Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
The WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast Discuss River Country - What would YOU do? in the The WDW Radio Show forums; OK, so you have been put in charge of doing something... anything with the old River Country location. Time and money (for the most part) are no object. What would ...
    Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - WDW Trivia Book Author and Site Owner/Admin

River Country - What would YOU do?

OK, so you have been put in charge of doing something... anything with the old River Country location. Time and money (for the most part) are no object. What would YOU do with that venue? Be creative, and have fun!
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

disneymaniac87 is offline Counting Down To My Next Trip!
    fix the problems and restore and open it back up!!! River Country was my fav water park.. especially since my family and i stayed in Fort Wilderness alot. They should reopen.. i miss it alot!
    *Sarah*
    My Disney Vacations
    '92, '93, '94, '96, '97, '99, '03, '05, '06, '09, '10, '11, '12(x2)

"All you need is faith and trust..."

albino_pygmy is offline The voice of the Jungle
    I've never been to any of the waterparks at Disney, so I wouldn't know how River Country was laid out or big it is. However, I do have an idea that might work out, and help with some big mistake that's been terrorizing tomorrowland for several years. If you're thinking something Stitch themed, you're right. I was thinking how about a Hawaiian themed water park with several aliens hiding in bushes, or in plain sight with some horrible disguise in a bad attempt to blend in with "tourists." Several slides could have some advanced alien technological theming with them, such as an alien ship that has crash landed and you could either swim through it and explore the ship, or just a little scene that you experience while going down a slide. Hopefully having a whole water park themed to Stitch will give them more than enough reason to replace stitch's escape with something that would better fit the tomorrowland theme.

magicforever is offline A-Ticket holder
    What would I do with River Country? Well, I am a lover of Fort Wilderness Campground. I also experienced my first water park at River Country. The memories I have are few because I am still a young one. I do remember wondering if there were gators and such in the water and enjoying the slides with my cousin. I would not bring it back as a water park open for all of those visiting WDW. First, I don't think it is big enough. They really would have to expand it and update it to keep this thrill seeking society happy. What I would love to see it an update of the modest kind. The Fort does not have a themed pool. While I am happy to visit the large pool that exists.....I think a semi-water park for its guest would be wonderful.

Hypermommy is offline Fastpass Holder
    I think that location would be a cool place for a youth primitive campground. They could set up another Education Series program about pioneering and the expansion of America. A trip to the American Adventure in Epcot would be mandatory for something like this, of course. A lunch over at Tom Sawyer island would be a fun addition to the program too. And then the rest of the time could be spent on pioneering projects such as building a tower or gateway. The River Country area would be a wonderful place to do stuff like this and it would be relatively inexpensive and a lot of fun for the kids that get to enjoy it.
    Hypermommy

Sorria is offline Fastpass Holder
    I would restore it and open it up as a swimming area for the guests that stay at the Fort Wilderness Campground. The rest of the resorts have themed pools while the campground more or less has your normal pool (or at least they did last time I was there) that you could go swimming in anywhere.
    Upcoming Trips to WDW:

Dec 6-10: Disney Wonder
    Dec 10-19: Port Orleans French Quarter

dishippy is offline A-Ticket holder
    I would definitely restore this water park, modernize a bit to keep the wear factor down. But I would keep the feel of how it used to be. Maybe throw in a couple new attractions, new slides, maybe a zip line or something. Make it like a summer camp at the lake style of water park. I think a lot of people (including myself) would enjoy that. Laters.
    Dis Hippy
    AATM #31
    http://dishippy.blogspot.com

Spyne is offline Fastpass Holder
    I would definitely clean up the park and re-open it! It is such a great location, and a perfect location for a water park like River Country.

Also for sanitary reasons, it would have it's own, clean water supply. Basically the same as what Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach have. It's a shame the area right now is rotting away, but I'd definitely clean it up and restore it.
    Keep it cool, and keep moving forward!

Trips to Walt Disney World

1995: Port Orleans French Quarter - 2000: All-Star Music
    2008: Caribbean Beach - 2009: Pop Century
    NEXT TRIP: Sep/Oct 2011 - WDW's 40th Anniversary!

shmedly123 is offline A-Ticket holder
    just looked at the property from the live search...wow it is depressing to look at.

Justin M is offline Fastpass Holder
    Wow - - -there are some neat ideas here. Of course I would love to see it back open again (I went there on my very first Disney trip in the early to mid 80's). I also like the idea of a large themed pool / entertainment area for the campground and resort. The idea of a summer camp at the lake themed water park was pretty cool too. Zip lines, rope courses, etc all could fit with the location and the proximity to the campground.

Given the popularity of the movies and rides and the resistance at WDW by some to see any further influx of Pirates themed stuff (i.e. on Tom Sawyer's Island, etc.) I would try to reinvision the place as a completely new Pirates cove area full of ships, treasures, slides, caves, characters, etc.

I know, I know . . . a lot of people don't want to see any more Pirate attractions, but it could be an homage to the original attraction as well as a tip of the hat to the films. As much as I fondly remember River Country, I'm not sure (due to size mostly) that it would hold it's own against the other water parks in 2008. So, ride the wave of popularity and draw all those ravenous Pirate fans out there for a truly immersive experience. . .
    Justin

www.dreamcmo.com

Send your questions about my CMO experiences to Justin@dreamCMO.com and you just might make it on the site!

Find me on 'Facebook' as well! http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=506475946

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpxsEymi9SE - CMO Blooper reel
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiIo5xUlQkg - CMO "Adventurosity Remix"

butch61 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    I think they should definitely open it up again as a water park, and possibly have special events and themes for different days or weeks.
    Disney Magic Forever

dkcarter is offline A-Ticket holder
    I just returned from Fort Wilderness in Feb. 11-28th. I had a talk with Jean the manager of Fort Wilderness and the Wilderness Lodge. She said about 18 months ago WDI did concept drawing on River Country for the FW pool. The cost to convert River Country was twice as much as new pool. River Country would need all new pumps systems. In Jan 09 Fort Wilderness is suppose to be building new themed (Disney) pool with water slide and hot tub. Campground will also be improving about 60% of sites, bigger cement pads, new tables and barbeque area, and cable on all sites. Some of the camping loops 100,200. 1600-1900 are in wetlands and won’t be improved. The cost of improvements I think was 10 million dollars.

GIOny is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    I can't believe that Disney doesn't see the potential in bringing back River Country and Discovery Island, especially with everyone being so green/eco-friendly. I would think they could promote both places with that in mind. It just seems so sad that those places sit and rot while more and more DVC's are being built (nothing against DVC's but it just seems like that is where all the money is going). I would love to see them both restored with updates of course and maybe make them free to Fort Wilderness guests but with ticket options for other guests.
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible!

disneydarling is offline ...and the mome raths outgrabe
    Like most here, clean up and re-open
    Sisterhood of the traveling pirate in the pants: charter member

A friend will help you mend a broken heart; a best friend will get a shovel and help you dig the hole.

shmedly123 is offline A-Ticket holder
    Quote Originally Posted by GIOny View Post
    I can't believe that Disney doesn't see the potential in bringing back River Country and Discovery Island, especially with everyone being so green/eco-friendly. I would think they could promote both places with that in mind. It just seems so sad that those places sit and rot while more and more DVC's are being built (nothing against DVC's but it just seems like that is where all the money is going). I would love to see them both restored with updates of course and maybe make them free to Fort Wilderness guests but with ticket options for other guests.
    the dvc's have a huuuge profit margin so I would expect Disney to be building them for as long as there is demand.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast