Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
The WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast Discuss Is Disney building in Missouri? What do YOU think?? in the The WDW Radio Show forums; Weigh in and let us know - Is Disney going to build a new theme park in Branson, Missouri as reported in the Springfield News-Leader ? Let us know your ...
    Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - WDW Trivia Book Author and Site Owner/Admin

Question Is Disney building in Missouri? What do YOU think??

Weigh in and let us know - Is Disney going to build a new theme park in Branson, Missouri as reported in the Springfield News-Leader?

Let us know your thoughts! For example:

Do you think it's Disney?

If so, do you think it's a good idea?

Would you go to Branson to visit a DInsey theme park?

Is this/should this be Disney's America?
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

Lil Magic's Mom is offline C-Ticket Holder
    It would have to be seasonal for me. To cold in the winter. LOL
    Only 15 minutes from the back gate of the most wonderful place on Earth!!!

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    There is another story from the Joplin-Globe, with more details: http://www.joplinglobe.com/neosho_ne...109000418.html

Do I think it is Disney? no. My guess, someone who wants to deal with Disney.
    If it is Disney, is it a good idea? New Disney parks would be fun.
    Would I go to Branson? Probably, if it is Disney, I'd want to check it out.
    Disney's America? I doubt it, but it's possible it would incorporate some of the same elements.

Right now, Disney is swimming in cash, and many of the deals they have been making (Western Way and 4 Seasons especially) are designed to funnel more dollars into the company upfront (by having other companies bear the burdens of construction costs). I have no doubt they have something big coming in the future, but whether it's a new park in Missouri, a DVC in NYC, or the purchase of some strategic company (REAL-D? Apple?) or something we haven't thought of yet, we'll just have to wait and see.
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

SamIAm717 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by AKQJ10 View Post
    Weigh in and let us know - Is Disney going to build a new theme park in Branson, Missouri as reported in the Springfield News-Leader?

Let us know your thoughts! For example:

Do you think it's Disney?

If so, do you think it's a good idea?

Would you go to Branson to visit a DInsey theme park?

Is this/should this be Disney's America?
    Well, I am going to Branson this summer (as we often do) and honestly, if Disney were there, you'd be hard pressed to keep me away. Branson would then HAVE IT ALL. Disney's family friendliness would work well with Branson's wholesome, Andy Williams/Lawrence Welk image. I know it would be somewhat seasonal with probably a two month hiatus every year (January and February, maybe part of March). Branson already has a fairly successful theme park which is actually a very enjoyable couple days and it has it's own "thing" going for it. The theme is sort of Ozark Mountain mining and the 1800s. Silver Dollar City has some really nice rides, a lot of "citizens" (like Disney's Castmembers) that perform their handycrafts each day from glass blowing, blacksmithing, basket making, different types of cooking, soap/candle making, etc. It's actually a really enjoyable park although it does lack the Disney magic factor.

As much as I love Disney, I'd be a little bummed if it doomed Silver Dollar City. I like each of them in their own way. Branson has been going upscale the last few years with it's new Branson Landings area which is a shopping/dining and entertainment area on the banks of the Taneycomo River. Sort of like Downtown Disney, without the Disney.

I think Disney would be wonderful in Branson, although it's pretty darn crowded there now. Disney would need to do a full on complex with hotels, restaurants etc. Also, I'd have to say it would serve mostly a driving population unless they are planning on updating Springfield, MO's airport, which isn't exactly large. Branson would actually be the perfect place for Disney in terms of my family. My husband loves to fish and TableRock Lake is a favorite for him. He isn't exactly a huge theme park fan. He could fish his heart out and I could be in a Disney park one day and Silver Dollar City another!!
    “To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America...with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world.”

ChipNDale is offline Yeah, my Rubber Duck wears a Tiara FCOL!
    Do you think it's Disney? Judging by the addresses that are posted on there, it sounds like it could be. Putting in that many rides and stages make me believe that it could be Disney. No other theme park that I have been to have been that into Shows like Disney is.

If so, do you think it's a good idea? I love the idea.. And why... Because it is only 7 hours from my house!!!! That would make it easy to do a three day weekend!

Would you go to Branson to visit a DInsey theme park? Yes yes yes!!! It would be so much cheaper than going to WDW or DL.. But I would still visit WDW just because of all my great memories and all of the fun there is to have there!
    WHAFTFCOL now who wants a cookie!?!
    Copy Right of S&B LLC.
    SITTM... We have an App for that!

Yeah, I like Ninja Rubber Duckies FCOL!

Timbo is offline Fastpass Holder

Post Walt Disney Co. Linked To SW Missouri Project

From TheKansasCityChannel.com (KMBC-TV 9):
    ==================================================
    Walt Disney Co. Linked To SW Missouri Project

POSTED: 10:57 am CDT April 22, 2007
    UPDATED: 5:39 pm CDT April 22, 2007

BRANSON, Mo. -- Speculation is increasing about the Walt Disney Co. possibly taking its magic to Missouri.
    Full story here: http://www.thekansascitychannel.com/...09/detail.html

ChipNDale is offline Yeah, my Rubber Duck wears a Tiara FCOL!
    I wonder when they think the project will be complete no matter what theme park it is.
    WHAFTFCOL now who wants a cookie!?!
    Copy Right of S&B LLC.
    SITTM... We have an App for that!

Yeah, I like Ninja Rubber Duckies FCOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
    From TheKansasCityChannel.com (KMBC-TV 9):
    Walt Disney Co. Linked To SW Missouri Project

POSTED: 10:57 am CDT April 22, 2007
    UPDATED: 5:39 pm CDT April 22, 2007

BRANSON, Mo. -- Speculation is increasing about the Walt Disney Co. possibly taking its magic to Missouri.
    Full story here: http://www.thekansascitychannel.com/...09/detail.html

The plot thickens!!!
    “To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America...with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world.”

redcon1 is offline A-Ticket holder
    There's a discussion going on about this on a Branson message board( I can't post links yet as my post count is not high enough).
    If you google 1branson.com, then search the forums under the topic "Just for chit-chat", you'll find the discussion there.
    One of the poster's included a map of the proposed location. It's a bit further west of Branson, closer to the four-state borders of Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma and Arkansas.
    It's really a good location where you can draw from all four states, plus it's close enough to Branson where you can draw some of the crowds without being in direct competition with Silver Dollar City and their other attractions.
    Plus there's plenty of colleges in the area which would help to provide the needed employees.
    It'd be great news for me, as it would only be about a five or so hour drive from here in St. Louis!

nicks10 is offline @nick_straka
    I can see this from both ways. I would like it because it is alot closer to where I live than WDW or Disneyland and I would probably visit it at least once a year! But I'm not sure, because part of the magic of WDW is that it is always a special trip to me and only comes around so often. I hope Disney does not start building parks all over the place like Six Flags does, because even though all the parks would be way better than six flags, I think it might water down the Disney magic if it becomes too accessible to all parts of the country. Although I could be wrong, and Disney could capture that magic in every single park with every single visit, who knows?
    -Nick

"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy"

TiggerRPh is offline E-Ticket Holder
    I don't believe it's Disney. I can't believe that Disney would be that careless as to actually list corporate address in any documentation.
    Ray

DVC Member - Since 1995
    Old Key West

M-I-C-K-E-Y....I'm a Disney freak.

clion is offline Fastpass Holder

I wouldn't get too excited just yet

First, this site isn't all that close to Branson - about 70+ miles away according to Google Earth. It is a stone's throw from Joplin.

Second, I am from southwest Virginia, and I can remember when reporters (even from my own news station) said it was a sure thing that Disney was going to locate Disney America at the intersection of interstates 81 and 77. Last time I drove by that stretch of Wythe County -- no Disney, no park at all for that matter.

For now, folks should just wait and see if this is the real deal or not.

If it is, I agree with others that this would be a seasonal park. It's too far north to be open during the winter months. Is that something Disney really wants to get into?
    "When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are.
    Anything your heart desires will come to you ..."

Author of the DisneyDaddy blog | Writer for Celebrations Magazine
    D23 Charter Member | Annual Passholder | Named Disney's Biggest Fan (by Disney and United Vacations)

It does seem fishy that they would be so blatant about the address listing. Someone on another board mention that one of the names listed is actually the name of Sharon Disney's first husband who died about a year or so after Walt. Would someone go through all the trouble of a fake corporate name, listings, filings, etc. just to drive up land prices in order to score big $$$ in a sale? Wouldn't that be fraud?

Definitely sounds possible - and may be still in the very early stages of testing the waters - to see what kind of regional / governmental support they might get re roads, taxes, etc. Interesting location being right in the middle of numerous metropolitain centers within a few hours of all directions. I agree that the underlying connection to Disney doesn't quite follow the hush hush of the Florida Project. I'm sure we'll all know the answer someday...

I have family that will be visiting that corner of MO this weekend - maybe I can slip them a few bucks to buy a couple hundred acres near that main interchange south of Joplin ... and sell it to Mariott in a few years .
    Last edited by Rocketeer; 04-23-2007 at 09:37 PM.

Bahimiron is offline A-Ticket holder
    The reason Disney used fake addresses when working in central Florida was that central Florida, at that time, was a pit of useless land. Disney was going to buy it all up for an absolute song and from that build their own functional district on which to construct their complex of parks and recreational options.

If they are building near Branson though, they're looking to buy into an area that's already been developed and is already known to be valuable. As such, there's no reason Disney would not make discovering their involvement minimally difficult. Once it's known Disney is involved, they can then pitch to the city just how valuable their presence would be to the commerce of Branson itself. Restaurants, other attractions, shows and even theme parks would benefit from Disney's presence. Not to mention the shops. Branson is home to a whole load of outlet shops.

As such, it may actually benefit Disney on a cost basis to have it known they are involved. If the land is owned by the city, they can then say 'look at what a benefit you will gain by having us here, sell us the land cheap' and the city will likely do so. If the land is owned by private citizens, Disney can also say to the city 'look at how much better we can use this land' and the city can use eminent domain to snap up the land from private owners, then turn around and sell it to Disney on the cheap.

I'm not saying that I believe or don't believe this story. I do think, however, that if Disney were to really be behind this, they would have no reason to keep their names out of it and in fact may have good reason to be directly connected to the purchase.

As for Lou's suggestion that this might be one of their smaller niche parks, 27 rides and however many theaters doesn't sound too niche to me. It sounds bigger than the Magic Kingdom and MGM combined.

But hey, maybe it's not Disney. Maybe it's Busch Gardens or Universal. Surely Six Flags and Cedar Point can't be the only major theme park companies in America that have a blind spot when it comes to the roughly two thousand miles between the east coast and the west coast.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast