Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
The WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast Discuss WDW Radio Show #26 - August 5, 2007 in the The WDW Radio Show forums; Music is definitely one of the seven wonder of WDW! The round table discussion was fantastic. Everyone had their input and were able to validate their choices. My Disney music ...
    mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    Music is definitely one of the seven wonder of WDW! The round table discussion was fantastic. Everyone had their input and were able to validate their choices.
    My Disney music highlights are the Main Street Musical Parade and the music from Carousel of Progress. Both songs stuck with me from the first time I heard them, and bring back the most wonderful memories.
    I totally agree that the music that was written for Nemo the Musical is amazing. I had my doubts when I heard about the project, but fell in love with the music when I saw the production in May.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

DRC2 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Shelby Twp. , Michigan/ via Hillsboro Oregon
    Great Show! Not living close to the Disney Parks, I listen to the music all the time to help take me to a magical place in my mind. The music can bring back the special memories of all the magical Disney moments that I have enjoyed (at WDW or seeing the movies, etc…) and the music brings images racing though my mind. Music is universal (and could be one of the world’s great wonders) and the importance of the music defiantly makes it one of the great wonders of WDW! Without the music (at WDW), we would lose a lot of the emotions that we experience that make it such a special place in our hearts.

dmart2280 is offline C-Ticket Holder
    My favorite music from WDW is the soundtrack to Illuminations: Reflections of Earth. It's so epic and dramatic, how could you not love and be inspired by it?

Engine5972 is offline A-Ticket holder

American Adventure, Illuminations in Oct 2001

Music is definitely a Wonder of WDW. Thanks for recognizing that and exposing folks to the idea - I've oftenthought that the real richness of Disney parks is in the way they engage all your senses, and let's face it, music is the fastest way for most of us to alter our mood. I happily submit to the emotional manipulation of the Imagineers in this way!

So glad to hear I'm not the only grown man whose eyes well up at the American Adventure and Illuminations. I was welling up just listening to you guys talking about it.

My first WDW trip was in October 2001. The airlines had been flying again for less than 30 days, the crowds were very thin, you could tell all the cast members were a little sad (but smiling thru it) and anything patriotic raised a fierce pride and a huge lump in the throat. On our first evening, we watched the Electrical Water Pageant from the Wilderness Lodge dock. Disney had added the "patriotic tag" onto the end of the show, usually reserved for 4th of July. As I looked around at all the other grownups while the old traditional American songs played and the eagle and flag danced before our eyes, we were all trying to cheer through our tears.

Some of the words George W had recorded months before for his animatronic to present at the Hall Of Presidents were eerily appropriate, talking about the American spirit always prevailing during trials and adversity.

At the American Adventure, "Two Brothers" was surely touching, but "Golden Dream" was almost too much to bear. Several specific lyrics were just so painful (but in that good, healing way, if that makes any sense). "Restless one, in a world of change, keeping dreams aloft in the rain" "America, you must keep dreaming now" "Search for brighter days, soar through stormy skies with your head held high" Those lines really got to me. Honestly, it was a little difficult not to break out sobbing but I had to draw the line somewhere. I felt foolish at first, but then I heard lots of sniffles around me in the sparse crowd. Could that happen at Six Flags?

The hope expressed in Illuminations was a wonderful antidote to the sadness, but again lots of wet cheeks could be seen (including mine). We watched from a waterside table at the UK pavilion, on a wonderful starry night, having just enjoyed berries and lemon cream (said to be one of Walt's favorites). To say my wife and I were "in the Disney Zone" would be putting it mildly. I love how the melody from We Go On is woven into a couple moments of the Reflections Of Earth music. It's a beautiful way to connect the song and the "soundtrack." I remember feeling hugely reassured, oddly. The show and song seemed to be saying, "We're going to be alright. Not tomorrow or the next day, but we'll be alright again." Then the Promise song takes the same ideas and tightens the focus down to family and friendships. It's lovely. It's really quite amazing to realize how much thought and care went into the content of this music. I appreciate it all the more for that richness - you just don't get it in mere theme parks. Big ups to composer Gavin Greenaway!!

Looking back, I'm quite glad that we decided not to postpone the trip. It was a unique time to be there. The national mood made the whole experience a bittersweet blessing rather than just a fun time. It made the privilege of being there all the more special, and we felt the gratitude. There was also a certain air of defiance in being there at all, as if we were thumbing our noses at those foolish enough to think they could scare Americans into submission with anything less than destruction of Biblical proportions, which is the province of God alone. If it's possible that a trip to WDW can be meaningful, that one was.

Something not really mentioned in the podcast was the fact that some music selections are subliminally echoed elsewhere across the property - for example, a version of Golden Dream plays on the Space Mountain concourse, adding a subtle layer of the ubiquitous "hope for the future" and "igniting the imagination" themes you find everywhere in Disney. Nice touch.

And Soarin' - Jerry Goldsmith was a filmscore legend, and I love that the Soarin' soundtrack is among the things he completed just before he passed away. It plays dozens of times a day on both ends of the country. By the time Disney has retooled Soarin' on both coasts, more people will have heard that one composition than probably all his movie scores combined. How cool is that?? Thanks Lou for the story of how deeply he was affected by the images. You can hear that a person put a lot of himself into that music. Not to minimize the ridiculously cool ride system, the inspired idea of inverting an IMAX dome, or the fantastic cinematography, but Soarin's success at getting that visceral reaction in us owes a lot to Jerry Goldsmith.

TiggerRPh is offline E-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by mritty View Post
    That Lou, always the innovator. Not only does he have the best Disney podcast around, but now he's taken it upon himself to develop time travel to leap us two years in the future and show us what the parks will be like! Hey Lou, do we have a fifth gate yet?!

Actually....if you go by what Lou stated when the ticket prices went into effect, this podcast went out on Sunday August 4th. August 4th doesn't fall onto a Sunday until 2013.

Ray

DVC Member - Since 1995
    Old Key West

M-I-C-K-E-Y....I'm a Disney freak.

Comments/Questions on What I've Heard So Far....

Only up to about the 40 minute mark...

Years of a Million Lanyards - I'm sorry Lou...but when is this lame promotion going to end? While I'm happy with the "Magical Moments" that the CM's are able to do....they were always able to do this so this really isn't part of the promotion. This promotion has run it's course and needs to go away. This begs the question...do we have to have a celebration every year? Even if you're in favor of this current promotion....Disney couldn't come up with something new and original?

I do wonder how this affects the legalities that were involved in the promotion. Everyone made a big deal about how on the "up and up" this promotion was yet now they're going to extend it another year. Are there going to be more big "give aways" or are we getting the Dream FastPasses and Lanyards that they didn't give away? Or....is it really going to be the "Year of a Million Magical Moments" since all the prizes from the original promotion should have been given away...right?

Gift Cards - I know Lou mentioned that DVC resorts were included but is this for regular bookings of rooms or will DVC Member reservations be included. I'm not going to assume that we will since whenever these things come out...DVC Members tend to be an after thought.

Seven Wonders - I loved the segment and the great roundtable discussion....well...except for Jonathan's singing.
    Last edited by TiggerRPh; 08-09-2007 at 01:39 AM.
    Ray

DVC Member - Since 1995
    Old Key West

Tinkle Bell??

Ray

DVC Member - Since 1995
    Old Key West

mritty is offline Fastpass Holder
    Tigger, by all means, if you don't like the YoaMD, feel free to give any prize you're awarded to me or anyone else in the parks. We'll accept them graciously and greatfully. It's a wonderful promotion, and I personally am thrilled that it's lasting another year. I LOVE the concept of being randomly surprised by a CM like that.

mritty is offline Fastpass Holder
    Lou, I have to say this week's episode was hard to get through... because every time you and your round table mentioned another song, I felt compelled to stop the podcast and put on my Walt Disney World CD tracks and listen to them. The way you talked about them evoked such great memories and emotions, it was wonderful. I only wish I'd become WDW-obsessed much earlier in life and could have heard all the songs you were talking about from yesteryear.

Thanks for a great great segment!

RoadTrip9 is offline A-Ticket holder
    Quote Originally Posted by Engine5972 View Post
    Music is definitely a Wonder of WDW. Thanks for recognizing that and exposing folks to the idea - I've oftenthought that the real richness of Disney parks is in the way they engage all your senses, and let's face it, music is the fastest way for most of us to alter our mood. I happily submit to the emotional manipulation of the Imagineers in this way!

So glad to hear I'm not the only grown man whose eyes well up at the American Adventure and Illuminations. I was welling up just listening to you guys talking about it.

My first WDW trip was in October 2001. The airlines had been flying again for less than 30 days, the crowds were very thin, you could tell all the cast members were a little sad (but smiling thru it) and anything patriotic raised a fierce pride and a huge lump in the throat. On our first evening, we watched the Electrical Water Pageant from the Wilderness Lodge dock. Disney had added the "patriotic tag" onto the end of the show, usually reserved for 4th of July. As I looked around at all the other grownups while the old traditional American songs played and the eagle and flag danced before our eyes, we were all trying to cheer through our tears.

Some of the words George W had recorded months before for his animatronic to present at the Hall Of Presidents were eerily appropriate, talking about the American spirit always prevailing during trials and adversity.

At the American Adventure, "Two Brothers" was surely touching, but "Golden Dream" was almost too much to bear. Several specific lyrics were just so painful (but in that good, healing way, if that makes any sense). "Restless one, in a world of change, keeping dreams aloft in the rain" "America, you must keep dreaming now" "Search for brighter days, soar through stormy skies with your head held high" Those lines really got to me. Honestly, it was a little difficult not to break out sobbing but I had to draw the line somewhere. I felt foolish at first, but then I heard lots of sniffles around me in the sparse crowd. Could that happen at Six Flags?

The hope expressed in Illuminations was a wonderful antidote to the sadness, but again lots of wet cheeks could be seen (including mine). We watched from a waterside table at the UK pavilion, on a wonderful starry night, having just enjoyed berries and lemon cream (said to be one of Walt's favorites). To say my wife and I were "in the Disney Zone" would be putting it mildly. I love how the melody from We Go On is woven into a couple moments of the Reflections Of Earth music. It's a beautiful way to connect the song and the "soundtrack." I remember feeling hugely reassured, oddly. The show and song seemed to be saying, "We're going to be alright. Not tomorrow or the next day, but we'll be alright again." Then the Promise song takes the same ideas and tightens the focus down to family and friendships. It's lovely. It's really quite amazing to realize how much thought and care went into the content of this music. I appreciate it all the more for that richness - you just don't get it in mere theme parks. Big ups to composer Gavin Greenaway!!

Looking back, I'm quite glad that we decided not to postpone the trip. It was a unique time to be there. The national mood made the whole experience a bittersweet blessing rather than just a fun time. It made the privilege of being there all the more special, and we felt the gratitude. There was also a certain air of defiance in being there at all, as if we were thumbing our noses at those foolish enough to think they could scare Americans into submission with anything less than destruction of Biblical proportions, which is the province of God alone. If it's possible that a trip to WDW can be meaningful, that one was.

Something not really mentioned in the podcast was the fact that some music selections are subliminally echoed elsewhere across the property - for example, a version of Golden Dream plays on the Space Mountain concourse, adding a subtle layer of the ubiquitous "hope for the future" and "igniting the imagination" themes you find everywhere in Disney. Nice touch.

And Soarin' - Jerry Goldsmith was a filmscore legend, and I love that the Soarin' soundtrack is among the things he completed just before he passed away. It plays dozens of times a day on both ends of the country. By the time Disney has retooled Soarin' on both coasts, more people will have heard that one composition than probably all his movie scores combined. How cool is that?? Thanks Lou for the story of how deeply he was affected by the images. You can hear that a person put a lot of himself into that music. Not to minimize the ridiculously cool ride system, the inspired idea of inverting an IMAX dome, or the fantastic cinematography, but Soarin's success at getting that visceral reaction in us owes a lot to Jerry Goldsmith.
    What a nice post, Engine. I was a CM in the UK Pavilion at the time you were there, and it was a strange but unforgettable time - the attitude throughout the whole parks was similar wasn't it? A shining example of how amidst the craziest of happenings in the 'real world', Disney is able to transport you somewhere safe, wonderous and looking forward to a brighter tomorrow.

I have one question on the round-table discussion, Lou - Where was Mike Newell?!!
    I felt sure you'd have him on!

8lovesmickey is offline A-Ticket holder
    Lou,

Great Podcast. I've been meaning to post about this one for a while, but as usual I'm a little behind schedule! To me music is THE wonder of Disney -- not just WDW, but DLR, the movies, the stage shows, and the t.v. shows. Of course none of the wonders could stand alone, but this is the one I would miss the most!

To me Disney and music are linked in a way that's hard to explain. One of my first souvenirs was a 45 record of the Main Street Electrical Parade. I still get the chills when that music cranks up, even though it's now on the iPod and has been a lot of years since the first time I saw it in person. I also had the record of Country Bear Jamboree and I will never forget the feeling of listening to the entire show at home and re-living my trip to Disneyland.

Now when I go to a Disney park, I always try to take time to just listen. There is background music everywhere, and it always fits what's happening or the theme of the area. We were lucky enough to have our first holiday visit to WDW last December, and as usual it was the music I'll remember. The candlelight processional music was awe-inspiring, the music of MVMCP was a blast (including live bands and the parade music, of course), and I was so amazed that the music at each resort fit its theming. We were at POFQ and heard jazzy holiday music as soon as we stepped out of our room. We ate at the Whispering Canyon Cafe and listened to western-style Christmas music. We saw the gingerbread house at the Grand Floridian and enjoyed the classical Christmas music. It went on and on...

As a musician myself, the thing that always astounds me is not just the quantity of the music or the selections themselves, but the quality. The singers and bands are nearly perfect, the songs for each attraction are perfect, and even the fiddlers at the Golden Horseshoe who try to look like idiots are still perfect! About ten years ago I caught a saxophone quartet in ToonTown at DLR and, again, it was perfect.

I'll stop gushing, but thanks again for the reminder of my favorite wonder! I'll finish with two lists-- my favorite "extinct" music and my favorite current music.

Extinct Musical Favorites
    -kitchen cabaret
    -horizons
    -"Believe...there's magic in the stars" fireworks music
    -Country Bear Jamboree (extinct from DLR anyhow)
    -America Sings

Current Favorites:
    -Festival of the Lion King
    -Splash Mtn. Soundtrack
    -Anything at the "American Adventure"
    -Disney's Electrical Parade
    -Soarin Over California
    -Aladdin musical at DCA

I could go on and on...that's the short list : )

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12