Your Walt Disney World Information Station
The WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast Discuss WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast #39 - Nov. 4, 2007 in the The WDW Radio Show forums; Welcome to the WDW Radio Show, your Walt Disney World Information Station. This is Show #39 for the week of November 4, 2007. This week, we have a slightly shorter ...
    Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - Disney Expert, Host, Author, Speaker and Entrepreneur

WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast #39 - Nov. 4, 2007

Welcome to the WDW Radio Show, your Walt Disney World Information Station. This is Show #39 for the week of November 4, 2007.

This week, we have a slightly shorter show, as circumstances have prevented me from being able to cover the news and rumors this week. But that's OK, as this week I have a few segments that I think you'll enjoy:

First, Steve Barrett, our resident Hidden Mickeys expert, joins me once again to talk about what's new and notable in the world of Hidden Mickeys, and asks you to vote on some questionable onces.

In my Legends of Disney interview series, I am pleased to welcome Bill "Sully" Sullivan to the show, as he and I sit down to talk about his fairy tale beginnings with the Disney Company, to his rise in the organization and various roles in Walt Disney World. He reminsces about working for and with Walt Disney, and shares some memorable stories about his amazing experiences through his 38 year career.

Eric Hollister and I also have our 8th winner in the WDW Half Marathon Challenge Contest, as well as out next contest and announcement of the grand prize!

I'll answer some more of your emails so as always, please sit back, relax and enjoy this week's episode of the WDW Radio Show.

Be sure to view this week's complete show notes page.

You can email the show at lou@wdwradio.com or call the voicemail at 206-202-4WDW.
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

Andrewgator is offline D-Ticket Holder

Another Great Show

Mongello!

Great show again Lou. This weeks interview was very entertaining. One of the best yet. Thanks for getting to my E-mail.

Have a great week.

WVParkfan is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Lou,
    This was my very first podcast, ever! My DS13 finally taught this old man how to download the podcast into my MP3 player.

Anyway, it was outstanding. I plan to listen to previous episodes as I have time, but I will certainly be listening to all future ones.

Thanks for what you do!

Scott

FigmentMushu is offline Chuck & Leigh
    Couldn't find the Dreamfinder post you talked about on your Podcast.

If The Dreamfinder was to return in a 3-D movie, I think it would be a mistake to have a famous actor play him. The Dreamfinder is a great character unto himself, and I wouldn't want to see him become like the Genie, who is forever connected to Robin Williams.

But then I thought of the great Pin series that came out a few years ago with famous Disney characters dressed as the Dreamfinder. I think this could be wonderful, an All-Star 3-D attraction with famous Disney stars (real life and animated) all trying (and failing) to take on the role of Dreamfinder. By the end of the film, the real Dreamfinder (played by a talented unknown) shows up. While all the Dreamfinder hopefuls have great Imagination, they realize that they can't compare to the Master.

And of course, Figment has to be a part of the film as well. He can either be the one casting the part or show up at the end with the real Dreamfinder.

And to offer a correction... I was the one who sent in the email about the grown up afraid to approach Disney characters. It was on my wife's computer and HER email name is 'Goofy'. As you can see, I am all about the Figment.
    Thank you for answering my email, Lou. You made it easier for me to admit that I'm a Disney Geek, and now I'm much, much happier.
    Last edited by FigmentMushu; 11-07-2007 at 12:50 AM.
    Dreams Never Die!

vowell1055 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    I'm all for Brian Blessed as Dreamfinder. He's got a great booming voice, he's jolly as all get-out, and that wide-mouthed laugh of his is so infectious, you can't help but love the guy. If you're having trouble placing him, he was in, among other things, Flash Gordon as Prince of the Hawkmen, the first Blackadder series as Richard IV, and a number of Brannagh's Shakespeare films (Much Ado, Henry V). He'd be perfect, I tell ya.

Edit: Just in case, I checked. He's not dead. Woo hoo!
    Last edited by vowell1055; 11-07-2007 at 12:08 PM.

bigbrian-nc.com is offline WDW: A History In Postcards
    Wow another fantastic episode, with an unbelievably great interview, Billy Sullivan had such a career! though I hope you get a chance to do another interview with him some day and see if he'll do some follow ups. I'd love to know more about the early days of WDW, I know he metnioned he was involved with the preview center, I'd love to more about that, and there are so many early aspects of WDW I'm always curious about, there would be a fair number of things about that era I'd like to know, he made a couple of comments about Tokyo that seemed ripe for follow up questions (like saying they've done something "interesting" with thier merchandise...What?)

That said I don't want to sound like I'm complaining here, because I'm not, this was a fantastic piece and for a first interview it was more appropriate to get more of an overview of his carrer as you did. Still, it would just be fantastic if you got the chance to do more with him that's all I'm saing.

He didn't seem too awfully shy about sharing his opinions, while he didn't say anything bad about the way things currently are, he still let his feelings be known with his "diplomatic answer". Still, even in the times he worked there I'm sure that there were things that went away for one reason or another (the Swan boats, one of the two riverboats, the side-wheel steamers) ...there are simply times when resources can be better spent to do things that will affect in a positive way the visits of a greater number of guests, and it seems to me that he may have been in a position where he had to make some of those tough decisions, it would be interesting to hear if there was anything that went away while he was still there that he particularly misses, as well as finding out some of the things he's fond of that went away in the years since he left.

That said I'm sure you had probably thought of a lot of these questions and more, but I just had a blast listening to this I hope that with the sucess you've had in landing these great interviews and as your network of contacts continues to grow that these types of interviews continue to come to you, You Rock Buddy!
    Last edited by bigbrian-nc.com; 11-07-2007 at 02:20 PM. Reason: spelling grammar and generalling fixing poorly constructed sentances

Walt Disney World: A History in Postcards

qsac17 is offline A-Ticket holder
    Brian,

Didn't the Admiral Joe Fowler (second of two riverboats) actually suffer enough damage in dry dock that it was retired? I didn't think that was a 'cost saving measure', more of an accident from what I've read. Either way...

Great show Lou!

Caspian is offline A-Ticket holder
    The interview with Sully was another home run. Thanks for the great episode, Lou.

LD

Iago33 is offline A-Ticket holder

great show

Another fine show. Very cool to hear the inside stories of those who worked with Walt. Got to meet you Lou Saturday at The Magic Kingdom. Thanks for your kindness. Hope you and your family had a great time. Mine did.

unc23 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Lou another excellent podcast. Keep up the good work and hope to run into you at next years Magic Meets. Being a teacher I cannot get out of school for Mousefest. Hope you all have a great time!!
    The #1 Weekly Newsletter for Disney Information. Make sure to sign up to receive our weekly Disney newsletter:

http://wdwnewsletter.com

oldschooledge is offline A-Ticket holder
    I love how Lou said it would be a " slightly shorter show" and it still ran almost a hour and a half.