Your Walt Disney World Information Station
The WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast Discuss WDW Radio Show Disney podcast - #30 - Sept. 2, 2007 in the The WDW Radio Show forums; Welcome to the WDW Radio Show, your Walt Disney World Information Station. This is Show #30 for the week of September 2, 2007. There is a lot of Walt Disney ...
    Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - Disney Expert, Host, Author, Speaker and Entrepreneur

WDW Radio Show Disney podcast - #30 - Sept. 2, 2007

Welcome to the WDW Radio Show, your Walt Disney World Information Station. This is Show #30 for the week of September 2, 2007.

There is a lot of Walt Disney World News this week, including updates on the O, Canada! show, Disney’s Pin Celebration 2007, the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique, changes to the reservations system and more.

And if you enjoy some of the news, you’re going to love this week’s visit to the Walt Disney World Rumor Mill, as it is packed with some very interesting tidbits, including what’s going on backstage at the Wonders of Life pavilion, what’s going on onstage at the ABC Theater, High School Musical and it’s connection to the Hunchback of Notre Dame, surprises in store at the Imagination pavilion, what to expect when Spaceship Earth reopens, the possibility of a new E-Ticket attraction and so much more. Lots of breaking rumors here with some interesting facts to back much of them up, so be sure to listen in!

Last week as part of ourEPCOT Retrospective series we profiled the Imagination pavilion, and many of you wrote or called in and said that it was your favorite pavilion, and were still fans of Figment. Well this week I have a special treat for you. As part of my Legends of Disney Imagineering feature, I have an exclusive interview with former Imagineer Steve Kirk, who came up with the initial concepts for Figment and the Dreamfinder, as well as the Journey Into Imagination attraction. He also helped develop some of Disney’s most memorable characters, attractions, pavilions, and even complete theme parks. And for more than a decade, he served as the creative leader of Tokyo DisneySea in his role as Senior Vice President. We also talk about Epcot, the Studios and so much more, and I think you’re really going to enjoy this.

I’ll take a trip aboard the Walt Disney World Wayback Machine with Jeff Pepper as we explore another lovable character and his companion. This time, it’s the little Orange Bird from the Sunshine Pavilion in Adventureland. We’ll talk about who this little bird was and where he came from, his on again off again relationship with Anita Bryant, why he flew the coop, and a surprising place you can find him now.

W e’ll announce the winner of our recent WDW Half Marathon Challenge Contest, and announce the latest contest with the help of Eric Hollister from GeoMouse.com and Matt “Cretaceous” Hochberg from MGMStudios.org.

I’ll get through some more of your emails and voicemails as well, so sit back, relax enjoy this week’s episode of The WDW Radio Show.

Be sure to view this week's complete show notes page.

You can email the show at lou@wdwradio.com or call the voicemail at 206-202-4WDW. Talk about the show by visiting and posting in the WDW Radio Show message forums at DisneyWorldTrivia.com.

Thanks for listening! Be sure to tune in next week to the WDW Radio Show Disney podcast!
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

RedRoseVicar is offline A-Ticket holder
    Great show! I can't call myself a huge fan of the original Imagination ride (I rode it only once when I was in the 6th grade - my sister, then 3rd grade, loved it), but I still enjoyed hearing about the behind-the-scenes ride. I can't say I'm a fan of the new ride, either. I rode it last time I was there three years ago (didn't know it had changed until we were on it) with my mom. We were both so bored with it, we began talking only to be scared by the loud noise taking our photo.

Thanks for the reminder about the orange bird. I had forgotten him (her?) until I saw the photo - I don't remember anything being said in the show that he had a big orange (the fruit) for a head!

Interested to hear about the show about Dinosaur (one of my favourite rides) - I missed a few episodes with holiday and such over the summer. Can anyone tell me which one it was? Thanks!

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    I do not remember the Orange Bird, though I am old enough to remember Anita Bryant and the fisco that followed her comments. Great show.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

fortuosity is offline NOW APPROACHING...
    Trapped in the Earful Tower with the Animaniacs
    New E-Ticket Attraction... In about 3 years... Would it have anything to do with WALL-E? Or possibly Meet The Robinsons?

Anyway, great show as always
    More Beer? What For Nothing Helps... Get Me Five Dozen Eggs Instead
    Imagination! Imagination! A Dream Can Be A Dream Come True With Just A Spark In Me And You

America, Keep On Flying Now. Keep Your Spirit Free, Facing New Frontiers

Cinderella CastleSpaceship EarthTree Of LifeEarful Tower

mattj4226 is offline Fastpass Holder
    I think a "Figment Resturant" in the pyramids would be an AWSOME idea. When I heard this, it made me think of the Animator's Palate resturant on the DCL. Maybe they could take this current resturant idea and redo it with a figment/imaginaiton theme.

Just my 2 cents.
    - Matt
    Allaboutthemouseketeer #155
    http://anotherdisney.blogspot.com/
    http://mattspoliticalrants.blogspot.com/

2009 & 2010 WDW Half Marathons, 2009 Disneyland Half Marathon,

Next Visit to the World: March '09 for Princess Half Marathon Weekend?

PolynesianMedic is offline Don't do anything you wouldn't want to explain to a Paramedic
    Another awesome show Lou. Just another example of why you have won this podcast award two years in a row. Great work, keep it coming and I can't wait till next weeks show.
    My Blog
    My Photo's

"Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things... and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney

SamIAm717 is offline Fastpass Holder

Talking

I vividly remember the Anita Bryant fiasco as it was one of the first of its kind. I didn't really remember the little orange bird until I saw his picture and then it was one of those "Oh Yeah..." moments.

It brought me back to the days before kindergarten when I was still home with my Mom all day and The Little Orange bird did a lot of TV commercials.

Thanks for that walk down memory lane. I love remembering the little bits and pieces of my childhood.

Great segment Lou & Jeff!
    “To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America...with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world.”

Passarino6 is offline Dreaming of Something Disney!

Imagination Restaurant

I admit that when I suggested the idea for the Image Works restaurant idea, I had thought of the Animator's Palette on the cruise lines. I really think this idea would be great. Even if they couldn't do it in the Image Works, I would still go if it were in a new addition next to the pavilion...maybe to the left of the entrance behind the Soarin' building? Anyway, glad people liked the idea and thanks for reading the e-mail, Lou.
    -Kevin

If we can dream it, we can do it.

mattj4226 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Great minds really do think alike!
    - Matt
    Allaboutthemouseketeer #155
    http://anotherdisney.blogspot.com/
    http://mattspoliticalrants.blogspot.com/

2009 & 2010 WDW Half Marathons, 2009 Disneyland Half Marathon,

Next Visit to the World: March '09 for Princess Half Marathon Weekend?

nicks10 is offline @nick_straka
    Love the restaurant idea, there really arent that many good sit down restaurants in Future World. This would do the trick, sounds like an awesome idea!
    -Nick

"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy"

VistaWay93 is offline A-Ticket holder
    I love the Orange Bird segment! I lived in Orlando when I was a little kid in the late 70's and had completely forgotten about it

NJDISNEYFAN is offline C-Ticket Holder
    I had forgotten about the Orange Bird, but I TOTALLY remembered the fruit shapped juice sippers (Apple, Orange, etc.)

Thanks for bringing back such a great memory from my youth.