Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
The WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast Discuss FASTPASS and Tour Groups in the The WDW Radio Show forums; On the recent podcast, Lou expressed his annoyance at tour groups sending one person to grab FASTPASSes for their whole group. I can definitely understand the annoyance factor, but some ...
    trivial is offline A-Ticket holder

FASTPASS and Tour Groups

On the recent podcast, Lou expressed his annoyance at tour groups sending one person to grab FASTPASSes for their whole group. I can definitely understand the annoyance factor, but some people seem to think that it's wrong for groups to be doing this (whether it's a family of 4 or a tour group). As was mentioned on the podcast, Disney actually encourages tour groups to do exactly that. And why not? It saves the line-up, and let's face it: they have as much right to be there as we do, regardless of the size of their group. Annoying, yes, but totally legit.

Keasmom is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    I get if it is a small group, like 6 or less, but I have to agree with Lou that large groups really should go in the stand by line. many folks on this site have expressed frustration with the fact that very large families or groups often have one wait in line and the rest gaggle in after the "waiter" is close to the fron. My worst experience-like 16 middle easterns all came in at one time at Peter Pan's flight, that puts everyone who has patiently stood by several more minutes behind. Totally unfair. So when large groups do this it backs up the standby line and the astpass line. SO in moderation I agree it is a good system, but I believe larger groups need to make some concessions to stay together and not be a hinderance. Strictly my option.
    P.U.S.H.-A mantra MOST will not understand.

Disney rocks, Walt was a genius.

I just don't see why anyone would expect people in groups to be in a lower class, regardless of the size of their group (or their race). Regarding your experience with the "middle easterns," wouldn't it be faster for those people to come up and get their FPs all at once, instead of having one person putting the tickets in one at a time? I'm not advocating line-jumping, even in the FP line, I'm just wondering if that wouldn't have been faster.

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd
    I have mixed feelings on this as well.

To me, if there is a group of say 50 people, sending one person to go grab FPs for all them causes two problems. 1) A gigantic wait at the FP machine and 2) Times pushed back and sometimes even filled by the one group. Not to mention the fact that you end up wasting even more time at the machines so even more of your day is gone.

I also feel that unless you're maybe a parent, getting the FPs for your family, it's unfair to allow one person to go up and grab a ton of FPs while everyone else in the group is off having fun. Unfair to that person and unfair to the families who all wait together to get theirs.

Ultimately I think there is a lot of talk about how to improve the FP system at WDW and a lot of ideas have been rumored to be worked on. I think the park management sees the ways people abuse the system and how it can often cause frustration for other park guests.

Personally, I really like one idea I saw awhile back of only allowing on-property and AP holding guests to use the FPs. I know I'll get a lot of slack for saying that but to me, it'd clear up alot of these issues and it'd be a great way for Disney to get folks to stay on property. I certainly would be sure to stay on property each trip if a perk of it was I'd get to use the FPs. I could see some exceptions too, like maybe only people with a multi-day pass or a park hopper or something. Something that makes it so not every single person in the park can use them. I dunno... to me, lately, the system isn't working. ESPECIALLY with the CMs who don't check the dates/times like they should and allow folks in with FPs they bought on eBay... but I digress (that's a whole other subject).
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

I agree that the system should be improved. I'm wondering what could be done to soften the blow of a big group getting FPs without giving the groups the shaft. I'm just really opposed to people being penalized because they've come as a group. And yes, eBay FPs are ridiculous; perhaps Disney needs to add bar codes to be scanned.

I think the cause for annoyance at one person getting FPs for a group is that you don't have the indication that they're going to take longer, but either way, you're going to wait longer. Is it faster to have each person getting their own FPs? I've only ever had to get 2 FPs at a time, and the waits were next to nothing, so my personal experience is limited.

If it's faster to have each person get their own FPs, then I absolutely support making that a requirement, or limiting the number of FPs one person can get somehow, although I'm not a fan of more fingerprint scanners.

Oh don't misunderstand, I'm sure it's no faster to have each person get their own but it at least gives people outside the group an idea of how busy the FP machines are (if they see a huge group in line). It's a perception thing I'm sure. I by no means think people who travel in large groups should be penalized, but there's got to be a better way.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde

It's been a while, but aren't there usually about 6 machines? The person holding all the tickets can't use all 6 machines at once, can they? If so, that's got to stop.

Quote Originally Posted by trivial View Post
    It's been a while, but aren't there usually about 6 machines? The person holding all the tickets can't use all 6 machines at once, can they? If so, that's got to stop.
    Depends on which attraction you're talking about but I believe most have 4-6. Of course one person can't use all the machines at once. The issue with the whole "one person" thing is people tend to form a line behind each machine. So if you're one of the unlucky ones to get behind Mr. 50 FPs, you're stuck. Meanwhile of course you won't be able to cut over to another because it's got it's own line.

BTW - Welcome to the boards trivial!

Ahhh, gotcha. It should be set up so that there's only one line, not one line for each machine.

Thanks for the welcome! Been listening to the podcast for, oh, 5 months or so. Between WDW Radio and the DIS Unplugged, I get my fix for the week, heh. They're quite different, but I think they compliment each other very well.

harra is offline Fastpass Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJenn View Post
    ...I know I'll get a lot of slack for saying that but to me, it'd clear up alot of these issues and it'd be a great way for Disney to get folks to stay on property....
    Jenn,

You think you'll get slack for that statement. I can top it.....

How about getting rid of the fast pass program altogether.

I bet, if a good efficiency study was done, they would find out that the Fast Pass system actually SLOWS down the entire ride load times. In other words, if they eliminated it, the overall wait times would be less.

A CM working an attraction once told me that there is a pattern that must be followed to load the rides. For example, you load 20 people from the standby line, then x number from the fast pass. This back-and-forth routine actually slows down both lines.

Its like when someone taps their breaks during rush hour on the highway can create a complete stop of traffic several miles back from the cascading effect of everyone tapping their breaks in response to the first guy
    Ray
    Head Grump
    Grumpy's Hollow

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    I like the idea of one line for all the machines at the same attraction. Of course, it's tough enough for some people to get IN line and not take themselves to the front of the line. Remember that when someone has one fast pass, they don't get another till they use that one so that large group is now going to have to go stand in the regular line till their pass can be used. I'm far more annoyed at the people who leave and come back to join their party after their group has moved far ahead. And yes, I don't agree with only on property guests being able to get fast passes. On site guests already have early entry and extended hours.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

disneycrazy1956 is offline Fastpass Holder
    We were in WDW this past June and saw one tour guide with perhaps 200 (at least) tickets getting FPs. It was at toy story mania and one guest was really mad because the guy was there for like half an hour. I had run ahead and got FPs for my DD and myself while my more adventureous DW went to ToT, etc. We then went right on in the stand by line and then waited for our FP time. While waiting we observed the tour guide, and the other guest complaining to a cast member about the situation because it was really taking its toll on the FP times. I really like the fact that the machines at toy story mania have a line set up with an entrance and exit like at some of the counter service restaurants. That made it so much easier to tell who was in line and who was just a big group or family all crowded around the machine. I'm not sure how Disney would regulate how we get our FPs. The cast member was telling the unhappy guest there wasn't any thing he could do. My thought was the group was off at a character breakfast and this was how they were going to get their FPs whereas we were all there trying to get our own. Disney does seem to encourage one family member to get FPs while the rest are doing something else. I've seen this mentioned on the vacation planning videos, etc.
    "I just want it to look like nothing else in the world... and it should be surrounded by a train" -Walt Disney.
    90 CB, 92 DI, 94 CR, 97 FWC, 99 CS, 00 CS, 02 CS, 04 POR, 05 POR, 07 POR, 08 POFQ, 09 POR, 11 POR.

My gosh, 200?!? That's got to have a significant impact on FP times. I'm thinking of groups that are like 30 people, perhaps 40. They have groups of upwards of 200? Brutal. In cases of groups that big, they should definitely have a Disney liaison to facilitate them without inconveniencing other guests.
    Last edited by trivial; 08-12-2008 at 08:22 PM.

harra is offline Fastpass Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by trivial View Post
    My gosh, 200?!? That's got to have a significant impact on FP times. I'm thinking of groups that are like 30 people, perhaps 40. They have groups of upwards of 200? Brutal.
    trivial,

You obviously haven't seen the Brazilian Tour Groups. It is quite a sight to see. Large seas of young adults all wearing the same brightly colored shirt with their leader carry and flag on the end of a long pole.

I took a picture of a segment of one of these groups getting their picture taken by a PhotoPass photographer in front of Space Ship Earth

WDW_Day5_20080625_0003 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

They are the ones in the lime green shirts and blue shirts. There were a lot of them that were not wanting to be in the picture
    Ray
    Head Grump
    Grumpy's Hollow

I know of them, but have not come across them, no. I wasn't picturing groups of 100-200 people... who would want to tour like that?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast