Your Walt Disney World Information Station
The WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast Discuss If You Could imagineer Star Tours 2.0... in the The WDW Radio Show forums; I mentioned on this week's show the possibilities of Star Tours being refurbished and reopening with a new story, new effects and a completely new experience. If YOU were Lead ...
    Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - Disney Expert, Host, Author, Speaker and Entrepreneur

If You Could imagineer Star Tours 2.0...

I mentioned on this week's show the possibilities of Star Tours being refurbished and reopening with a new story, new effects and a completely new experience.

If YOU were Lead Imagineer, had unlimited budget and resources, etc. what would you put into the new attraction?

What film(s) would you like to see represented? What characters would you include? What situations would you like to see portrayed (cough.. give me a lightsaber!!)

Time and money are no object, so have fun with it!!

Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

ta2edgoofy is offline A-Ticket holder
    i think it would be important to place the story in between the movies, so that it gives you more room to be creative, sure i would love to ride a motion simulator as i ride through the trench of the first death star, but i think a new story greatly increases the ride-ability factor. in my life ive watched episodes 4, 5 and 6 at least a million times, so i would defiantly make it a priority to do the same with any quality *cough cough* addition to the series!

i think it would be cool to place it after return of the jedi, when there is order in the galaxy. so it could start out possibly on the moon of endor, like it was transporting people back from the big party. and the tour guide could be chatty about the end of the empire and such. then possibly you could start out, see the bunker that blew up so it would really tie you in to the story and time line and then you are off, maybe you go to naboo and see what its like, obviously still pretty but a couple of decades since we have last seen it. then possibly you could make a few more quick stops, or maybe just one, to keep this under 2 hours! haha but as you are going through, you see some sort of lightsaber scuffle happening in the distance, you guide suggests its a jedi training academy *he he* and you fly over to get a closer look, well actually its a group of sith that had been absent from the death star and are looking to cause trouble, so as your guide realizes this he attempts to get out for the saftey of himself, and they guests too since they are with him! in the distance you see some advanced (read:upgraded) AT-AT's and AT-ST's coming, so you know its trouble, but with the walkers come star desrtroyers and you realize there is still a large faction of the empire around. so you will go through, using what fire power you have, which is minimal since you are a touring vesel, and you make the jump to lightspeed, to return to the moon of endor, where the tour began. but as you arrive, getting ready to land you see a huge rebel fleet that you are nose to nose with and the empire is coming right behind you! well you have to manuver once again to escape from the fire, once again you are only being saved only in the pilots best interest! but finally you land, and you see as the bay doors close maybe a star destroyer blowing up or something to that effect.

Keasmom is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    I am not that imaginative, but I would like a rolling effect, better turbulence, a longer flight period, maybe 45 more seconds, a dry barren setting and the addition of Jarjar Binks. Maybe a blast off from the desert area to the new moon colony. And somehow, a good lightsabre fight preferably with Darth Vader. I had an interesting encounter with him at last years Star Wars Weekend.
    Last edited by Keasmom; 06-18-2008 at 11:58 AM.
    P.U.S.H.-A mantra MOST will not understand.

Disney rocks, Walt was a genius.

firemedic is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    I think maybe something like Mission Space where each person is given a job. The difference would be that the flight simulator would actually respond to the controls as you flew in battle or just cruising around smuggling things and avoiding the Empire with Han Solo.

ArnyVee is offline A-Ticket holder
    I would start with demolishing the entire site. Start over and place two attractions, bigger shop and a themed restaurant.

The rides: I create two rides (part dark ride/part roller coaster) which encompass all six films' stories.

The 'land' would have a huge show building which houses both dark rides with seperate queues for each. The Episodes 1-3 would begin with a story-building ride through Tatooine and then have 'roller coaster moments' during the pod-races, lightsaber battle on lava rocks, etc. All the while, the sound and narration (narration done by Anthony Daniels and squeeks provided by R2D2 )

The second attraction takes the Episodes 4-6 on and details the rise of young adult Skywalker and has it's roller coaster moments as you try to outrun the Destroyers, etc.

At any rate, it's getting late and the creative juices are running low. But, that sort of describes what I'd do.

mverck is offline A-Ticket holder
    Here's my take and it shouldn't be that unecomonical, even if that isn't a constraint. The current buildings (both DLC and DHS) have 6 simulators in them. They are meant to be gates at a space port, so make them just that. Each simulator will have a different experience. Pros: You keep the same building and infrastructure, keep the ride queue area the same (i.e. only one line so it is a random pick on where you get to), minimum down time (basically all you will need to do is load the new movie, load the new program for the simulator, and go).

As far as the movies, I agree with the general sentiments, that you should have more fun with the elements, but be an extension of the movies, not the movies. For example, you get to go to Kashyykk, but you do so for a wilderness expedition with the wookies, and something happens; you go to Naboo for fishing and try to escape some of those huge sea monsters; you go to Corsuant and have to navigate your way around the traffic (a la the scene in Ep. II); go to Hoth for a skiing weekend.

Basically have fun with it, but have 6 different adventures. If you cannot choose, you will have to keep coming back into the ride so that you get to experience all 6 at one point or another.
    Have a Disney Day,

Beach Mickey

albino_pygmy is offline The voice of the Jungle
    Quote Originally Posted by mverck View Post
    Here's my take and it shouldn't be that unecomonical, even if that isn't a constraint. The current buildings (both DLC and DHS) have 6 simulators in them. They are meant to be gates at a space port, so make them just that. Each simulator will have a different experience. Pros: You keep the same building and infrastructure, keep the ride queue area the same (i.e. only one line so it is a random pick on where you get to), minimum down time (basically all you will need to do is load the new movie, load the new program for the simulator, and go).

As far as the movies, I agree with the general sentiments, that you should have more fun with the elements, but be an extension of the movies, not the movies. For example, you get to go to Kashyykk, but you do so for a wilderness expedition with the wookies, and something happens; you go to Naboo for fishing and try to escape some of those huge sea monsters; you go to Corsuant and have to navigate your way around the traffic (a la the scene in Ep. II); go to Hoth for a skiing weekend.

Basically have fun with it, but have 6 different adventures. If you cannot choose, you will have to keep coming back into the ride so that you get to experience all 6 at one point or another.
    I would love for them to have 6 different rides, but problem is they wouldn't really have all 6 running at the same time (unless it's one of the really crowded days) They might be able to have 3 open on one day, and the other 3 the next, so it's not a problem of the one that goes to Hoth at the very end being used on busy times, it's more of a problem of what are your flight plans for that day and hoping that you can get to the destination you want when you're there.

mverck is offline A-Ticket holder
    True, so that leaves a challenge for the Industrial Engineers to determine an algorthim that selects which are the most popular destinations, and either keep those open on slower days, or changes them out during the day. So if you only have cast for 3 simulators, you do Hoth and Endor in the morning, and switch out to Naboo in the afternoon.
    Have a Disney Day,

Beach Mickey

bmcintyre is offline A-Ticket holder

Re: Star Tours

I like the idea of being in a pod race. Along with that, traveling on a speeder through the forests of Endor (?) would be great too. I think anything they do would have to incorporate the new with the old. There are so many great creatures and aliens that we've met along the way. Some of them would have to be in there.

Stitch is offline Blogger, Artist, Creative Genius
    If I could imagineer Star tours, I'd get rid of it. The force is so not with me.

thokecin is offline And really bad eggs...

Ooooooohhhh, Star Wars!!!

I definitely like the idea of multiple simulations, but I think I'd limit it to 2 versions. The rides would be 4-d motion simulators, complete with glasses, wind, water, heat, etc. One would be podracing, which could be done on multiple planets so that riders would get the feel of several different environments. The second would be riding a speeder bike, which also could be done through multiple environments on different planets complete with the same type of effects listed above.

As far as lightsaber fights, I know that DisneyQuest did have a virtual simulator of something similar (generic "lightsabers" and not fighting Darth Vader) when I was there in 2003- not sure if it's still there. I think biggest downfall of having an attraction so "personal" would be the difficulty in moving people through if everyone gets to fight Darth Vader. Sorry Lou! Take heart though, a Clone Wars lightsaber game is currently under development for the Wii. I think it comes out late this year or early next year.
    "When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do."

–Walt Disney

8 trips and counting!!!