Your Walt Disney World Information Station
The WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast Discuss WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast #90 - Oct. 26, 2008 in the The WDW Radio Show forums; Hello and welcome once again to The WDW Radio Show - Your Walt Disney World Information Station . I am your host, Lou Mongello and this is show #90 for ...
    Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - Disney Expert, Host, Author, Speaker and Entrepreneur

WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast #90 - Oct. 26, 2008

Hello and welcome once again to The WDW Radio Show - Your Walt Disney World Information Station. I am your host, Lou Mongello and this is show #90 for the week of October 26, 2008.

Timing is everything, and this week I have two segments for you that I chose just for that reason.

With the upcoming Presidential election, I thought it would be a great opportunity to take a detailed look at the Magic Kingdom’s Hall of Presidents. It’s an attraction rich in history, unique in concept and is unfortunately often overlooked. Kristen Helmstetter, who wrote her Honors Thesis on this attraction, joins me to discuss its history, story, changes and importance.

In my next segment, we’ll celebrate the Halloween season, along with one of our all-time favorite attractions, as Tim Foster and I take a fun look at the Top Ten Things We Love About the Haunted Mansion. With so much to enjoy and appreciate about this timeless classic, Top 10 might be a bit of a misnomer on this one.

I’ll have more updates at the end of the show, as well as some of your voicemails, so sit back, relax, and enjoy this week's episode of the WDW Radio Show.

Email the show at lou [at] wdwradio.com

Call our NEW TOLL FREE voicemail at 888-703-2171

If you like the show, please let others know by reviewing it on iTunes
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    Great show, but I am going to have to make a trip to MK this week. If there is a smell in HM, I've never noticed it.

My top favorite aspect of HM is the whole outside cue area; the graveyard, the ironwork, and most of all the building of the mansion high above the rest of that area of the park to give it a looming look as you approach.

I'm so glad I just visited the Hall of Presidents so your discussion of it was fresh in my mind as well. We can start a pool as to where we think the next President will be placed.

Update: OK. DH and I went straight to HM today. Both of us sniffed and sniffed. People must have thought we had some strange nasal problem. Neither of us smelled anything that gave us the impression of musty. So, now I'm paniced that my house smells musty and I'm so used to it that I don't notice it in other places!!!!
    Last edited by mini-V; 10-29-2008 at 10:41 PM. Reason: addendum
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

disney_barbie is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Loved the show this week Lou!

We made a special trip to the Hall of Presidents on our last trip earlier this month, as I hadn't seen it for a few years & knew it would be refurbished soon.

I love HoP and the American Adventure in Epcot.. my DBF agrees that it makes us want to be American! i get so choked up during 'Golden Dream' and when the Voices of Liberty sing the national anthem. You seem so proud of your country, and much more patriotic.. which i don't feel we always have in the UK :P

oh and I listened to the HM segment on my drive home from work, in the dark. bit spooky! i wasnt scared.. well, maybe just a little!

luv & pixie dust

Barbie x

TiggerRPh is offline E-Ticket Holder
    I love the Hall of Presidents. The show is so well done.
    Ray

DVC Member - Since 1995
    Old Key West

M-I-C-K-E-Y....I'm a Disney freak.

Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - Disney Expert, Host, Author, Speaker and Entrepreneur
    Thanks everybody! As you can tell, I was having WAY too much fun on the Top 10 segment
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

pigletfan is offline D-Ticket Holder
    I loved this show! I learned a few things about the Haunted Mansion that I didn't know. Like, I didn't know about the shadow and moving lights in the windows of the mansion, or the details in the benches outside. I will look for them next time.

Now, here's a question for Lou. My son had a broken foot with a cast on his leg one time and he was in a wheelchair. We asked about how to enter the attraction and they led us through the exit side and then into a side door on the left. It went down a hallway and then we ended up in the loading area. Was this the "servents quarters" area that you talked about? I remember being so excited about this hallway because I got to see something new! It was cool!

makeminemusic is offline A-Ticket holder
    Great show as always. If anyone wants to listens to the HM records mentioned in the show I made a Halloween special (in Ken's record blog) recorded from my record collection and posted on our NFFC Club MountainEars website.

I really enjoyed the talk about the Hall of Presidents. I enjoy taking time to see the exhibits and portraits in the lobby, and of course the background music playing :-)
    "Make Mine Music and the World will Sing"

Come listen to the classic Disney vinyl on www.waltsmusic.com

RandBmom is offline A-Ticket holder
    I've been meaning to post this HM story. On DS first trip to WDW in 1997 we rode HM. SInce neither of us had ridden in years, we didn't remember everything about the entire ride. Brendan was sitting between us and pretty much had hands over eyes for the whole ride. We convinced him the ride was almost over when the Doombuggy turned sideways so he peeked out, only to see himself disappear and be replaced with a hitchhiking ghost in the mirror. Needless to say, he didn't ride HM for many trips after that. He's now almost 14 and nine trips later does still remember that first HM ride. We eventually got him back on years later...
    RandBmom

Spyne is offline Fastpass Holder
    Really fun show this week Lou! Your detailed look at the Hall of Presidents with Kristen Helmstetter was really great to hear. I actually regret not seeing it on my recent trip now. But next trip, I will definitely make it a point to see it! This segment really opened my eyes up to it.

Your new Top 10 with Tim Foster about The Haunted Mansion I couldn't agree with more. Especially on my recent trip seeing it after last year's refurbishment; The Haunted Mansion will always remain a classic. As you alluded to; perfect timing for Halloween. Once again; really great show this week Lou, and have a Happy Halloween!
    Keep it cool, and keep moving forward!

Trips to Walt Disney World

1995: Port Orleans French Quarter - 2000: All-Star Music
    2008: Caribbean Beach - 2009: Pop Century
    NEXT TRIP: Sep/Oct 2011 - WDW's 40th Anniversary!

WDW4Ever is offline Annual Passholder
    What was the sound that Lou talked about when you're being pushed out the stretching room by the butler?
    "If you can dream it you can do it."
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

DocTerminus is offline A-Ticket holder
    Quote Originally Posted by WDW4Ever View Post
    What was the sound that Lou talked about when you're being pushed out the stretching room by the butler?
    As you leave the room to load into the Doom Buggies, there are several 'enhancements' in the sound including the sounds of gargoyles "commenting" on your departure.
    Whatcha doin'? Hibernatin'?

Visit Passamaquoddy
    A Disney blog.
    http://www.passamaquoddy.blog.com

VonBaroketch is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Lou, I know the exact cm at the HOP you were referring to. His name is James, and he has been there for many years. His knowledge about American presidential history is astonishing. On my last trip, I found him at Pirates. Hopefully this is just while the HOP is down. He really does make the attraction special.
    Ludwig von Baroketch
    Kapellmeister, Gracey Estate
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Happy Haunt is offline A-Ticket holder
    Being the Haunted Mansion geek I am, this was an awesome top ten. I love hearing anything about the Mansion, and now I finally have a smell to compare my Grandparents House to!