Your Walt Disney World Information Station
The WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast Discuss Lou's realationship with Disney must be great in the The WDW Radio Show forums; It always has been, but for the show purposes and audio guide there has to be a lot of give on Disney's side....
    DAR
    DAR is offline Fastpass Holder

Lou's realationship with Disney must be great

It always has been, but for the show purposes and audio guide there has to be a lot of give on Disney's side.
    WDW Radio Android App.

jerm is offline A-Ticket holder
    Quote Originally Posted by DAR View Post
    It always has been, but for the show purposes and audio guide there has to be a lot of give on Disney's side.
    I don't think Disney has any say in it at all. Lou puts together his own stuff and puts it out. Other then reading stuff "from Disney" over the years and talking with people who know, correct me if I am wrong Lou, everything is all Lou no Disney.

J

DAR
    DAR is offline Fastpass Holder
    But what I'm saying is like when Lou is doing his audio guide or podcasting live from WDW, Disney could be real jerks and tell him to shut down. But because they're a great company they let Lou and other Disney sites to operate in a manor that shows that they do care about their fanbase.
    WDW Radio Android App.

wdwfns2 is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Disney has had a lot of bad PR in the past by shutting down people who they felt were "trying to make a 'buck' off of using the Disney name." However, trying to shut down what Lou does would just be "poor show" on Disney's part. He's not trying to make a buck, he's educating guests by informing them how to get more out of their Disney Vacations. The Imagineers love him because he reminds people to "look up" and take in all the detail that the imagineer into each attraction. The food division love him because he's never reviewed a restraunt that he didn't want to go back to(go ahead Lou try to pick a favorite). The advertising division loves him because he waits until the final product is reveiled before giving an honest unbias opinion about a new attraction...and all this is FREE to Disney. There's a reason why Disney embraced the internet community with Epcot's 25th anniversary and Animal Kingdom's 10th. That reason? Because the internet is where people come to research to see if a Disney vacation is right for their family. The amount Lou makes from his CD's and other various items covers the cost of keeping his site running...and that's a drop in the hat to what Disney would have to spend for similar advertising. If Disney where to try to shut down what Lou and similar sites like allears net.com were doing, there wouldn't be as many people suddenly showing up in the "off" season for "magic meets" or "mousefest". The bottom line in Disney's eyes is that these sites actually help put more money in their pockets by getting more guests into their parks. And if guests are more informed going into these parks and happier as they leave, then they're more likely to return....which makes Disney really smile
    Day 1 WDW Radio
    Keep to the code

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd
    Well I think remember too, for the audio guide purposes, there's not really a lot of "on-site" stuff needed. The background audio recordings are simple enough to do I suppose with no real "word" from Disney on whether or not they can be done. Recording the crowds as you walk around really isn't something they could control. I'd assume his voice overs are done in his "studio", not with a mic as he wanders. So I suppose there isn't really anything obvious about what he does when he's there.

What the above person said is definitely 100% spot on. No matter how much Disney spends on advertising, it's all the enterprising individuals out there doing podcasts, websites, audio guides and writing books that ultimately bring the guests into the parks.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

Tmntrans is offline Fastpass Holder
    Personally I always loved Disney since I was young. I never really "got" into Disney until about 2 years ago. I started listening to Lou last March while net surfing waiting to unload in a very busy Houston port. This was the day after I got back from a 3 day mini vac with my wife. Listening to at least 3 or 4 podcast that day I realized I was missing alot. It impressed me so much of Lou's knowledge and how enthused he was about it I booked my very next vac for 2 months later. Since then I have been at least 6 times within 8 months and just got back 6 weeks ago and have rebooked for Jan. I did use Lou's main street cd I put on my Ipod and wait to get the new one in to go look Up and pay attention to detail.
    Disney did give me Discounts along with my annual pass, but make no mistake...It was Lou's picking my interest and his forum that allows others to share what they have done or expirenced. Disney is coming off WAYYYYYYY ahead on this deal. So far I've maybe bought 40.00 of merchandise from Lou counting his books and cds.
    I've spent on Disney this last year alone 20 times that easily.
    Last edited by Tmntrans; 07-07-2008 at 08:57 PM. Reason: spelling

goofy12 is offline A-Ticket holder

Re: Lou's realationship with Disney must be great

I think the quality of the podcasts and audio guides show how hard the whole crew works to get the Disney touch without the company funding!

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
    "It's kind of fun to do the impossible"- Walt Disney

Fun2BFree is offline C-Ticket Holder

As a follow up question:

If Disney would be silly to shut down such great promotional material that Lou disseminates, which includes their music in the background, then why are there zero Disney photos or pictures in his trivia books? Then, how can he include them in Celebrations magazine?

Just confused...

Mary jo is offline Fastpass Holder

I agree with WDWFNS2 100%. The bottom line is that Lou has a a very positive spin on Disney and all of their subsidiaries. He's not afraid to tell it like it is either, but usually that is in a very constructive way.

And this is why I love listening to Lou each week and why I am not worried about my kids listening to him as well.
    Mary Jo
    Listen for Storytime with MoJo