Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
The WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast Discuss Man's Man Disney Addict Support Thread in the The WDW Radio Show forums; I would take issue with the particular use of the word "manly". Disney is a place for families. There is by definition nothing more "manly" than being a family man. ...
    tizzo is offline E-Ticket Holder
    I would take issue with the particular use of the word "manly". Disney is a place for families. There is by definition nothing more "manly" than being a family man.

I absolutely understand the sentiment behind this thread, and the first couple of emails Lou read on the show about how weird it feels being both a "man's man" and a fan of Disney. Been there, done that. When I was in college, the last thing I would have done would have been to say to my frat brothers "hey guys, road trip to Disney World!" -- even though if someone else were to say it I'd quietly pack my stuff and hop in the car. We drank beer together, played sports together, and chased sorority girls together. We were what I would call "men's men" at that time in our lives. And we might have even thought ourselves "manly" at the time. But I can't imagine any of us looking back at those years through the filter of time and concluding that we were anywhere near as "manly" as our fathers.

To anyone who still feels awkward about their love of Disney, whether because they think it's "unmanly" or because they just don't think their friends would understand, there's nothing wrong with you. You're just a little ahead of your peers. In the years to come, you'll find that more and more of your buddies feel the same way you do in general, if not specifically about Disney.

BWDave is offline A-Ticket holder
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin M View Post
    One question, though . . . I just got an iPod a few weeks ago and I'm not very familiar with podcasts and such yet. Where do I find all of this music from the parks that you guys are referring to so that I can add it to my playlist?

Thanks!
    Hi Justin.
    I'll take a shot at your question. By the way, I'm writing this as I eat lunch (a very manly rare burger with raw onions while I research some final tips for our cruise next week ). A far as the podcasts, just use ITunes and use the search function to find WDW related podcasts. There are many. Personally, I just listen to WDW Radio and WDW Today because of my lack of time each week and my 4GB iPod is maxed out (thanks to park music). Speaking of park music, I' ve gotten most of my tracks from compliations sold by Disney at WDW .

Dave

DocTerminus is offline A-Ticket holder

Talking A glass half full...

I prefer to think of it that we are indeed the manly ones! It's those that are opposed to Disney that have the issues...

Of course, I have yet to find anyone of them to admit to their fallacies...

Glenn
    Whatcha doin'? Hibernatin'?

Visit Passamaquoddy
    A Disney blog.
    http://www.passamaquoddy.blog.com

firemedic is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    I have been a firefighter/paramedic for 16 years, I run into burning buildings and hazardous environments without a second thought, and I have seen things that most people just could not comprehend, I firmly believe that if you are not bleeding from somewhere you haven't been working. But I admit it to all of you that I am a hardcore Disney freak!! I also have my mp3 player crammed full of park music and I listen to Disney cd's in my truck even when my kids aren't with me. I can't get enough of WDW!!! There, I said it.

You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.
    Walt Disney

aph
    aph is offline Fastpass Holder
    Count me in! I'm one of those guys too.

Veritas is offline Real Men Dig the Mouse
    With you all the way guys! I'm a Iraq Veteran, beer drinking, gun shooting guy, And I love Disney! I get on the Disney site almost every day, try to get on this site everyday, have my Disney Pins framed and on my wall. I have drawers full of Mickey shirts and actually had a pair of Miceky pajamas i wore in Iraq.

Real Men wear the Mouse!
    Veri S&B LLC WHAFTFCOL

SITTM, No Retreat, No Surrender!

Our Highly Trained Experts Are Always Prepared To "Assist" You.

disneydarling is offline ...and the mome raths outgrabe
    All you WDW Manly Men are making us WDW Girly girls swoon!!!!
    Sisterhood of the traveling pirate in the pants: charter member

A friend will help you mend a broken heart; a best friend will get a shovel and help you dig the hole.

Kick Save is offline A-Ticket holder
    I'm starting to think t-shirts are in order...

Contemporary05...Go Bears! (But I went to Ohio St. )

BWDave, three words for you: Noise Canceling Headphones. No flipping to Zepplin needed, just hit pause and remove them. I can neither confirm nor deny that this is my approach...but I happen to own a pair of Phillips noise canceling headphones.

BWDave is offline A-Ticket holder
    Thanks Kick for the tip.
    Dave

TiggerRPh is offline E-Ticket Holder
    I am one of those guys!!!

Ray

DVC Member - Since 1995
    Old Key West

M-I-C-K-E-Y....I'm a Disney freak.

VistaWay93 is offline A-Ticket holder
    I'm glad to know there's a support group out there for people like me. Season tickets to UT football and basketball, coach of my oldest son's baseball team, and avid hiker and camper. My prize collectible is a statue of Mickey wearing a UT football uni. (Couldn't decide whether it should be displayed in the game room or the Disney office.) But here is an interesting twist. I've spent years listening to the jokes and remarks from friends and colleague's whenever I get back from vacation, but the person that gives me the hardest time is the Mrs! Me and our boys are gung ho about planning trips, getting the latest Disney news, and seeing the latest movies, while she's more "ho hum" on the whole Disney deal. Oh well, we'll wear her down eventually.....

Foolish Mortal is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Great topic, loving some of the stories/replies. Brief mini bio on myself. As for work, I'm a cable tv tech so I'm either drilling holes in your house or playing on a ladder upwards of 30 feet up. I like my music (when I'm not listening to Disney music) loud, hard rock-early heavy metal. You know anything from Aerosmith to say Judas Priest/Iron Maiden. Give me a hard hitting hockey or football game and a few beers and I'm happy. And on top of this I'm a complete Disney fanatic to which most of my co-workers think I'm probably obsesive (?). Maybe it's the sorcerer Mickey tat on my right arm and the Donald tat on my left. And the Disney stickers on my little file cabinet in my work truck. Plus my 2 yearly pilgramages down to WDW.

Hats off to the original voice mailer that was the inspiration for this thread. That was an instant classic.

My Husband is one of those guys! Which makes me love him even more!

JEHI7278 is offline A-Ticket holder
    I'm with you too on this! I work in the tool & die trade, and am a manager of 2+ dozen guys and are also a huge sports fan and most of all Disney. I regularly have some sort of Disney related thing going on, be it a podcast, watching a Disney movie, or just taking Disney in general. I look at it this way: I (we) get it,
    and they don't, which is a shame for them!

Andrewgator is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by Contemporary05 View Post
    I'm one of these guys too. I'm a fan of the big, bad bruisers of the NFL NFC North, the Chicago Bears. . I go to a Big 10 university and attend sporting events there (Go Illini!). I have my favorite pair of worn jeans with the hole in the knee and my baseball hat that hasn't been washed since it was new (5-6 years ago). Seems pretty normal for a guy in his 20s...right?

Amen! except I go to a SEC school maybe you've heard of it. THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP IN EVERYTHING FLORIDA GATORS!!!!!!!!! Absolutely addicted to everything about the WDW resort. I've spent days on youtube searching for good videos of WDW. I think the guys that don't like it are the ones who haven't experienced it at its best. I was spoiled by some family members when I was younger, staying at all the great resorts on property. Now the thought of staying off site is like not even going to the World. The guys that hate it should stay for a week at the boardwalk and play golf in the mornings, then I think their opinions would change. But, who cares if they don't like it. Less crowds for us Disney Geeks right?!

Disney Men are indeed Manly Men!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast