Your Walt Disney World Information Station
The WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast Discuss WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast #92 - Nov. 9, 2008 in the The WDW Radio Show forums; Hello and welcome to The WDW Radio Show - Your Walt Disney World Information Station. I am your host, Lou Mongello and this is show #92 for the week of ...
    Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - WDW Trivia Book Author and Site Owner/Admin

WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast #92 - Nov. 9, 2008

Hello and welcome to The WDW Radio Show - Your Walt Disney World Information Station. I am your host, Lou Mongello and this is show #92 for the week of November 9, 2008.

There is big news coming out of Walt Disney World this week, as Disney has reacted to the tough economy by giving Guests a pair of vacation deals which could give more families the chance to visit Walt Disney World and the Disney Cruise Line.

In my first segment, we’re going to explore Finding Nemo: The Musical, as Glenn Whelan and I look at it’s history, story, music and what it took to bring this Broadway-quality production to a Disney park.

I’ll then open up the inbox and answer more of your emails with the help of Beci Mahnken. Topics include romantic spots in Walt Disney World, including where to “pop the question” and vow renewal ceremonies, the best steakhouse on property, questions about how to get chosen to help open the Magic Kingdom, spending New Year’s Eve in Walt Disney World and much more.

Before I end the show, I’ll announce the winner of last week’s Country Bear Jamboree contest, give you this week’s NEW contest question, and give you some updates before playing your voicemails. So sit back, relax, and enjoy this week's episode of the WDW Radio Show.
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

little grammy is offline Fastpass Holder
    Finding Nemo on Broadway would be fantastic. I just bet we will see that
    someday. Always enjoy your input, Glenn.
    "MagicMeets" Attendee 2006, '07, '08 and '09

"D23 EXPO" Attendee 2009

First Time Cruiser--- Disney Dream
    Feb. 2011 Deck 7 #7186

Milkshake is offline A-Ticket holder
    Great podcast, as usual!

One of the questions was about how to increase your chances to get to open the Magic Kingdom with Mickey. In Feb. 2007, we were lucky enough to get tapped. I asked the cast member, "Why us?" She never really answered the question. Basically, we were in the right place at the right time. We had an early morning ADR at CRT. She said that CRT doesn't normally like to change reservations, but I would have gladly cancelled my reservation to have this once-in-a-lifetime experience! Thankfully, we didn't have to do that, we just went later.

My best guess as to, "Why us," was that we were a 3 generation family -- Mom, Dad, Daughter, Grandma & Grandpa. Really, it was just luck. It was THE highlight of our trip and one of the best times we've ever had. We're going again in a few weeks, the day after Thanksgiving, and we know that nothing will top that magical experience. Except maybe getting tapped for the Royal Suite. Hey, I can dream, can't I?

Myra

WeHeartDisney is offline A-Ticket holder
    Hey all...It's me...Kristi Greene...the one that won the Country Bear Jamboree contest!! I was SO excited!! Just wanted to say hey!

cannp123165 is offline A-Ticket holder
    Great Show, Lou! I really enjoyed the segment on Finding Nemo: The Musical - I love that show!

Fun2BFree is offline C-Ticket Holder
    I'm curious about one thing: I've heard the term "Broadway caliber" or "Broadway quality" used for shows like Finding Nemo at AKL or some of the shows on DCL. I haven't seen either of these, but I have seen my share of Broadway shows, including Beauty & the Beast, Tarzan, and Lion King (and Mary Poppins this coming winter).

For those that are familiar with these shows at AKL/DCL and Broadway, how close to "Broadway quality" are they really?

Spyne is offline Fastpass Holder
    I really enjoyed this week's show Lou! The new deal made by Disney giving people three nights free at Walt Disney World and the discount on Disney Cruise Line cruises is just spectacular. In these times of a tough economy, it's the perfect thing for Disney to offer. Just leave it to Disney, they can make magic happen even in tough times!

Your reflection and discussion on Finding Nemo: The Musical with Glenn Whelan was so awesome to hear. I enjoyed listening to it so much, and it actually did hit home for me. My recent trip in September was when I saw the show for the first time, and I can agree with everyone's praises about it. It was just an amazing show, and it was so moving as well. This was an awesome retrospective on it, fitting for a great show! Great job on the emails with Beci Mahnken as well. Great show Lou, keep it up!
    Keep it cool, and keep moving forward!

Trips to Walt Disney World

1995: Port Orleans French Quarter - 2000: All-Star Music
    2008: Caribbean Beach - 2009: Pop Century
    NEXT TRIP: Sep/Oct 2011 - WDW's 40th Anniversary!

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fun2BFree View Post
    I'm curious about one thing: I've heard the term "Broadway caliber" or "Broadway quality" used for shows like Finding Nemo at AKL or some of the shows on DCL. I haven't seen either of these, but I have seen my share of Broadway shows, including Beauty & the Beast, Tarzan, and Lion King (and Mary Poppins this coming winter).

For those that are familiar with these shows at AKL/DCL and Broadway, how close to "Broadway quality" are they really?
    Aside from being only about 30 minutes long instead of 90 - 120 minutes, the production quality for Finding Nemo: the Musical is definitely good enough to play in a Broadway theater. Having seen BatB (2x) and Lion King (1x) on B'way, I'm not a theater expert, but it seems to me that Nemo has the quality music, the innovative set/staging/production, and the integrity of story that one expects from Broadway. And it has fantastic performers.

BatB on Broadway blew me away when I first saw it at its original theater. The second time we went was after it had moved from The Palace to the Lunt-Fontanne, and there had been some changes made to accommodate the smaller venue. Lion King was seen at the Minskoff, its second home, having given up the New Amsterdam theatre to Mary Poppins. I know my DH and I were feeling that the Minskoff and the Theater in the Wild were fairly close in stage size, and Nemo actually has a larger seating capacity.

If it were to be brought to the great white way, it would have to be lengthened (of course), and probably during those added segments some additional material that added some more mature depth to the story would be included. For example, in The Lion King on Broadway, they make a change to the story line where Nala leaves the pridelands. I don't want to spoil it for someone who hasn't seen the show, but this small change added a more mature explanation for her leaving than the "I'm going to go for help" you get in the film, as well as providing an opportunity for her to have a beautiful song that isn't in the original film. While I have yet to see the show, I understand that Mary Poppins on Broadway stays closer to the original books and is a bit darker than the film version. Little Mermaid gets into Ursula's backstory. BatB gets into the Beast's head with a show stopping number, "If I Can't Love Her."

Finding Nemo definitely has room for adding depth to the material - I could see some exploration of Gil's backstory, or how his relationship with Nemo evolves. Or something about Marlin and Dory's relationship. Or why the dentist likes fish, or why Darla kills them. There's plenty of opportunities there to make it a full-fledged Broadway production.

I think I may have rambled a bit here, but the short answer to your question is "really close."
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

KINGCRAB is offline Annual Passholder
    To Lou Mongello...

Please stop bashing Stitch's Great Escape.

Please do a DSI (Disney Scene Investigation) segment on it real soon so you can come to appreciate it just as much as you do the rest of WDW.

Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - WDW Trivia Book Author and Site Owner/Admin
    Bashing? I don't remember criticizing Stitch (or any other attraction for that matter) so harshly on this or any other episode. Was there something I said specifically this week to make you feel that I am "bashing" it? If so, I apologize, as that was not my intent.

That being said... Do I believe it is the very best attraction in Walt Disney World? Certainly not. I think it does fall short of expectations in a number of areas, namely storyline, accessibility to children of all ages that might enjoy the character and movies (as it is somewhat scary, has a 40" height requirement [that I barely reach myself]), etc.

However, I have also said that the Stitch and laser cannon arms are some of the best, smoothest Animatronics anywhere on property.

And don't worry... a full investigation of Stitch's Great Escape and the attractions that predated it in that building is coming
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

KINGCRAB is offline Annual Passholder
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou Mongello View Post
    Bashing? I don't remember criticizing Stitch (or any other attraction for that matter) so harshly on this or any other episode. Was there something I said specifically this week to make you feel that I am "bashing" it? If so, I apologize, as that was not my intent.

That being said... Do I believe it is the very best attraction in Walt Disney World? Certainly not. I think it does fall short of expectations in a number of areas, namely storyline, accessibility to children of all ages that might enjoy the character and movies (as it is somewhat scary, has a 40" height requirement [that I barely reach myself]), etc.

However, I have also said that the Stitch and laser cannon arms are some of the best, smoothest Animatronics anywhere on property.

And don't worry... a full investigation of Stitch's Great Escape and the attractions that predated it in that building is coming
    You do know that SGE was created by a lot of the same Imagineers that made Mickey's PhilharMagic (Kevin Rafferty, Rick Rothschild, etc.), right?

I also hope that you're doing a full investigation of the Enchanted Tiki Room--Under New Management as well. The fans still need to be enlightened to that one as well and start appreciating that version of the show more.
    Last edited by KINGCRAB; 11-24-2008 at 12:26 AM.

reubenco is offline A-Ticket holder
    Wow, I realized in this show how little I really do keep in touch with WDW news. Last time I was there, I saw Tarzan Rocks and I never even knew it was replaced. Anyway, if you want to see some Tarzan Rocks pics, email me at reubencohen@verizon.net
    They're fairly good quality.
    Stuck as far away from WDW as possible

DocTerminus is offline A-Ticket holder
    Quote Originally Posted by Fun2BFree View Post

I too have seen Tarzan, BATB, Lion King and Mary Poppins on Broadway and, other than the abridged running time and bench seating... I believe FINDING NEMO is right in line. To be fair, I think it is the only show on WDW property that even comes close. I have not seen the Aladdin show at DCA so cannot speak intelligently about that one...

My 2 cents,
    Whatcha doin'? Hibernatin'?

Visit Passamaquoddy
    A Disney blog.
    http://www.passamaquoddy.blog.com

little grammy is offline Fastpass Holder
    Hi Doc... see you soon...
    Remember to keep your elbows off of the table!!
    "MagicMeets" Attendee 2006, '07, '08 and '09

"D23 EXPO" Attendee 2009

First Time Cruiser--- Disney Dream
    Feb. 2011 Deck 7 #7186