Your Walt Disney World Information Station
The WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast Discuss WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast #96 - Dec. 7, 2008 in the The WDW Radio Show forums; Hello and welcome to The WDW Radio Show - Your Walt Disney World Information Station . I am your host, Lou Mongello and this is show #96 for the week ...
    Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - WDW Trivia Book Author and Site Owner/Admin

WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast #96 - Dec. 7, 2008

Hello and welcome to The WDW Radio Show - Your Walt Disney World Information Station . I am your host, Lou Mongello and this is show #96 for the week of December 7, 2008.

Continuing along with the spirit of the holiday season, we’re going to look at Ye Olde Christmas Shoppe in the Magic Kingdom’s Liberty Square. But rather than just a simple walkthrough of this quaint little store, we will once again dig deeper into it’s story, long history and the meaning behind some of the things you’ll see next time your browsing through, or even just walking past. Joining me this week on this DSI: Disney Scene Investigation is fellow Disney Geek George Taylor. He will also talk with me about some of Walt Disney World’s other Christmas stores including some very interesting little details and Magical Moments, some extinct shops from days gone by, and we’ll even give you our Walt Disney World Christmas Lists, just in case Santa is listening this week.

From one list to another, we’ll next look at another Top 10 list with Tim Foster. And this week we’ll wear our hearts on our sleeves as we look at the Top 10 Sentimental Moments in Walt Disney World. Yes, we two manly men will look at some of those emotional moments that just get you right here every time you visit.

I’ll announce the winner of last week’s Wayback Machine contest before playing some more of your voicemails, so sit back, relax, and enjoy this week's episode of the WDW Radio Show.

Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

luvsfigment is offline A-Ticket holder
    Hey Lou, I'm enjoying the show right now and had to comment about the Christmas village houses you were talking about. My husband and I collect them and when we went looking for a new one on our last trip and were told they are being discontinued. Unfortunately they are only selling what's left of the stock right now. Bottom line, if you were ever planning to buy one, now is the time!

D23

luvsfigment is offline A-Ticket holder
    Lou, this episode needs to come with a "Not Safe For Work" warning. I'm listening to the podcast here at my desk and a coworker walks over and says "Hey, are you feeling ok? Your eyes are all red..." To which I reply, "uh... yeah. Must be allergies. Cough, cough." What was I supposed to say? Listening to the sentimental Disney moments is making me cry???

I agree whole heartedly with everything on that list. My family has always been a big Disney crying family. I can't count the amount of times all 4 of us were wiping away tears after Wishes, or Spectro, or a quiet moment on Main Street. The one that got me was my first trip with my husband who never, ever cries. I look over during Spectro and there he is with tears streaming down his face. That was the moment I knew he "got it".

Recently my bff and her fiance got back from a trip to Disney. It was his first trip in almost 20 years. Just the 2 of us were sitting in my living room and he leans in and says "can I tell you something in confidence?" He was acting like it was some huge earth shattering secret. He follows with "when we were in Disney, I cried a lot. Seriously. At a theme park. It made me cry. Don't tell anyone." I told him to join the club.

Great, great show.

D23

disney_barbie is offline B-Ticket Holder
    great festive show Lou!

it was so exciting to hear a DSI on the xmas shops at wdw, thank you!

i was listening to the show while gazing at the christmas tree we've just decorated, complete with decorations bought from Ye Olde Christmas Shop

enjoy mousefest & happy holidays

Emma

Disney_Barbie

OnlyImagination is offline A-Ticket holder

Awesome podcast...again

Another great podcast. The most memorable moment for me and my family was the first time we went. We actually stayed off property and me and my sister had no idea what we were doing in Orlando. We woke up one morning and got a bus that to our surprise shuttled to WDW. When we arrived it was probably one of the best memories I have. I can remember walking down Main Street and seeing the castle and from then it has just been an obsession. Im just thankful that we no longer stay off property though. I also heard you say that it was going to be the last top ten that you and Tim were going to do? I hope this isn't true. Have a good week!
    Last edited by OnlyImagination; 12-09-2008 at 07:30 PM.
    -Jonathan
    "Walt Disney World is a tribute to the philosophy and life of Walter Elias Disney and to the talents, the dedication, and the loyalty of the entire Disney organization that made Walt Disney's dream come true." Roy O. Disney

pippin1957 is offline A-Ticket holder
    Great podcast....I haven't finished the top 10 list, but, regarding the former stores on the site of the Christmas shop, you failed to bring out an important quality that has been lost from WDW since the Eisner era. In the book RealityLand by David Koenig, he mentions that the imagineers installed many shops in the WDW Magic Kingdom for their show value rather than any thought of the shop making a profit. This, of course, was especially true on Main Street, but also in the very themed Liberty Square. Unfortunately, most of these shops which lent a much more realistic atmosphere to each land have given way to 'gift' shops, most with generic item. I, myself, have never been into the christmas shop in LS, but after hearing your DSI, I will most certainly stop in the next time we are in WDW.

Engine5972 is offline A-Ticket holder
    Lou and Tim, I lost track of the number of times I felt like you'd seen inside my head. My list would look almost identical to the list you guys broadcast. I've said for years that the Disney parks are the only ones that engage all your emotions - thrills, laughs, tears. I too get choked up at the different "American Pride" attractions - imagine seeing them for the first time less than 30 days after Sept. 11, as I did, when the parks were mostly empty and all the cast members' brave and bright smiles couldn't completely cover their sadness and uncertainty. "Great bird / With your golden wings / Keeping dreams aloft / In the rain." Missed the Voices of Liberty that trip, but when the sopranos really reach for the stratosphere at the end of a patriotic song, it's hankie time. The end of Finding Nemo: The Musical would have had me sobbing uncontrollably if I had let it go - in 2007, we useda WDW trip to close a long and difficult chapter were I lost both my parents to cancer within 4 months of each other, several other dear family members, changed jobs abdrenovated the old homestead before moving in. Seeing my parents as human beings is easier now that they're gone, and Marlin is the mirror image of my Mom: overprotective out of sheer love. So when Marlin finally overcomes being overprotective at the end of the show, I found it even harder to compose myself than at my folks' memorial services. Mom eventually learned to let go, and then years later I had to let her go. It all came home for me at that moment.
    The elegend of the Lion King was the first Disney thing that got me choked up when I saw it as a parade at Disneyland before it migrated to Florida. It was blisteringly hot that day, and the performers were all sweating buckets, but their smiles were so genuinely undimmed, and their energy was not in the least diminished when they reached Main Street at the end of the route. It was that, coupled by the soaring music, that touched me. They were really giving it their all, just for us Guests. I was with my girlfriend at the time, and she made fun of me a little. That was the moment I knew the relationship couldn't go any further. I had just "gotten it" and she didn't. LOL!!

Spyne is offline Fastpass Holder
    Really great show Lou! Your new DSI: Disney Scene Investigation with George Taylor on the Ye Olde Christmas Shoppe was definitely one I agreed with. I remember seeing this store in the Magic Kingdom's Liberty Square, and it's amazing that here it's Christmas all year 'round. This store definitely does deserve more recognition; and you and George did a great job with it! Your new Top 10 with Tim Foster on the Top 10 Sentimental Moments in Walt Disney World is one I can agree with on every level. There are many moments, songs, what have you in WDW that get to me on an emotional level, and everything on the list I agreed with. I almost get a little teary-eyed when I hear Wishes or IllumiNations every time. Congrats to the winner of the Wayback Machine contest as well! Really great show Lou! Keep it up, and enjoy your time at MouseFest!
    Keep it cool, and keep moving forward!

Trips to Walt Disney World

1995: Port Orleans French Quarter - 2000: All-Star Music
    2008: Caribbean Beach - 2009: Pop Century
    NEXT TRIP: Sep/Oct 2011 - WDW's 40th Anniversary!

EllenKH is offline A-Ticket holder
    Great show, as always, Lou! Boy, can we relate to the crying! Remember the Disney television ad with 2 little kids that were "too excited to sleep" the night before heading to WDW? That's my husband and me! We get a little teary on the way to the airport and again when we're boarding the Magical Express! In fact, we're heading down on Christmas day to see our daughter (a cast member - we're so proud!!) and I'm a little teary writing this! :-) Happy & Magical Holidays to all!

makeminemusic is offline A-Ticket holder
    Hi Lou!
    Great show about the Ye Olde Christmas Shoppe. I love that place!!
    An interesting note about Disney's Johnny Tremain. The song "Liberty Tree" came from the film (available on DVD). In the past I have heard the song played by the Fife and Drum Corps at World Showcase (not sure if they still exist?)
    "Make Mine Music and the World will Sing"

Come listen to the classic Disney vinyl on www.waltsmusic.com

mhouli is offline A-Ticket holder
    I was a trip and just got to listen to your Podcast on Dec.7 about things that instill the sense of wonder and happiness about going home to WDW. The one thing that chokes me up is during the year when I go see a Walt Disney picture is the opening with the training coming down the tracks and it pans out to the castle. It reminds me of all the great times my family and I have spent with Disney but it also reminds me of when I was a kid and the Wonderful World of Disney was coming up TV and the anticipation of waiting for Walt to take us on new adventures. Thanks for your Podcast Lou and I look forward every week to listen just like when I was a kid and would look forward to the TV show. Merry Christmas and keep up the good work,

Mike

8lovesmickey is offline A-Ticket holder

Sentimental City!

Hey Lou -- Loved this episode, and don't worry about getting your man card taken away; every Disney fan I know has those teary moments that add that extra something to each vacation.

For me the number one sentimental moment happens every time I hear "Baroque Hoe-Down" from the Main Street Electrical Parade. I am instantly transported to all my childhood trips to Disneyland, standing on the curb on a very dark Main Street, and hearing the first electronic sounds about the same time that the lights from the first float are visible.

I was ecstatic when it was revived at DCA and have seen it there a few times; I still get the lump in my throat.

Probably the most sappy, though, is the fact that I tear up when I hear the beginning of the song on my iPod when I'm walking the dog. It's a little embarrassing to be wiping the tears away while strolling around the park! Thank heavens for sunglasses.

Thanks for the memories

mickeysgal is offline A-Ticket holder
    Great show, however, my list would be Top 10 Things I Don't Get Sentimental About At WDW. Seriously, everything makes me well up, especially now that I see the "World" with my kids.

I have to agree with you, Lou. Seeing your kids watching the parade, evokes emotions you never knew you had. Up until this recent trip in December, my daughter was afraid of the characters. She couldn't even watch then in the parade. This last trip, we enjoyed the MVMCP parade for the first time. While our children were hoisted on our shoulders, I could hear my daughter calling out to all the characters by name, as though they had been old friends. She was thrilled when she believed they waved back to her and smiled the rest of the night. I looked at my husband through watery eyes, and smiled with content. It was a memorable trip.
    Traveling to WDW with kids? Visit me at www.strollingtheparks.blogspot.com

Engine5972 is offline A-Ticket holder

Sappy and Proud Of It

Quote Originally Posted by 8lovesmickey View Post

Probably the most sappy, though, is the fact that I tear up when I hear the beginning of the song on my iPod when I'm walking the dog. It's a little embarrassing to be wiping the tears away while strolling around the park! Thank heavens for sunglasses.
    I hear ya, 8. For me it's IllumiNations. Or Wishes - Especially the moment near the end where the music does a false climax and instead it all goes quiet and you hear just the voice of the little girl: "And all your wishes. . . ."

If either tune pops up in a random shuffle while I'm driving or otherwise out and about, I'm wiping tears from behind my shades. How about the achingly beautiful music from Impressions De France? That'll bring ya to tears just for the art of it. When I'm on my deathbed I'll be asking to hear that.

Re: the Electrical Parade, hearing Jack Wagner's electronicized voice talking about "thousands of sparkling lights and electrosynthemagnetic musical sounds" just brings me a big ol' stupid grin.

In my earlier post I didn't mention what a beautiful moment we had on the dock at the Wilderness Lodge in Oct. 2001 - Just a few families out there watching the Electrical Water Pageant, and the patriotic section had all the grownups cheering hoarsely thru our tears. I see the Pageant now thru the lens of that memory.

Mickeysgal, what am I in for? We're about to welcome a little girl in February! Am I gonna be just a blubbering mess from the time we step on property to when we get home? Probably. . . . .
    Last edited by Engine5972; 12-29-2008 at 09:02 PM. Reason: Wanted to respond to mickeysgal's post