Your Walt Disney World Information Station
The WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast Discuss WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast #82 - August 31, 2008 in the The WDW Radio Show forums; Welcome to The WDW Radio Show - Your Walt Disney World Information Station. I am your host, Lou Mongello and this is show #82 for the week of August 31, ...
    Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - WDW Trivia Book Author and Site Owner/Admin

WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast #82 - August 31, 2008

Welcome to The WDW Radio Show - Your Walt Disney World Information Station. I am your host, Lou Mongello and this is show #82 for the week of August 31, 2008 .

Iím producing the show early this week, so there wonít be any news or rumors, but I do something for you that I think youíll enjoy.

Jim Hensonís MuppetVision 3D is a landmark attraction in Walt Disney World not just for itís groundbreaking technology, classic characters, and truly hysterical show script. Itís an attraction that begins outside the show itself and carries over into arguably one of the very best queues anywhere in the Disney parks. But beyond that, it represents the work of its creator Jim Henson, and serves as a reminder of the relatively recent marriage between the Disney and Henson companies Ė and a deal whose negotiations began more than a decade ago. This week, I am pleased to welcome Jim Lewis and Craig Shemin, former staff writers for the Jim Henson Company, who were instrumental in the concept, design and creation of MuppetVision 3D. Weíll discuss the creation of the attraction and so many of its priceless jokes and gags, as well as the Muppet attractions that never came to be, working with Jim Henson, and the future of the Disney and the Muppets. Itís a fun chat with two of the people that knew Jim Henson well, and today continue to preserve his legacy.

Iíll end the show with a few of your voicemails, so sit back, relax, and enjoy this week's episode of the WDW Radio Show.
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

MickeyMouseDad is offline A-Ticket holder
    Where are the finalists listed on the WDW Radio page? I can't seem to find them....

MickeyMouse Dad

Bubba88 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Can wait to listen to the show this week, my two favorite things Disney and Muppets. Thanks again Lou.

T Morrows Child is offline C-Ticket Holder
    What a great conversation on this week's show, Lou. It's always a treat to get a glimpse into the creative process.

I always thought the Muppetvision 3D/4D seemed slightly out of place in the Studios, but when you talked about the Muppet Studios plans it all makes sense. Wow, that would have been a terrific section of the Hollywood Studios. I'll pay more attention to the theming and plotting in that area of the park to imagine what could have been.
    Have you seen my dad? Would you page him for me?

Next Family trip = April 16 - April 23, 2011, staying in an All Star Vacation Home!

lugnut is offline A-Ticket holder
    Great interview again Lou!! Really enjoyed it and it's always fascinating to get a behind the scenes account from the actual creators. My youngest daughter is a huge Muppets fan, so she'll be listening to the podcast soon.

I really hope Disney does spend the money keep the Muppets fresh. I know Muppetvision 3D has held up well, but the film really needs a refurb (IMHO).

DRC2 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Shelby Twp. , Michigan/ via Hillsboro Oregon
    Another Home Run! Have always loved the Muppets and could never forget the first time seeing Muppet Vision (or the last time this past May at Disneyland). Enjoyed the discussion with Jim Lewis and Craig Shemin and all the info. shared.
    Thank you again and keep up the great work!

Also looking forward to issue #1 of your magazine!

yensid1071 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Another great show Lou!! It's great to hear how rides and queues were set up and what plans they had, even if it never happened. I'd still LOVE to see more Muppets stuff in the parks! We've only waited in the full MuppetVision queue once and saw all of the poster and gags. DW even teased me for taking pics of so many of them and holding up the line... lol!

I'm sure some or most of you may know this, but there are "new" Muppet segments on disney.com. Every so often they'll put one in their home page rotation. You can also go to a link where they have all of the shorts (my faves are those with Dr Bunsen Honeydew and his assistant, Beaker, at "Muppet Labs Technical Support. Where, technically, we support you, even if we don't." Funny stuff!).

Keep up the great work and I hope you had a great vacation!!
    Jay
    Mahna mahna....

Officially escaped the Box on January 4, 2012!

I have short term memory loss. It runs in the family. Well, at least I *think* it does. Hmmmm... where are they???

Spyne is offline Fastpass Holder
    Great show Lou! Jim Henson's MuppetVision 3D is surely a great show at the Studios, and listening to Jim Lewis and Craig Shemin talk about the initial creation was so fascinating to hear. I also really see this attraction as a true tribute to the late, great Jim Henson. I also agree with your notion that making people happy is what Jim Henson and Walt Disney had in common, and the marriage of Muppets and Disney is perfect to me. Again, great show Lou!
    Keep it cool, and keep moving forward!

Trips to Walt Disney World

1995: Port Orleans French Quarter - 2000: All-Star Music
    2008: Caribbean Beach - 2009: Pop Century
    NEXT TRIP: Sep/Oct 2011 - WDW's 40th Anniversary!

GoofTrooper is offline Come along and join the fun
    I just emailed this to Lou, but I thought I'd post it here too. This is a video from Late Night with Conan O'Brien showing the muppet closet mentioned in the interview.

Late Night UNDERGROUND
    Adam
    I see they're loading our navigator R2-D2 and then we'll be on our way. So sit back, relax and enjoy the flight...

Bubba88 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    That was great to see, thanks.