Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
The WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast Discuss WDW Radio Show - #27 - Aug. 12, 2007 in the The WDW Radio Show forums; Welcome to the WDW Radio Show, your Walt Disney World Information Station. This is Show #27 for the week of August 12, 2007. To our new listeners, welcome to the ...
    Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - Disney Expert, Host, Author, Speaker and Entrepreneur

WDW Radio Show - #27 - Aug. 12, 2007

Welcome to the WDW Radio Show, your Walt Disney World Information Station. This is Show #27 for the week of August 12, 2007.

To our new listeners, welcome to the show. If this is your first time listening, let me just tell you briefly a little bit about the show. This is a completely family-friendly podcast that focuses on WDW, from our coverage of news and rumors, to trivia, history, vacation planning, reviews, interviews, contests, and a wide variety of other segments presented to you with the help of a number of special guests each week. There's something for everyone, and each show offers something different, so I invite you to visit the web site at WDWradio.com or iTunes, and download some of our older episodes. And since this show is FOR you, I want it to be interactive and want you to be involved as much as you would like. You can send me suggestions, comments, questions or even a segment idea, and who knows, maybe you can join me on the air if you like!

OK, on to this week's show - Let's start off as always with News and Views from Walt Disney World, including of course the big change coming to the Studios. Our visit to the Walt Disney World Rumor Mill will include some possible extra extra magic hours and an old favorite in Epcot possibly reopening later this year.

I am also going to introduce the first in a recurring series entitled, Legends of Disney Imagineering. My first guest certainly qualifies to bear that title and introduction. He is George McGinnis, who played a large part in the creation of the Mark VI monorail, Space Mountain, Horizons, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and countless other attractions and vehicles in Walt Disney World. In this exclusive, one-on-one interview, Mr. McGinnis shares stories of being personally hired by Walt Disney, the triumphs and challenges in creating such attractions as the WEDWay PeopleMover, Space Mountain, Communicore and countless others. He reminisces about working with not only Walt Disney, but a who’s who of Disney legends, including Richard Nunis, Marty Sklar, John Hench, Bob Gurr, Roger Broggie, Claude Coates, and so many others. It is truly something special that I think you’re going to enjoy and was a personal privilege for me to do. And listen very carefully, as he also shares a secret about a change that is likely coming soon to one of his Walt Disney World attractions

Jana Smith from the Let’s talk About Disney Podcast joins me for another, unique take on the Hidden Treasures of Walt Disney World

I will answer a few more of your emails and play some of your voicemails, so sit back, relax and I hope you enjoy this week’s episode of The WDW Radio Show.

Be sure to view this week's complete show notes page.

You can email the show at lou@wdwradio.com or call the voicemail at 206-202-4WDW. Thanks for listening! Be sure to tune in next week to the WDW Radio Show Disney podcast!
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

AAADisneyFan is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Lou...I think the Extra Magic Hours til 5AM sound like fun...I would definatley take an afternoon nap and take advantage of something like that!
    AAADisneyFan
    Eleven Visits Since 2003!!

CrazyPi is offline A-Ticket holder
    I'm an insomniac... I would love to be in the Magic Kingdom until 5am!

Chrissy&Tayen is offline counting down to my vacation
    that would be way cool and it would help with the heat!!!
    All Star Sports July 2006
    All Star Movies October 2007
    Coronado Spring February 2010
    Pop Century October 2010
    All Star Movies September 2011
    Pop Century September 2012
    Chrissy

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    I sure hope they have an adjusted cm schedule for that day. I'd hate to work till the wee hours of the morning, and then turn around to work the next day. I don't think I'd ever manage to stay up that long unless I had traveled through several time zones to arrive in FL.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

Crazy Hakim is offline A-Ticket holder
    Does the show cut off suddenly during the George McGinnis segement? Or is it just me?

nicks10 is offline @nick_straka
    Didnt cut off for me....

Another awesome show Lou, excellent interview, right up there with the Michael Broggie interview on the list for my fav shows. Keep up the great work Lou, they really do keep getting better every week! :
    -Nick

"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy"

jefmblrd is offline A-Ticket holder
    The show ran fine for me; I was just wondering what the secret that George McGinnis alluded to. I've listened to the entire show and have a couple of ideas what it could be, but I'm not certain about it.

Great segment-I really loved listening to it.
    Disney Vacation Club Member
    The Beach Club
    "Remember the Magic"

nicks10 is offline @nick_straka
    I think it was that he was hinting at the rumored refurb of wdw's space mountain.
    -Nick

"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy"

DizWrldTeam5 is offline A-Ticket holder
    5 AM, WOW! I hope they do that. Does anyone knows the dates they might be doing this because me and my family are planning on going if there doing this, or is this stuff still rumored!?

Four Parks. One World. -lAnE
    I cant wait till WDW in Summer 08!

dxer07002 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Was it Space Mountain or the fact that the monorails may be getting an upgrade to what, the Mark 7s?
    TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...
    BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

T Morrows Child is offline C-Ticket Holder
    So, my first reaction to the "Hidden Treasure" was a quick "meh." I shook my head right away until Lou and Jana started talking about it. I think it was Lou who said "when you think about it . . . " and that made me really think about it.

Jana had a dead on great idea and she is "right on" in identifying the kind of connection you get as a "Hidden Treasure." It's only hidden because we accept it as part of the experience without consideration. It is not unique to just a few of us. Nice job, guys.

I go to WDW as much as I can because it is the only place in the world I am guaranteed an amazing -- and new -- experience each time. My wife has joined the joy (although not an active geek like me), and we always have at least 2 trips planned at a time.
    Have you seen my dad? Would you page him for me?

Next Family trip = April 16 - April 23, 2011, staying in an All Star Vacation Home!

CinderellaPug is offline A-Ticket holder
    Quote Originally Posted by DizWrldTeam5 View Post
    5 AM, WOW! I hope they do that. Does anyone knows the dates they might be doing this because me and my family are planning on going if there doing this, or is this stuff still rumored!?
    Weren't the rumored dates for this in Decemeber? Not positive though. I have been at Magic Kingdom pretty late and have always been amazed how many people are there around 1-1:30. A lot of them have kids too. I don't know how enjoyable it would be for me.

Another great show. I can't wait to go in October and get a retro EPCOT t Shirt.
    You can't run away from trouble...ain't no place that far.
    Please stand up before exiting. Bye-bye
    Wait a minute I love that idea!

mritty is offline Fastpass Holder
    You can head to the calendar at the disneyworld.com and see for yourself. For example, on December 30 and 31, the MK is open from 8am - 2am. On the 30th, there's "evening" EMH from 2am-5am, and on the 31st, there's morning EMH from 7am-8am. A whole two hours will the park be closed that night. :-)

Also, the entire week between Christmas and New Years, the MK has morning EMH.

TiggerRPh is offline E-Ticket Holder
    I found the interview with George McGinnis (and you didn't make one basketball reference...which was a bit disappointing) to be very interesting. He's a facinating man.

It took me a while into the "Treasures" segment with Jana. I wasn't quite getting the "treasures" part until you guys got into what you and she meant...then I understood. For me it's more the people you meet and the friends that you finally meet and bum around with at a Disney Park after having chatted with them online, than the family bonding. We're already pretty close and I don't think we get closer at a Disney Park. We share special moments together but I don't think we get closer. The only part I found a bit annoying was Jana's dropping of "I'm a travel agent" more than a few times....yeah...we know that.

The only other comment I have Lou is your description of the Candlelight Processional as the "Christian Version of the Christmas Story". There is no other version of the Christmas Story. The story of the birth of Jesus Christ is inherently Christian...there isn't a Muslim, Jewish, atheist or any other version.

The Candlelight Processional is a beautiful mixture of story, music and song. I have heard of non-Christians enjoying the show for it's beauty.
    Ray

DVC Member - Since 1995
    Old Key West

M-I-C-K-E-Y....I'm a Disney freak.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast