Your Walt Disney World Information Station
The WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast Discuss Master Gracey's Rose in the The WDW Radio Show forums; Lou mentioned the rose on Master Gracey's grave in the most recent podcast about the landscaping of WDW. I would like to offer a personal insight regarding it. When I ...
    VonBaroketch is offline B-Ticket Holder

Master Gracey's Rose

Lou mentioned the rose on Master Gracey's grave in the most recent podcast about the landscaping of WDW. I would like to offer a personal insight regarding it.

When I was trained at the Mansion in 2003, no one was keeping up with that detail. I offered to do it, and so once a week I would dig up the grave, rake it, and mound it. Then, I would place the rose on the mound. One of my managers met with me about how we could be a little more creative. So, on the mornings when the roses were in full bloom, we would pick a few and leave petals all over the ground following the horse tracks behind the hearse leading back to the gate. Then, we covered the grave mound with rose petals and had them create a path leading into the front door. The idea was that the funeral procession took place the day before, but Master Gracey rose from the grave and went back into the Mansion (those rose petals were "drops of blood"). This detail was only enjoyed by the earliest guests, and we had to convince custodial that those roses were not to be swept up. I would use my shovel as a prop when I was the greeter, where I would drag it around behind me (I also carried a rose and would wave it around in the stretch room while singing "Ring Around the Rosie!"). On the mornings when that manager and I decorated the courtyard, I would meet a guest at the rope drop and hand them a rose. They would be the first to enter the Mansion, and we would have a memorial before Master Gracey's grave. After I made a few tongue-in-cheek remarks, the guest would toss the rose on the grave, and then we would go inside.

I only know of one instance in my five years at the Mansion when the landscaping department actually dug up Master Gracey's grave. When I was a trainer, I trained a few of my trainees how to do it, and when I left the Mansion, I gave one of my more promising pupils my shovel to continue the tradition. We created the Order of the Shovel, and he passed it on to a few others. Last I heard, the shovel was not recovered since the refurb, but someone is still taking care of the grave.
    Ludwig von Baroketch
    Kapellmeister, Gracey Estate
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

tarynkelly is offline Waiting for Paris Mousemeet in Dec 2009!!!!! Woo Hoo
    Scurrying back to my closet before Debs catches me!!
    I love all these little touches, they really make my holiday x x

nicks10 is offline @nick_straka
    Thats so awesome, thanks for sharing that!
    -Nick

"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy"

bfrechette is offline A-Ticket holder
    what a great touch. I love these details. And is there a secret handshake for the order of the shovel?

I love these touches. Is there a secret handshake for the order of the shovel?

attention to detail

I love these details. Is there a secret handshake for the order of the shovel?

VonBaroketch is offline B-Ticket Holder
    I can only reveal the public manifestations of the Order. Should the shovel still exist at the Mansion, it is kept in the possession of the most senior member who is still serving Master Gracey. On the shovel is written, in an order of hierarchy by seniority, the name of each member and the date when that member was initiated. Unfortunately, the butler most responsible for keeping the Order alive has moved on to new chapters in his life that do not include Disney. I doubt you will find any evidence of the Order today, for as I have mentioned the shovel has not been seen since before the refurb. Also, with the exception of a few faithful full-timers, I know hardly anyone at the Mansion anymore; the staff seems to be taken over by the college program.
    Ludwig von Baroketch
    Kapellmeister, Gracey Estate
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

DaveH is offline A-Ticket holder
    Thanks for the info.

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    It's fun to hear about these little behind the scenes moments. Thanks for sharing.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

BandontheRun is offline A-Ticket holder
    That's a great story! If I were a CM, I would love to be at the HM. It really adds a lot to the experience when the CMs act "in character" relative to eye greetings, musings etc.. the attraction is more fun when you see the CMs enjoying themselves as well.
    One of the great Disney-differences is that the CMs are really part of the show where at Six Flags/Universal - there are college kids working a job. I hope there is still reinforcement of how important this type of training/education is to make the Disney "magic" happen for everyone.
    When we were at WDW during the Halloween party, there was a woman on the lawn of the HM who was "glowing" like a ghost amidst the "fog" - she would actually greet and talk to everyone in line. My son who was age 4, was dressed as Wolverine whose real name is Logan, and the woman said "Hi Logan" and my son knew she was talking to him.. it was an awesome moment.
    Now of course, my son didn't want to do the attraction once we made it inside, (not even the stretching room), but it was still great, just that queue experience.
    BTW - the WDW HM updates are great!

SuperStarKerri is offline It's all good.
    I absolutely love these kind of details. I'm so excited. I'll be doing the Disney college program one semester in college and I hope I can work at the Haunted Mansion =)
    Love, Kerri

04CP_ Nolan is offline Dole Float + POTC= Good Day
    Cool, if I was still a CP down there, I'd definetely want to be a part of The Order. I'm sure there are CPs that would be a part of it, if they knew the story and heard all these details. I wonder what ever happened to the actual shovel you mentioned? If it isn't being used, I think it should be returned to he who started The Order.

ERich2010 is offline just cant get enough
    man, thats pretty cool. especially since you started it
    Eric

Yo Ho Yo Ho a Pirates Life for Me...

Bangarang Rufio

BigT4187 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Great story! Thanks for sharing.
    Tony in NJ
    DisFriends.com Username = bigt4187
    Lou Mongello is my Disney CMO!