Your Walt Disney World Information Station
The WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast Discuss WDW Radio Show - #10 - April 15, 2007 in the The WDW Radio Show forums; Welcome back to The WDW Radio Show – Your Walt Disney World information Station, hosted by Lou Mongello. Thanks for tuning in once again. This is Show #10 for the ...
    Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - Disney Expert, Host, Author, Speaker and Entrepreneur

WDW Radio Show - #10 - April 15, 2007

Welcome back to The WDW Radio Show – Your Walt Disney World information Station, hosted by Lou Mongello. Thanks for tuning in once again. This is Show #10 for the week of April 15, 2007.

This week's show starts off with some News and Views from Walt Disney World, including the planned Re-Imagineering of Spaceship Earth. Lou will talk not only about the what is to come, but some of the changes through the years. Mike Scopa comes on to talk about another Best of the Best at Walt Disney World, which leads directly into the next special guest and topic. Steve "TikiMan" Seifert joins Lou in talking about the history of Disney's Polynesian Resort, its changes over time, vacationing there now and all that it has to offer, and some of its hidden secrets and treasures that even the most seasoned veteran might overlook. Lou and Jeff Pepper take a trip on the Walt Disney World Wayback Machine to visit The Epcot That Never Was, as they explore pavilions and attractions that were planned for EPCOT Center, yet never came to be, as well as why we still don't see them today. The answers are revealed and the winner of the first Where in the World Have You Heard This? contest is announced, so sit back, relax, and enjoy this week’s episode of the WDW Radio Show! View this week's show notes.

You can email the show at lou@wdwradio.com or call the voicemail at 206-202-4WDW.
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

bucknut20 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Downloading it now don't have time to listen to it till tomorrow though. I can not wait to hear about the epcot that never was.

Jedi_Galvatron is offline A-Ticket holder
    I can't wait to hear another great episode Lou, keep up the good work. As a former cast member from the Canada pavilion at Epcot my heart lies very strongly with Epcot and I always look forward with extra special delight to episodes where you spend time on my favorite park. I can't wait to listen to this, you always make Monday's lunch hour much more bearable for me as I have a pleasant voice to listen to as opposed to the background noise of the people I work with debating which project they'd rather take on then the one they ARE on. Again thank you for the wonderfull show you put on Lou, you are truly a Disney legend in your own right.

jswalker1981 is offline A-Ticket holder
    Hey Lou, I booked a three night stay at the Swan for October in February and I was wondering if I can take advantage of the free dining package. I will have an annual pass, and I remember on a previous show that someone said you could just buy a one-day ticket package and just keep the ticket but still get the free dining. I made the reservations for the Swan when it was $99 a night, and I booked it for friday, saturday, and sunday night. It would be great if I could get the free dining feature added onto my vacation. Thanks, great show by the way, can't wait to see the plus-ed epcot.
    The Butabi brothers from Night at the Roxbury:

Doug Butabi: So anyways, I was standing there waiting to use the pay phone.
    Steve Butabi: Yeah, he was, seriously.
    Doug Butabi: And this guy who was on the phone, turns around and tips his hat like this.
    Steve Butabi: And who do you think that guy was?
    Doug Butabi: Lou Mongello.
    Steve Butabi: The Disney World Trivia man, I swear to God, I was there.
    Doug Butabi: Of course you were, you were the one who yelled the Podcaster's name.
    Steve Butabi: I was like, "LOU!!!"

GoofTroop3 is offline B-Ticket Holder

Thank you Lou!

"Mike Scopa comes on to talk about another Best of the Best at Walt Disney World, which leads directly into the next special guest and topic. Steve "TikiMan" Seifert joins Lou in talking about the history of Disney's Polynesian Resort, its changes over time, vacationing there now and all that it has to offer, and some of its hidden secrets and treasures that even the most seasoned veteran might overlook."

I love the Polynesian and really enjoyed these segments of your show. We stayed there in December in the Hawaii building w/lagoon view. This was by far the best view we have ever had on property and we thought it was worth the extra $. My husband and I sat on the balcony watching everything. There were boats, fireworks, the monorail going in and out of the Contemporary, and even a wedding on the point. It was very romantic and we did all this while our son watched TV or played in the room. Soooo relaxing.

"Lou and Jeff Pepper take a trip on the Walt Disney World Wayback Machine to visit The Epcot That Never Was, as they explore pavilions and attractions that were planned for EPCOT Center, yet never came to be, as well as why we still don't see them today."

This was excellent. I always learn so much from your shows. I can't thank you enough for all the work you put into these shows and providing us with all this information.

- Kate

Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - Disney Expert, Host, Author, Speaker and Entrepreneur
    Thank you!!! Glad to hear you are enjoying the show!!!

A bit thanks also has to go to my guests, without whom... well... the show would just be... ummm. me

Seriously, they are all wonderful and I appreciate all of their efforts and hard work
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

MickeyMaz is offline A-Ticket holder
    Another Great show. Kate is right in that you learn so much in the hour and change it takes to listen to WDWradio. The segment on Epcot and what could have been is a perfect example. I’ll save comments for the other thread though.
    As for Steve the Tikiman, we’ve gotten to know his site well. We also stayed at the Polynesian this past December. It was great, but probably won’t happen again for a long time due to price. Everything you guys said was true. Easy to get to the TTC and Epcot when ever we wanted. We usually took the small boats to the Magic Kingdom. On the night that the Space Shuttle took off, we took the big ferry boat back to the TTC, watching the shuttle the whole time. Nice to get off the boat and walk the 5 minutes to our room. Speaking of rooms, they were beautiful. The plasma was awesome. We were able to plug our camera into it each night and edit pictures and video. Very Cool. The entire property was very tropical and island like. If you talk to Steve again, you gotta ask him what is up with the shower heads in Niue. They were chest high and I am 6 feet tall. We had a Garden view and walked down to the beach to watch wishes. We must have seen it 4 times. We also saw the Very Merry Christmas Fireworks. WOW! From the Polynesian beach, the finale of Fireworks stretch from the Grand Floridian all the way to the Contemporary along the MK side of the Bay. Did I say Wow?
    And, Capt. Cooks is great. Nothing like a Dole Whip on demand. You should try the Grown-up Grilled Cheese.
    The Maz Disney Blog: http://themazdisneyblog.blogspot.com/
    The "We're Going to WDW" Podcast: http://wgtwdw.podbean.com/

Tikiman is offline B-Ticket Holder
    GoofTroop3,

Hawaii longhouse is a great location and the view is one of the best. I get asked often if I would take the view or concierge (since a MK view room and garden view concierge is the same price) and I have a hard time deciding which is best. I love the view ever since my first stay in Moorea (now Tahiti) in a lagoon view room. With that said the concierge is great to have right there and the garden views are nice also.

MickeyMaz,

I was on the beach video taping the shuttle taking off.

As far as the shower heads in Niue they are all like that in the original longhouses since the ceiling in the bathroom and entrance of the room is dropped down for the air system. (See photo)

I must say that I enjoy the Polynesian a little more in the warmer months. Sort of goes with the theme. Also I tried to sample all the new things at Captain Cook’s and the Grilled Cheese was my favorite.

Aloha

Steve

yensid1071 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Lou, I'm only part way thru the show (most of the interview with Steve), but want to let you know that I am enjoying it, just like I enjoy the show each week. Very good stuff!! Steve had a lot of great info and I look forward to the rest of the show and each show in the future!! Keep up the great work!! It's always very informative and entertaining!! Thank you again for your hard work and the great guests!!
    Jay
    Mahna mahna....

Officially escaped the Box on January 4, 2012!

I have short term memory loss. It runs in the family. Well, at least I *think* it does. Hmmmm... where are they???

DRC2 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Shelby Twp. , Michigan/ via Hillsboro Oregon
    Another Great Show! An update on Spaceship Earth will be cool (As long as they don't insert any Ratatouille, which they'll probably try to put in Tomorrowland)laughsEnjoyed the history and info. on the Polynesian Resort.Loved the segment with Jeff on Epcot (I remember checking the Epcot book, that Jeff mentioned, out of my college lib. and just ordered it today!). It is a shame that Disney is not celebrating 25 years of Epcot! The talk of attractions in the pavilions...I'd like to see attractions in all the pavilions. I think that they would draw more people to the park (if it is a Trill Ride) and they really give the guest a little extra incentive to experience a pavilion.As far as characters in Epcot... I don't mind at all, that is when used in context with the park or pavilion they are in. Goofy over health, Simba in the land etc... But Nemo??? If they would have created something new and educational about the oceans I think that it would be great use of a character. I just don't see the conection with the attraction and its place in Epcot.Anyway, Lou (and guest) thanks for your hard work and keep it up!

MissFlaversham is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Another great show!!!! Love the guest segments! Thanks again, Lou.........can't wait 'til Sunday!
    a dream is a wish your heart makes.......
    D23 Charter Member

bucknut20 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Great show this week lou has i said in my email loved the epcot segment hopefully we will hear this for all the parks.

eyeinthesky is offline C-Ticket Holder

Exclamation Ok, what the heck is a Dole Whip??

I remember Dole Whips coming up on a previous show but I really didn't pay much attention. I assume it's not native to Disney based on Lou's reply when it was mentioned this week. I think it's hysterical when Lou pretends not to have heard of Universal Studios or the like. So anyway, what's the deal with these Dole Whips?
    Creator, The Best of Walt Disney World
    www.bestwdw.com

jeffcot is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Dole Whips are a kind of inside joke among the hosts and listeners of WDW Today podcast. They are a particular favorite of host (and frequent WDW Radio Show guest) Mike Scopa.
    Jeff Pepper
    Author of 2719 Hyperion
    Disney World Trivia.com and WDW Radio Show Contributor

eyeinthesky is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Thanks Jeff!
    Creator, The Best of Walt Disney World
    www.bestwdw.com