Disney to create a unique attraction that doesn't simply sell a picture or TV show? I have no problem with them updating El Rio Del Tiempo, but putting characters into it is a mistake. One of the reasons that POTC, The Haunted Mansion, and Spaceship Earth remain so popular is that they were created as unique attractions separate from a marketing tie-in. Obviously, there have been exceptions like Test Track and Expedition Everest, but too much of the focus is on characters instead of the magic.
    Excuse me, but the characters are part of the magic and you know that! They always have been and always will be.
    "Boy, I'm tired. I think I'll head over to The Hall of Presidents and take a nap."

elvistelth is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Re: Tomorrowland Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by KINGCRAB View Post
    Excuse me, but the characters are part of the magic and you know that! They always have been and always will be.
    KK 's still telling people what they know and how to think...it never gets old, Krabby~!