Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
The WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast Discuss WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast #61 - April 6, 2008 in the The WDW Radio Show forums; Welcome to the WDW Radio Show - your Walt Disney World Information Station. I am your host Lou Mongello, and I want to thank you for tuning in again this ...
    Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - Disney Expert, Host, Author, Speaker and Entrepreneur

WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast #61 - April 6, 2008

Welcome to the WDW Radio Show - your Walt Disney World Information Station. I am your host Lou Mongello, and I want to thank you for tuning in again this week. This is show #61 for the week of April 6, 2008.

In this week’s Walt Disney World News, there is some important information coming from the Walt Disney World Resort about what the future holds for Guests looking to stay on property, as well as more from the resorts and the Magic Kingdom. The Walt Disney World Rumor Mill was quiet this week, but stay tuned next week for more rumors from the parks.

I also want to bring you what I can best describe as the Ultimate Guide to the Disney Vacation Club (DVC). I am pleased to be joined by Michael Collier, Quality Assurance Manager for Disney’s Vacation Club, who spends some time with me not only answering some frequently asked questions, but explains the process, cost, point system and benefits. He will also help clear up some of the misconceptions and concerns, explains what happens once you step inside one of the kiosks located around property, and so much more. It is an in-depth look at all aspects of the DVC, and why the Disney Vacation Club might be right for you and your family.

In my continuing tribute to Disney’s Animal Kingdom’s 10th Anniversary, which is being celebrated in the parks this coming Earth Day, April 22, I want to once again welcome one of Disney’s Animal Kingdom’s Cast Members that works backstage to help make the magic happen for us onstage. He is a Zoological Manager at Disney’s Animal Kingdom’s Animal Nutrition Center, who gives us a unique look at just how the thousands of animals at the parks and resorts get their share of the exceptional dining options at Walt Disney World.

I’ll answer more of your emails about half-day tickets, the International Gateway, Darkwing Duck in Walt Disney World and more. I’ll also play some of your voicemails at the end of the show, so sit back, relax and enjoy this week’s episode of the WDW Radio Show.

You can email the show at lou@wdwradio.com or call the voicemail at 206-202-4WDW (4939). Visit the web site at wdwradio.com.

Be sure to view this week's complete show notes page.

You can email the show at lou@wdwradio.com or call the voicemail at 206-202-4WDW.
    Last edited by Lou Mongello; 04-06-2008 at 11:43 PM.
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - Disney Expert, Host, Author, Speaker and Entrepreneur
    NOTE: If you downloaded the show at any time BEFORE 11:45 p.m. Sunday night, PLEASE delete that episode and re-download the show, as an important change was made to the episode after it was originally put up.

I apologize for any confusion this may have caused. Thank you.
    Last edited by Lou Mongello; 04-07-2008 at 12:42 AM.
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    I was skeptical about a podcast dealing with DVC, but I learned a lot that I wouldn't have been able to ask in person for the exact reason that was mentioned; if I go talk to them, I'll end up signing papers. (Which is exactly how we now own a timeshare in Utah, but that's another story.) I enjoyed hearing about the animal kingdom kitchens as well. It brought back great memories of our behind the scenes tour a few years ago. Great job, Lou.

By the way, what location did you decide to use for your DVC? I think he had you convinced, about mid-way through the podcast.
    Last edited by mini-V; 04-09-2008 at 01:07 PM.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

willful is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou Mongello View Post
    NOTE: If you downloaded the show at any time BEFORE 11:45 p.m. Sunday night, PLEASE delete that episode and re-download the show, as an important change was made to the episode after it was originally put up.

I apologize for any confusion this may have caused. Thank you.
    No worries, Lou! Thanks for the prompt notice.

I thought I was going crazy during my Monday morning commute, thinking "What I've heard this episode...right? right?"

We love DVC, so I look forward to hearing what the Mr. Collier has to say about it.
    - Will
    The Magic Never Ends Podcast

EMBRACE THE MAGIC!

NEXT TRIP: DPN Westfest 2009 April 30 - May 4 at Disneyland!

See What We're Doing at www.twitter.com/magicneverends
    Watch our shenanigans at www.youtube.com/WillMNE

harra is offline Fastpass Holder
    I haven't had a chance to listen to the podcast yet, but I'm eager to hear what Mr. Collier has to say since we've already bought into the DVC. I've tried to do blog posts in the past about it and I'm wondering how well my descriptions align with his.
    Ray
    Head Grump
    Grumpy's Hollow

athenna is offline E-Ticket Holder
    Boston,SSR, AKLV, Will's ship, Balian's castle
    I'm listening to it now
    Love hearing them talk about DVC

I got engaged @ WDW 1/24/10

mritty is offline Fastpass Holder
    I didn't get all the way through the segment before I got to work this morning, but I gotta say, so far I'm not happy with what I've heard. There are a lot of half-truths and flat-out lies in this DVC segment so far. I can only hope they're corrected and amended before the segment ends, but so far....

* "Just pay the $16,640, and you're set!!"
    -- no, not true. That's just what the initial membership costs. You still have to pay annual dues on top of that

* "Your vacation is completely paid for, just gotta buy the food!"
    -- not true. The only part of the vacation that's paid for is the resort. You still have to pay to get to Orlando in the first place, as well as buy your theme park tickets.

* "If you buy now, you've *locked in* your price for the next 50 years, and don't have to worry about the rising costs of vacations!"
    -- not true. Disney is free, almost at their whim, to raise the annual dues prices by up to 15% EVERY YEAR. For example, OKW has gone from $2.51/point in 1991 to $4.40/point in 2007.

I really hope that some of these get addressed before the segment ends. Right now, it feels like this episode of WDW Radio is nothing more than a promotional advertisment for the DVC... :-( I hope I'll be proved wrong when I listen to the remainder after I get out of work today...

disneysister is offline D-Ticket Holder
    I've been a member of DVC for 6 years now and have NEVER regretted it!! I thought Michael Collier was great..really explained it well.. You are paying ahead for your vacations. Yes, you need to pay for upkeep, but all in all it is really worth it! LOVED the show Lou!!

12/1971, 6/95, 2/05, 12/05 & 06 CR 6/2000 , 8/02 Wilderness Lodge, 07/03 Home to BCV and VB, 07/04, 07/05, 06/06 VWL & AKL, 07/07 VWL, 04/08 AKV, 06/08 VWL and AKV,12/08 Poly 6/09 Kidani and first cruise on the Wonder, BLT 6/2010, Wonder 8/2010.

Well I finished listening to it, and my wish didn't come true. Instead, I heard yet another inaccuracy. The CM asserted that during Value season, Saratoga Springs costs "9 to 11 points per night". This is not true. Saratoga Springs costs 11 points per WEEKNIGHT. It costs 20 points on Friday and Saturday nights. A minor thing? Maybe. Thing is, if this was the first episode of WDW Radio I'd ever heard, I probably wouldn't tune back in next week because of things like this. And that's really unfortunate. It felt more like a forum for Disney to advertise the DVC rather than a forum to give Disney fans information to help them decide whether or not DVC is for them. I'm a fan of everything Lou does - the podcast, the website, the books, the audio guides.... just this one segment on this one episode struck me very much the wrong way. It felt more like one of the Disney Travel Channel specials, or the Birmbaum's guide, rather than the source for "real" Disney information I've come to know and love. Don't get me wrong, I love the happy feelings hearing about Disney gives me as much as the next Disney geek, but I don't expect the "Disney can do no wrong" attitude on unofficial podcasts, and certainly not on the podcast that I consider the best in the community.... :-(

There is a lot to know about DVC and a little time to talk about it. I'm sure the guy could've talked for hours about DVC and given every little detail you would want to know. Any smart person would know that you'd still have to pay for your flight, food and souveniers. I don't think he implied that you pay and everything is free but your food.

I love being a member of DVC and I'm still learning how things work with it. I loved the podcast! Lou's is one of the best around!!

http://wewantstheredhead.blogspot.com

Starting at about 13:00 into the podcast:
    "We have those members who - it's their first time here at Disney. They find that the DVC allows them to experience it in a way that - you know, rather than paying for that vacation every year, that becomes more expensive every year, they can come into the DVC as a member and pay today's prices for vacationing that's going to be happening for the next 50 years. They don't have to worry about the cost of those vacations going up. What it comes down to is their vacations are paid for, all they have to do is show up. All they have to do is get here and, obviously, take care of food when they get here."

Sure as heck sounds like he's implying that to me that a DVC membership pays for the entire vacation other than travel and food. I don't know any other way to interpret that. Of course *you* know different, being a member. So do I, having done my research beforehand. My point is, this was supposedly the "ultimate guide to the DVC", intended for those people who don't know anything about it. And those people DO NOT know any different.

masonicmouse is offline A-Ticket holder
    Lou I have to agree with Mritty. The DVC story was just a commercial and not a good story. Not enough follow up questions. Did not ask why Studios will no longer get china but paper products, maintenance fees were not mentioned even in passing. When talking about transferring point to say a regular resort or cruise the point value vs. cash is not equal and in Disney's favor. Stroller increase did not mention that it as a 45% to 50% increase just the Disney line. This has been going on for a few months now. Lou take a look at your show and your audience and your goals with Disney and see if there are any conflicts and if so declare them. A statement like I am trying to get my books and cd sold in the parks and this story will have no fact checking our critical thought and are the responsibility of the listener. Lou I love the show and think your are great but some self examination is in order.

Jeff

EVEN if I didn't know and would be hearing this information for the first time I still would know better than to think what is possibly being implied. He's a salesman that's what they do.
    If you see a car ad on TV and they say something like:
    "This car has great gas milage. Just pay 18,500 for this car and it's like driving for free".
    Are people really going to assume that they never have to pay for gas for the car?

People try and sell stuff everyday..at home, work, on the street, in podcasts, on blogs....everyone's a saleperson in some form or another. I just think this guy was doing his job and peaking the interest of those listening to get imformation about DVC. What's so wring with that?

http://wewantstheredhead.blogspot.com

lori, that is EXACTLY the point. He is a sales man, and the segment was a sales pitch. Nothing more, nothing less. And that is not what I typically expect from the WDW Radio show. If I want a Disney commerical, I'll request the free planning DVD from Disney.com.

masonicmouse is offline A-Ticket holder
    There is nothing wrong with the Disney fellow doing his job. What is wrong is Lou did not do his job. Lou did not have to call him out during the interview but could have gone over things the Cast member glossed over or omitted after the interview.

Jeff

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast