Your Walt Disney World Information Station
The WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast Discuss WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast #70 - June 8, 2008 in the The WDW Radio Show forums; Welcome to the WDW Radio Show - Your Walt Disney World Information Station . Thank you for tuning in once again. This is show #70 for the week of June ...
    Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - Disney Expert, Host, Author, Speaker and Entrepreneur

WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast #70 - June 8, 2008

Welcome to the WDW Radio Show - Your Walt Disney World Information Station. Thank you for tuning in once again. This is show #70 for the week of June 8, 2008. I am your host Lou Mongello, coming to you this and every week bringing you the very best ways to enjoy and enhance your Walt Disney World vacation experience.

No news this week, as I'm leaving early to cover Star Wars Weekends, but a couple of interesting items in the Walt Disney World Rumor Mill which includes a possible addition to the Magic Kingdom.

Tim Foster joins me once again for another Top 10 with Tim, as we explore our Top 10 Refurbishments in the parks. It's an interesting look at some of the welcome changes that have taken place throughout the years, and might even make you take a second look at that attraction you haven't experienced in some time.

Listener Tony Mendyk gets in the hot seat for another round of "Walt Disney World – Fact or Fiction?" He'll answer some trivia questions in a fun game where there are no prizes to be won, but just a fun way to talk about some trivia and history.

I'll answer some more of your vacation planning emails this week along with the help of Beci Mankhen, owner of MouseFanTravel, including questions on specialty cruises, dinner shows, traveling with a large group, backstage tours, and more.

Listen for more of your voicemails at the end of the show, so sit back, relax, and enjoy this week's episode of the WDW Radio Show.

Email the show at lou@wdwradio.comThis e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it
    Call our voicemail at 206-202-4WDW (4939)
    If you like the show, please let others know by reviewing it on iTunes
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

DAR
    DAR is offline Fastpass Holder
    I haven't listened just yet but 70 already or 69 for that matter. I swear it seemed just like yesterday episode 50 was out.

bigbrian-nc.com is offline WDW: A History In Postcards
    I really enjoyed the Disney fact or fiction segment, it's always nice when you have long time park fans like Tony, there were some really tough ones in there too My guess for the current sponsor on the Town square cafe would have been Contadina (which I was thinking even before you gave the grab a pasta clue) but luckilly that wasn't the actual question.

and the question on Anandapur in this segment made me want to share this photo.

Sign at the entrance to the Majarajas Jungle Trek in the Asia section of Disney's Animal Kingdom.
    ANANDAPUR ROYAL FOREST

SINCE VERY ANCIENT TIMES THE RAJAHS OF ANANDAPUR HAVE HUNTED
    TIGERS IN THIS FOREST IN A.D. 1544, KING BHIMA DISAMPTI
    DECREED THIS FOREST A ROYAL PRESERVE
    CLOSED TO ALL, SAVE HIS GUEST AND BUILT A
    ROYAL HUNTING LODGE WHOSE RUINS LIE NEARBY
    AFTER 1948 THE ROYAL FOREST WAS GIVEN
    TO THE PEOPLE OF ANANDAPUR. TODAY THE FOREST
    PROTECTS NOT ONLY THE REMAINING TIGERS AND OTHER
    WILDLIFE BUT IS A VALUABLE WATERSHED OF THE
    CHANDRANADI RIVER AND SOME OF THE
    LAST REMAINING VIRGIN FOREST IN THIS REGION.

I hope you had a great time at the Star Wars weekend!

Walt Disney World: A History in Postcards

luv2ride801 is offline E-Ticket Holder
    Wow.. I just finished listening to Episode 69 this morning!

Doesn't look like this is the Star Wars weekend show yet (With your recordings from the Studios...) Too bad.. I can't wait to listen to that one!

I am a HUGE Star Wars fan!

T Morrows Child is offline C-Ticket Holder
    I love the Top Ten Lists with Tim, and I'm glad to see that these will come around once in a while. This week was a fun topic . . . it's always so tempting to talk about the botched refurbishments - it takes more energy and is more fun to find the best ones. Great lists, and most of mine would have matched your top tens.

I agree that Ellen's Energy Adventure is an upgrade, but I think it's Bill Nye the Science Guy who pulls it all together. I, too, miss the music, but I'm glad that they included all that original Epoct music on the Music of Disneyland and WDW albums in the early 90s.

I have a side list of refurbs that I'm glad did NOT happen. First on that list is the Treehouse. I love the Tarzan movie in a big way, but I'm still glad that they kept the Swiss Family Robinson in the treehouse.
    Have you seen my dad? Would you page him for me?

Next Family trip = April 16 - April 23, 2011, staying in an All Star Vacation Home!

kretzcr is offline A-Ticket holder
    If they didn't include Ellen in the new Universe of Energy I think it would have been a great refurb. I think she brings it down. Bill Nye was a good inclusion though.

I do miss the old song. I always hum it when I'm in the que or the preshow area. My wife, who has never heard it, thinks I'm crazy. That old song sticks with you and is addicting. It's EPCOT's version of "Its a Small World" song.

kretzcr is offline A-Ticket holder
    To be fair, I think the next top ten list should "Worst Refurbs." You touched on this some, but in the interst of being unbiased, I think this would be a good show. We all love WDW, but sometimes I'm like, "What were they thinking?" The Enchanted Tiki Room comes to mind...

BigT4187 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbrian-nc.com View Post
    I really enjoyed the Disney fact or fiction segment, it's always nice when you have long time park fans like Tony, there were some really tough ones in there too My guess for the current sponsor on the Town square cafe would have been Contadina (which I was thinking even before you gave the grab a pasta clue) but luckilly that wasn't the actual question.
    Some of those questions were tough! I'm no Cody Pepper, but six out of ten isn't too bad. Where are those trivia books!! I knew I should have brushed up on my trivia!!
    Tony in NJ
    DisFriends.com Username = bigt4187
    Lou Mongello is my Disney CMO!

Spyne is offline Fastpass Holder
    Great show this week Lou! Your Top 10 with Tim Foster is great as always, it's great to hear you two compile a "master list" of these different topics. This one was no exception! The new Walt Disney World - Fact or Fiction? with Tony Mendyk was great to hear as well, I really enjoy hearing these every time they come on. I bet Cody Pepper was screaming at his iPod (or whatever else he listens to the podcasts on). You did a great job on the email readings with Beci Mankhen as well. As always, great job Lou! Hope you enjoy/enjoyed your time at Star Wars Weekends.
    Keep it cool, and keep moving forward!

Trips to Walt Disney World

1995: Port Orleans French Quarter - 2000: All-Star Music
    2008: Caribbean Beach - 2009: Pop Century
    NEXT TRIP: Sep/Oct 2011 - WDW's 40th Anniversary!

Love That Duck is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Loved this show Lou! I really enjoyed listening to your the refurb lists. I'll be returning to WDW over Labor Day weekend for the first time since Memorial Day 2007 and haven't seen some of the major refurbs mentioned. Loved hearing about what awaits my return to WDW.

I agree with Lou about Block Party Bash! Although I haven't seen BPB at DSH, I loved it at DCA. It's so much FUN and reminds me of the Disneyland parades of old (Party Gras, Blast to the Past, etc.).

Just 76 days and I'll be checking out some of these refurbs myself.

Thanks Lou and Tim!
    ~Jerry & Nancy~

Sept. 3 - Sunrise WEDDING Vow Renewal then Drive to WDW
    Sept. 4-16, 2011 - WDW HONEYMOON:
    Sept 4-9 - Pop Century
    Sept. 10-16 - Caribbean Beach

KINGCRAB is offline Annual Passholder
    Quote Originally Posted by kretzcr View Post
    To be fair, I think the next top ten list should "Worst Refurbs." You touched on this some, but in the interst of being unbiased, I think this would be a good show. We all love WDW, but sometimes I'm like, "What were they thinking?" The Enchanted Tiki Room comes to mind...
    I can't see that happening, due to the WDW Radio show's clear intentions of being friendly and positive and steering clear of being negative.

Besides, Lou has already stated that he likes the "Tiki Room--Under New Management" show, both on the podcast and here on the forums.