Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
The WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast Discuss Walt as an Audio-Animatronic in the The WDW Radio Show forums; I haven't had a chance yet to listen to this week's podcast, but I was quickly reading the notes and came across the question on whether Walt should be made ...
    Figment1982 is offline A-Ticket holder

Walt as an Audio-Animatronic

I haven't had a chance yet to listen to this week's podcast, but I was quickly reading the notes and came across the question on whether Walt should be made into an audio-animatronic. It's quite a coincidental question for me, as months ago one of my good friends told me that he had an idea for this and continuies to keep talking about it. Basically he wants to replace Tom Morrow in Innoventions and instead have Walt who could interact with guests and answer their questions.

It sounds like an intriguing concept, but at the same time I feel like there is something wrong with the idea of making a robotic Walt. It'd be as if the "frozen under PotC" rumors were indeed true and Walt had risen from the grave to speak at the parks once again - which seems a bit frightening, and somehow it also feels slightly offensive.

I'd love to hear other opinions on the topic - and I look forward to listening to this week's podcast!

T Morrows Child is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Ummm . . . put me on the side against the idea, if only because of all the cryogenic references apt to take place.

Even so, it might be cool to see Walt somewhere as just an Animatronic, without the audio.

Jiminy Cricket is offline Ultimate Park "Hopper"
    1,015; 2 miles from WDW in Central Indiana; Windermere FL
    It is said that the man in the first scene of CoP was modeled after Uncle Walt. If that is the case, Uncle Walt has been a pseudo audioanimatronic since 1964.
    Lord High Keeper of the Knowledge of Right and Wrong, Counselor in Moments of Temptation, and Guide along the Straight and Narrow Path and Oldest Active DWT/WDW Radio Member

DL: 1955* (1); WDW: 1977* (2), 1980* (2), 1985* (3), 1989* (3), 1996 (ASMu-3), 1999 (ASMo-3), 2000 (ASMu-2/PO-2), 2001 (ASMu-5), 2002 (ASMu-5), 2003 (ASMo-5), 2004* (8), 2004 (ASMo-8), 2005 (PC-10), 2006* (15), 2007* (20), 2008* (22), 2009* (26), 2010* (27), 2011* (32), 2012* (39), 2013* (36), 2013* (15), 2013* (9), 2013* (13), 2014* (40) Total Trips/Days = 26/353

*Off Property

ERich2010 is offline just cant get enough
    i think this would be a cool idea. its not like the rumors are true. besides, why does it matter if rumors start going around that already are going around?
    Eric

Yo Ho Yo Ho a Pirates Life for Me...

Bangarang Rufio

nicks10 is offline @nick_straka
    I dont think I would like this. Although it would be cool to see for the Disney enthusiasts like us, I dont think it would be good for the general public. It seems like it would simplify Walt too much. All the casual guests would think of that animatronic as everything Walt was, even though he is responsible for everything we see in the parks right now. I cant really describe what I am thinking, but it just seems like it wouldnt be justifying Walt's extraordinary life. Anyone get what I'm trying to say?
    -Nick

"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy"

the7thAve is offline Pepper's Ghost
    Quote Originally Posted by nicks10 View Post
    Anyone get what I'm trying to say?

definitely.

If we can dream it, we can do it

jeffcot is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Walt was at one time considered as an AA forThe American Adventure. Disney author and historian Jeff Kurtti discussed it in a comment attached to a Lost Imagineering post I did on 2719 Hyperion. Here's what he had to say--

I was told many years ago that Walt Disney was among the figures considered.

Not only was this project in development less than a decade after Walt's death, many of those working on EPCOT Center had worked with him.

Ron Miller is Walt's son-in-law, and still a major power at the Studio at the time, and the idea was quickly dismissed because it was a bit too morbid.

Today, forty years later, Walt seems more of an historical figure. Then, he was a close friend, colleague, adored mentor and in some cases a relative. You can see why such an idea never took wing.
    Jeff Pepper
    Author of 2719 Hyperion
    Disney World Trivia.com and WDW Radio Show Contributor

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    I'm not in favor of Walt as an animatronic, but what's the difference between the presidents being made into animatronics and making one of Walt? (Just thought I'd toss that out to mull over.) As Disneyholics, we tend to glorify Walt. He was a great visionary and an extra-ordinary individual, but he was human. I'd say it's totally up to the family. If they don't feel comfortable with the concept, then I see no reason to keep resurrecting the idea.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

Creambunni is offline It's a small world after all...
    I think that maybe some Walt Disney animatronics could be added to One Man's Dream. They could have animatronics for different stages in his life (like when he was a newspaper boy or back when he first started animating) and add more to an already great attraction.
    "It's a small world after all..."

bucknut20 is offline Fastpass Holder
    I think there should be an AA of walt but don't you think that this should of happened a long time ago.

MissFlaversham is offline C-Ticket Holder
    If an AA of Walt were to be added to the park, it would have to be something that was done very tastefully and, I believe, within an historical perspective. I, too, could see it being added to the American Adventure or a show that, again, makes it historical. I can't see Walt as an interactive figure as I think that would minimalize his contributions to American society and history. Not doing it at all is a-okay with me!!
    a dream is a wish your heart makes.......
    D23 Charter Member

jswalker1981 is offline A-Ticket holder
    I think it would be cool to see an AA of Walt in the COP, for the intro. That was his idea, and it would be cool if he introduced the show.
    The Butabi brothers from Night at the Roxbury:

Doug Butabi: So anyways, I was standing there waiting to use the pay phone.
    Steve Butabi: Yeah, he was, seriously.
    Doug Butabi: And this guy who was on the phone, turns around and tips his hat like this.
    Steve Butabi: And who do you think that guy was?
    Doug Butabi: Lou Mongello.
    Steve Butabi: The Disney World Trivia man, I swear to God, I was there.
    Doug Butabi: Of course you were, you were the one who yelled the Podcaster's name.
    Steve Butabi: I was like, "LOU!!!"

Sonny Eclipse is offline Fastpass Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by Creambunni View Post
    I think that maybe some Walt Disney animatronics could be added to One Man's Dream. They could have animatronics for different stages in his life (like when he was a newspaper boy or back when he first started animating) and add more to an already great attraction.

I agree. This would be a great place to see an AA of Walt.

nicks10 is offline @nick_straka
    Quote Originally Posted by jswalker1981 View Post
    I think it would be cool to see an AA of Walt in the COP, for the intro. That was his idea, and it would be cool if he introduced the show.
    I agree, if they absolutely had to put a Walt animatronic in the parks the Carousel of Progress is the place it should go. I believe Walt once said that he never wanted CoP to be removed from the park (about Disneyland) but now that its here in WDW it should never be removed or replaced. I think its the best choice for a Walt animatronic.
    -Nick

"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy"

Minnie_Mouse007 is offline "Laughter is America's most important export."-Walt Disney
    While I think it'd be totally cool to see Uncle Walt as an AA, it's entirely up to his family. I would really like to see what Walt would have looked like in person, since I was just a "twinkle in my parents eyes" when Walt was alive. I mean, it would give kids a chance to see the creator of this dream. Sorry if this sounds creepy to anyone, but it'd be cool for an interactive Walt, but I'm probably going waaaaaay to far there. I still wish I coulda met the guy though. Now, to find a darn time machine...
    ~Elyse
    GO KNIGHTS!
    I'm a baby Knight! UCF '13

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast