Your Walt Disney World Information Station
The WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast Discuss WDW Radio Show - #9 - April 8, 2007 in the The WDW Radio Show forums; Welcome back to The WDW Radio Show – Your WDW information Station, hosted by Lou Mongello. Thanks for tuning in once again. This is Show #9 for the week of ...
    Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - Disney Expert, Host, Author, Speaker and Entrepreneur

WDW Radio Show - #9 - April 8, 2007

Welcome back to The WDW Radio Show – Your WDW information Station, hosted by Lou Mongello. Thanks for tuning in once again. This is Show #9 for the week of April 8, 2007.

Lou's very special guest Michael Broggie gives an exclusive interview and recounts wonderful stories of growing up around Walt Disney, as well as his father Roger Broggie, who was the very first Disney Imagineer. He also shares Walt's "secrets to success", tales of Roy Disney, and Walt's interactions with his Imagineers. Lou and Michael also talk about the extinct Fort Wilderness Railroad, including Michael's work and preservation efforts for its engines and cars. They also discuss the future of the Disney Company led by Bob Iger and John Lasseter, and so much more! Jeff Pepper continues with the railroad theme as he looks at the secrets and stories behind the train bulletins at the Main Street, USA Railroad Station. Lou answers more of your emails, and reports on Walt Disney World News and Views, and Mike Scopa comes on to talk about another Best of the Best at Walt Disney World. So sit back, relax, and enjoy this week’s episode of the WDW Radio Show! View this week's show notes.

You can email the show at lou@wdwradio.com or call the voicemail at 206-202-4WDW. Talk about the show by visiting and posting in the WDW Radio Show message forums at DisneyWorldTrivia.com.

Thanks for listening! Be sure to tune in next week!
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

SamIAm717 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Hi Lou,

Any chance this will hit ITunes tonight? I would love to download it before my flight in the morning! Just keeping my fingers crossed here!

Thanks
    “To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America...with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world.”

Bahimiron is offline A-Ticket holder
    wuwu

Free dining for Disney Visa card holders announced. Go Lou for gettin' me all hyped up for this on the show two weeks ago!

Just called and added the free dining plan on to the vacation I'd booked two months ago. (I already had dining on it, but by booking this I dropped the cost of our trip by a bucketload!)

I realize you've never done dining before, Lou, but we did it at the last second last year when they offered the free dining and I swear to God, we'd never go without it again. My first trip to Disney, most of our meals were counter with a stop off at Mexico in Epcot and the Rainforest Cafe. With the dining plan, we ate at Le Cellier twice (both walk-ins, contrary to gloomy predictions of needing ADRs at every restaurant), the Coral Reef, Artist Point, Mexico, Crystal Palace and more! On my last day we had enough counter service meals left over, we bought breakfast for everyone in the Roaring Forks.

I just hope that on Thursday, they open up the free dining plan to everyone. I've got a friend here where I work who is also going in that time frame and she plans on doing most of her own cooking, since she's staying on the campgrounds. I know if they open up free dining for her, she'll be booking steaks in Canada every night.

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    Another great, informative podcast. You just keep coming up with interviews that rock!
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

nicks10 is offline @nick_straka
    Awesome podcast Lou, your best to date! I loved the interview with Michael Broggie, very interesting to hear his personal stories about Walt. Another great DSI as well! Keep up the great work Lou (and Jeff)
    -Nick

"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy"

disneycrazy1956 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Lou, thanks for having Michael Brogggie on. I got his book when it first came out because I was so fascinated by Walt's small scale train and its significance to Disneyland. In the book Michael describes how the Disneyland locomotives were built and how they acquired old engines for wdw that they refurbished. I loved the book. It is a great read for any disney fanatic. I thought it was great to hear about the fort wilderness train because it was long gone before I ever went to WDW. Thanks again Lou!!
    "I just want it to look like nothing else in the world... and it should be surrounded by a train" -Walt Disney.
    90 CB, 92 DI, 94 CR, 97 FWC, 99 CS, 00 CS, 02 CS, 04 POR, 05 POR, 07 POR, 08 POFQ, 09 POR, 11 POR.

Spaced Out Dude is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Hi Lou. Allthough I enjoyed Jeff's segment this week, I think in future, it'd be better to go back to you & Jeff doing it. I find it more enjoyable that way.
    Aly & AJ's Insomniatic- Now Available at all stores & Amazon.com!!!!

mrp4352 is offline D-Ticket Holder
    I remember the old Imagineering section in Epcot. My friend, Rebekah, was actually chosen to ride the ride during our tour through it. At the time, they were saying the Aladin ride was a future attraction for the parks. Going through their felt like you were being given access to very secret future plans! And I'm very jealous of the pictures in the show notes - They wouldn't let us take pictures during our tour...
    Please move as far to the end of the row as possible. Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic!

bucknut20 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Just got it downloaded going to listen to it later.

Creambunni is offline It's a small world after all...
    Yay, another great show!
    But this week's D.S.I. report wasn't as well-done as in past. I like that chemistry you have with Jeff, and would like another conversational one, but I guess Jeff by himself every once in a while can help break that tedium.
    But that's all the bad stuff I have to say!
    "It's a small world after all..."

MissFlaversham is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Hey, Lou!
    FANTASTIC interview with Michael Broggie - can't wait to listen to the full recording! Keep the DSI's coming - I never even looked at that board! As always, can't wait for the next show!!

Oh, yeah, I finally got to listen to the WTTM 4/1 podcast - pretty amusing!
    a dream is a wish your heart makes.......
    D23 Charter Member

bucknut20 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Just got done with this weeks show and the full version of the michael broggie interview and wow this is one of the best interviews i think you have done lou. I may just have to go out and get his book.

seriouslydw is offline I need a vacation!
    Another wonderful show! Great job Lou!!
    "There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island."
    Walt Disney

Timbo is offline Fastpass Holder

Post Model-train shares Disney magic with a new generation

I thought it appropriate to post this story here since Lou interviewed Michael Broggie on this show.
    From the Ventura County Star (California):
    ================================================== =======
    Model-train shares Disney magic with a new generation

A toy story

By Jim McLain
    Sunday, May 6, 2007

A Thousand Oaks man with lifelong ties to Walt Disney's magic is helping to market the first model-train replica of the backyard railroad that was part of the inspiration for Disneyland.

Michael Broggie who knew Walt Disney and spent much of his childhood on the Disney studio lot and his business partner got the Disney family to license production of the scale model electric train. It went on sale at Disneyland last month and will be available nationwide in late June
    ================================================== =======
    Full story here: http://www.venturacountystar.com/new...6/a-toy-story/
    Check out my blog or MySpace.