Your Walt Disney World Information Station
The WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast Discuss Technical Help with podcasts in the The WDW Radio Show forums; OK, I'm sure this has been asked a million times, but I'm new to the podcasts and I need some help. I prefer to download the podcasts onto my computer, ...
    WVParkfan is offline B-Ticket Holder

Technical Help with podcasts

OK, I'm sure this has been asked a million times, but I'm new to the podcasts and I need some help.

I prefer to download the podcasts onto my computer, and then put them on a CD to listen to in the car. I don't download them to an I-pod, because I don't have one, and I don't have any way of listening to an MP3 player through my car stereo. I like having them on CD's so that I can share them with my wife, and she can listen on her way to work, too.

My problem is this: many of the podcasts are too large to put on a CD. And, for the ones that I am able to put one on a CD, the files are so large that I can only put one on there.

What I want to know is this... how can I compress the MP3 audio that I have downloaded, so that I can fit more than one podcast onto a CD? I have a free version of real player, and the windows media player on my computer. Will either of these allow me to compress these audio files to do what I want, or is there a better way that I can download the podcasts so that they are smaller files?

I'll take all the help I can get.

Thanks!
    Scott
    Last edited by WVParkfan; 01-16-2008 at 09:35 AM.

harra is offline Fastpass Holder
    Scott,

FIrstly, the MP3 audio format is already a compressed format, so I'm not sure how much smaller you are going to get it.

Secondly, are you trying to burn them onto a CD in CD-Audio format or are you storing them as MP3's?

Because if you are burning them onto your CD in MP3 format, I don't know why you cannot get more than one on a CD. The largest file I have for Lou's podcast is 100MB and that was back in March 2007. The average is about 60-70MB and you can get about 700MB of data onto a CD.

Now, if you are telling your burning software to convert them to CD-Audio (meaning your CD player doesn't play MP3s and you have to convert them in order to play them), then that could be the basis of your problem. If that's the case, no manner of compression is going to help you because it will just decompress them when converting to CD Audio Format
    Ray
    Head Grump
    Grumpy's Hollow

tizzo is offline E-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by WVParkfan View Post
    OK, I'm sure this has been asked a million times, but I'm new to the podcasts and I need some help.

I prefer to download the podcasts onto my computer, and then put them on a CD to listen to in the car. I don't download them to an I-pod, because I don't have one, and I don't have any way of listening to an MP3 player through my car stereo. I like having them on CD's so that I can share them with my wife, and she can listen on her way to work, too.

My problem is this: many of the podcasts are too large to put on a CD. And, for the ones that I am able to put one on a CD, the files are so large that I can only put one on there.

What I want to know is this... how can I compress the MP3 audio that I have downloaded, so that I can fit more than one podcast onto a CD? I have a free version of real player, and the windows media player on my computer. Will either of these allow me to compress these audio files to do what I want, or is there a better way that I can download the podcasts so that they are smaller files?

I'll take all the help I can get.

Thanks!
    Scott
    First, there are two ways to burn audio onto a CD. First, you can burn the raw audio, which is uncompressed, but that all CD players can play. The problem here is that a CD can only contain a fixed amount of time in this format. No matter how compressed or small an MP3 file you have, if it plays longer than 80 minutes you can't fit it on a CD in this format.

More recent CD players can also play CDs that have MP3 files on them. If your CD player has this capability it will probably have MP3 stamped on the front panel somewhere. In this mode, the important think is megabytes, not minutes. A CD can hold up to 700 MP of data. As someone else mentioned, MP3 files are already compressed. The largest podcast I've ever downloaded was something like 80MB and ran well over 90 minutes. At this rate you could fit several hours of podcasts on a CD.

Now I don't know what kind of CD burning software you're using, but for most of them you have some kind of choice to make between burning a data CD or an audio CD. When you burn an audio CD, even if you are putting the contents of an MP3 file on it, the software still uncompresses the MP3 file to the proper format, meaning that you are limited to 80 minutes on your CD period.

If your CD player supports it, you'll want to burn an MP3 CD. Perhaps counter intuitively, an MP3 CD is NOT an audio CD -- it is a data CD that contains one or more MP3 files. So to burn this type of CD you tell your CD software you want to make a data CD, and then copy the MP3 file containing your podcast onto it. Keep in mind that the disk you end up with will only play on newer CD players with MP3 capability.

If your CD player can't play MP3 CDs, you have one more option. I myself use an older MP3 player that doesn't let you resume listening to a file where you left off, and doesn't FF or REW very quickly at all. So I use a free program I found on the net called MP3 Splitter Light to split longer podcasts into sections about 8 minutes long. That way if I have to shut off say around 35 minutes into a 60 minute show, I just have to go to the fifth section and FF by a couple of minutes, rather than having to FF 35 minutes into the whole thing. It's a bit of a hassle, but it works for me, and it will allow you to break those longer podcasts into 80 minute chunks that will fit on a CD. The web page for this program is here:
    SourceForge.net: MP3 Splitter

WVParkfan is offline B-Ticket Holder
    harra & tizzo,
    THANKS!!! That was it! I was burning the CD's as an audio file. I checked in the menu on RealPlayer, and found that I could burn the files as MP3 files. It worked perfectly, and I was able to put several of the podcasts on one CD!

Thanks so much for your help.

Scott