Your Walt Disney World Information Station
The WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast Discuss WDW Radio Show #44 - Dec. 9, 2007 in the The WDW Radio Show forums; Welcome to the WDW Radio Show, your Walt Disney World Information Station. Thank you for tuning in once again. This is Show #44 for the week of December 9, 2007. ...
    Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - WDW Trivia Book Author and Site Owner/Admin

WDW Radio Show #44 - Dec. 9, 2007

Welcome to the WDW Radio Show, your Walt Disney World Information Station. Thank you for tuning in once again. This is Show #44 for the week of December 9, 2007.

With this week being MouseFest, the annual gathering of Disney fans from around the world in Walt Disney World, I have to record the show early, so there won’t be any news or rumors this week.

But to celebrate the holiday season, I welcome back Tim Foster from Guide to the Magic to discuss our Top 10 Favorite Christmas Moments in Walt Disney World, as we explore some of the places and ways to spend the holidays in and around the parks and resorts.

This is also a great opportunity to answer a number of your emails, so Jeff Pepper joins me to answer questions about everything from Epcot Vybe, to The Making of Me, the steel drum band in Adventureland, Discovery River Taxi, Disney’s Animal Kingdom and many more.

So sit back, relax and enjoy this week’s episode of the WDW Radio Show.

Be sure to view this week's complete show notes page.

You can email the show at lou@wdwradio.com or call the voicemail at 206-202-4WDW. Thanks for listening! Be sure to tune in next week to the WDW Radio Show Disney podcast!
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

River is offline A-Ticket holder
    Tim made me chuckle when he talked about wanting to control the lights on his tree like in Carousel of Progress. Reality is closer than he thinks. My brother-in-law has a beta version of a high-end home lighting system, and all his Christmas lights are hooked into the system. Every night at 10pm, the candles in his windows as well as the lights on the tree go dim. If it can be done with buttons and computers, can voice-activated controls be far behind?

This was yet another fun podcast, and I can't wait to hear the MouseFest wrap-up!

SciFi96 is offline A-Ticket holder
    II was thinking that too. Didnt the Lutron exhibit at Innoventions have ideas like that?

River is offline A-Ticket holder
    Exactly. The exhibit at Innoventions was older technology. They can do even more now.

(Disclaimer - I recently installed some beta product from Lutron that even over a week later, I'm still gushing over how neat the 'toy' is. Some days it's fun to be an engineer.)

mritty is offline Fastpass Holder
    The House of Innovation in Innoventions has a living room where the computer and TV are controlled by voice commands. Hard to imagine that it would be very difficult to use the same technology on a string of Christmas lights...

Spyne is offline Fastpass Holder
    I'm a little late, but great show Lou. It was great hearing you and Tim Foster talk about Christmas moments in WDW, hopefully one year I can be there during Christmas itself. The closest I've gotten was my last trip in Thanksgiving 2000 and the decorations were up. Memories...

Great e-mail segment with Jeff too, some good questions were definitely answered.
    Keep it cool, and keep moving forward!

Trips to Walt Disney World

1995: Port Orleans French Quarter - 2000: All-Star Music
    2008: Caribbean Beach - 2009: Pop Century
    NEXT TRIP: Sep/Oct 2011 - WDW's 40th Anniversary!

SeventeenPluto is offline A-Ticket holder
    Woohoo! Lou and Jeff answered my email about the Adventureland steel drum band! I was pleasantly surprised how fast they responded too. I sent it about two and a half weeks before the podcast was released. Anyway, it was a pretty big deal for me and my bro because we're long time listeners yet that's our first email to the show.

Thanks Lou and Jeff!

Now if I can only get my hands on a J.P. & the Silver Stars album.

NitroStitch is offline A-Ticket holder

Michael and Mickey

I'm trying to catch up on podcasts, and finally caught up to Show #44. It was such a thrill to hear a question about and discussion of the old film that introduced upcoming Disney features in the Coming Attractions Theater at the end of the true Backstage Tour. No matter how many times I saw it, it made me chuckle to see Michael Eisner check his Mickey watch - and see Mickey check his Michael Eisner watch. My other favorite part was when Mickey asked Chernabog if he could move and Chernabog unfolds his wings to his full dramatic music. Then Michael Eisner arrives (maybe he was getting popcorn?) and Chernabog immediately got meek and smaller and meekly says "Oops. Sorry Mr. Eisner." Then the movie preview starts. I think I remember reading or hearing that the short intro with all the characters was called "Michael and Mickey."

I really wish that Disney would release a DVD with all those Backstage Magic film bits (Mel Gibson and Pee Wee Herman and C3PO and R2D2 illustrating Automatic Dialogue Replacement and close ups, mid shots and a loooong shot come to mind). That same dream DVD ought to contain the old Animation Tour process demonstrations with Robin Williams, Walter Cronkite and animators!

Anyway, thanks for bringing back great old memories, guys!
    Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Never a thank you. Never a job well done.