Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
The WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast Discuss WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast #72 - June 22, 2008 in the The WDW Radio Show forums; Welcome to the WDW Radio Show - your Walt Disney World Information Station. Thank you for tuning in once again. This is show #72 for the week of June 22, ...
    Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - WDW Trivia Book Author and Site Owner/Admin

WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast #72 - June 22, 2008

Welcome to the WDW Radio Show - your Walt Disney World Information Station. Thank you for tuning in once again. This is show #72 for the week of June 22, 2008. I am your host Lou Mongello, and I am admittedly VERY excited about this week's show

I won't have any news or rumors this week, but will have an announcement before getting to my first guest.

And part of the reason why I'm so excited about this week's show is because of whom my first guest is. Disney Channel fans may remember a series from the mid-90's called Walt Disney World Inside Out, which took you literally behind the scenes of the parks every week. This week, I am joined by the one of the hosts of what was probably my favorite show on television, JD Roth. We'll talk not only about his career and experiences on the show, but what he's been doing ever since. You may now know that he is one of Hollywood's hottest producers, with not only many popular reality and game shows to his credit, but he's also going to be the host of a new show coming to ABC later this year unlike any other that's been done in the past. And best of all, he'll tell you how you and your family can be a part of it! And you don't have to go to Hollywood JD and the show will come to you!

Continuing in my 7 Wonders of Walt Disney World series, where we explore some of the things that truly make Walt Disney World such a magical place, this week we'll take a detailed look back at the overwhelming choice of almost everyone who cast a vote. We'll explore the history, story and technological marvels that make Spaceship Earth more than just an icon for a theme park. It's a classic attraction that gives us all a sense of our collective past, and acts as a symbol of our hopes for the future. So sit back, relax, and enjoy this week's episode of the WDW Radio Show.
    You can email the show at lou@wdwradio.com lou@wdwradio.comThis e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it or call the voicemail at 206-202-4WDW (4939). Visit the web site at wdwradio.com.

Talk about the show by visiting and posting in the WDW Radio Show message forums at DisneyWorldTrivia.com .

Thanks for listening! Be sure to tune in next week!
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

Love That Duck is offline D-Ticket Holder
    WooHoo Lou! I'm listening right now! Seems like it's going to be a good show! More when it's over.'

Just a note,,,it did not automatically download when I opened iTunes. I had to actually do a search for WDW Radio Show and the 6/22 episode came up. I am listening to it this way on my computer/headphones. I may have looked for it just as Lou posted the show but I wanted others to know you can access it direct from iTunes Store search if it doesn't download for you.

Now, back to the show!
    ~Jerry & Nancy~

Sept. 3 - Sunrise WEDDING Vow Renewal then Drive to WDW
    Sept. 4-16, 2011 - WDW HONEYMOON:
    Sept 4-9 - Pop Century
    Sept. 10-16 - Caribbean Beach

jerm is offline A-Ticket holder
    Sorry Lou....but I have to correct you on something (grabs date books and writes it in big letters) about Disney Trivia.

Vic Perrin was always thought to be the narrator of the first verson of Spaceship Earth, but it was actually Larry Dobkins. Larry was a voice that had been floating around and also did some work for the 64/65 Worlds Fair.This has been something that has come to light just in the past few weeks, but I would have thought it would have made it to you by now. This info comes from the WDI site that is open only to CM's, but I am sure someone has posted the full story by now, where they were interviewing Marty Sklar about Spaceship Earth as a whole and that was one of the things he flat out said "His name was Larry Dobkins."

So there you go.... I know people are still very vocal about it being Vic Parrin, which is fine but with Marty Sklar being very clear about it I would say this is as offical as you could get.

Do I win a copy of the Adventureland CD for this

Also... in December at Mousefest the paperboy was facing away. I rode it four times and the paperboy was one of the things I noticed and had to double check.

J
    Last edited by jerm; 06-22-2008 at 03:42 PM.

T Morrows Child is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Ah, Lou. When JD Roth first dropped Jennifer Love Hewitt's name, I was waiting for you to chime in. I thought you exercised great restraint. Well, until the end, anyway!
    Have you seen my dad? Would you page him for me?

Next Family trip = April 16 - April 23, 2011, staying in an All Star Vacation Home!

T Morrows Child is offline C-Ticket Holder
    You put a finger on what has been bothering me about Epcot these days - we used to have a distinctive theme song for every pavilion of Future World, and it really enhanced the experience. I love Epcot, and the new attractions are great, but I do miss the unique soundtrack. (I have a particular love for Tomorrow's Child, if you haven't guessed . . . )

I agree that the enhanced audio-animatronics are incredible. I'm glad that you focused on the fact that even the minor elements were enhanced. I may be imagining it, but the pharoah, for example, moves much more fluidly. All the animatronics blew me away.

I MUST depart from you about the chariot, though. I was glad to see it gone. But I was pleased to see so many of the classic elements retained.
    Have you seen my dad? Would you page him for me?

Next Family trip = April 16 - April 23, 2011, staying in an All Star Vacation Home!

DisneyFanatic01 is offline A-Ticket holder
    Hey Lou! Great show as usual! You mentioned that pre-orders for the Adventureland Audio Tour would start today (6/23), but I am unable to find a link for it anywhere. All I see is the Main Street Audio Tour (which I already own, of course). Am I overlooking something or haven't you had a chance to update the site yet? Inquiring minds want to know!! Thanks and keep up the great work!

John

BigT4187 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by T Morrows Child View Post
    Ah, Lou. When JD Roth first dropped Jennifer Love Hewitt's name, I was waiting for you to chime in. I thought you exercised great restraint. Well, until the end, anyway!
    I thought the same thing! Too funny!!!
    Tony in NJ
    DisFriends.com Username = bigt4187
    Lou Mongello is my Disney CMO!

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    I missed Inside Out the first time around. It would be awesome if JD Roth brought that back - at Lou's suggestion - no less.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

sorahl is offline A-Ticket holder

Great Episode

Great show to highlight another success from NJ (though I have to point out that he escaped and we are still here.... ) Love J.D.'s work, always
    Amazing race is the show I'd want to do too...

I have mixed feelings about Spaceship Earth. I love hte ride, can't wait to see it in it's newest iteration. It is sad too for me. It was sponsored by Ma Bell, then AT&T, back when AT&T stood for American Telephone and Telegraph (after the breakup), then by AT&T when it stood for nothing and then as the company continued it's downward spiral to where it is now it gave up it's sponsorship. Just irritates me as a long time employee of the once great company. I used to be really proud of our involvement in my favourite place on earth...

John in NJ

bigbrian-nc.com is offline WDW: A History In Postcards
    LOU! before as you got to the end of the opening clip reel I thoguht oh my gosh did he get one of the folks from Inside/OUT when you did the JD Roth intro to the name of the show I thought "Oh My Gosh I bet he has".

I had to write just to say (and for those of you who remember WDW/Disneyland INSIDE/OUT this is so appropriate) how STOKED I am about this episode!

One other thing Lou, I don't know if I ever told, you Lou but I TRIED some time back to get ahold of mr Roth with the thought of putting him in touch with you, while that never worked out I'm so glad that somehow you two did get together.
    Last edited by bigbrian-nc.com; 06-23-2008 at 08:16 PM.

Walt Disney World: A History in Postcards

DisneyMagic71 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Another great show - loved the exploration of Spaceship Earth by you and Jeff. Will have to ride it many times when we're down there in August to see all the details you both pointed out. I REALLY enjoyed the interview with JD Roth. I, too, loved Inside Out and would love to see it come back. Thanks, Lou
    DVC MEMBER!!!!
    I wish we'd never have to grow up! Off to NEVERLAND!!!!!!!
    Remember we must always believe in our wishes...they are the magic in the world!!!
    LOU SAID...............................
    Was at Magic Meets '07, '08 & '09 Had a MAGICAL time!
    First trip 9/72 Contemporary; '78,'80,'82'84,'85, '88,'90,'92,'94,'96,'98,'99,'03,'05,'06,'07,'08
    3/20/08 Disneyland Paris Sequoia Lodge; 8/16/08 WDWWilderness Lodge

1/07/09 WDW MARATHON - Beach Club Villas

6/19/09 WDW Spur of the Moment Trip!! OKW,POFQ, & SS
    8/30/09 - 9/7/09 Disneyland Paradise Pier Hotel -DH,DD & I - 5K DD did 1/2 Marathon - Coast to Coast!
    1/10 DD doing half marathon at WDW
    2/2011 - Cruisin' with Lou
    & all the great fans of WDW Radio 1st cruise

DRC2 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Shelby Twp. , Michigan/ via Hillsboro Oregon
    Another Home Run Lou! WDW Inside Out was a weekly high light when it was on (Loved the couch from the Scott Herriott Hosted show). JD and gang did a great job and the show kept one excited about going on vaction at WDW. I'd love to see it return (but the thing I loved the most were the segments about animation produced there at the studio.....). Enjoyed your Spaceship Earth seg. also

Keep up the great work!

Love That Duck is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Fantastic show! I very much enjoyed the JD Roth segment and I, too, would like to see WDW Inside Out return. You guys chatted about Brianne Leary and I have to tell you I loved Brianne's show Animal Planet "Petsburgh USA" filmed at DHS (then, Disney MGM Studios). Wow! What great memories of great shows this espisode brought back to me!

I also enjoyed the Spaceship Earth segment. I have not experienced the "new" SE so I'm anxious to ride it a few times during my Labor Day weekend trip to WDW.

This is another "repeat listen" show! I'll listen to it again this weekend looking forward to this Episode 73.

Keep up the good work, Lou.
    ~Jerry & Nancy~

Sept. 3 - Sunrise WEDDING Vow Renewal then Drive to WDW
    Sept. 4-16, 2011 - WDW HONEYMOON:
    Sept 4-9 - Pop Century
    Sept. 10-16 - Caribbean Beach

pigletfan is offline D-Ticket Holder
    I used to watch Inside Out also! I loved that show, and wanted JD Roth's job! I wish they would show the old episodes again. I wonder if they are available on youtube?

DisneyMagic71 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Extinctattractions.com has a DVD on the show. I'm seriously thinking of purchasing it. You're right, it did keep the magic alive between trips.
    DVC MEMBER!!!!
    I wish we'd never have to grow up! Off to NEVERLAND!!!!!!!
    Remember we must always believe in our wishes...they are the magic in the world!!!
    LOU SAID...............................
    Was at Magic Meets '07, '08 & '09 Had a MAGICAL time!
    First trip 9/72 Contemporary; '78,'80,'82'84,'85, '88,'90,'92,'94,'96,'98,'99,'03,'05,'06,'07,'08
    3/20/08 Disneyland Paris Sequoia Lodge; 8/16/08 WDWWilderness Lodge

1/07/09 WDW MARATHON - Beach Club Villas

6/19/09 WDW Spur of the Moment Trip!! OKW,POFQ, & SS
    8/30/09 - 9/7/09 Disneyland Paradise Pier Hotel -DH,DD & I - 5K DD did 1/2 Marathon - Coast to Coast!
    1/10 DD doing half marathon at WDW
    2/2011 - Cruisin' with Lou
    & all the great fans of WDW Radio 1st cruise

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast