Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
The WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast Discuss WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast #97 - Dec. 14, 2008 in the The WDW Radio Show forums; Hello and welcome to The WDW Radio Show - Your Walt Disney World Information Station. I am your host, Lou Mongello and this is show #97 for the week of ...
    Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - Disney Expert, Host, Author, Speaker and Entrepreneur

WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast #97 - Dec. 14, 2008

Hello and welcome to The WDW Radio Show - Your Walt Disney World Information Station. I am your host, Lou Mongello and this is show #97 for the week of December 14, 2008.

This week, we’re going to explore in detail not one, but two of Walt Disney World’s most well-themed resorts, as we take an in-depth look at Disney’s Port Orleans Riverside and French Quarter Resorts. Joining me from merry old England is Andrew Willey, creator of one of the most in-depth online resources about the resorts. Together, we’ll discover and help you learn more about not just the rooms, amenities and ways to get the most out your time there, but the incredibly detailed Imagineered back-story and interesting history of these properties. It’s a fun, informative look at two resorts that offer two unique experiences, and lots of wonderful time outside the parks.

I’ll play some more of your voicemails at the end of the show, so sit back, relax, and enjoy this week's episode of the WDW Radio Show.
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

Andre is offline A-Ticket holder
    [cough] Who's this Andrew?

If anyone has any questions regarding Port Orleans, please ask away.

Andre
    Last edited by Andre; 02-10-2009 at 08:00 AM.
    Port Orleans Riverside is my second home - I never get homesick when I'm there, but it does happen the other way around!

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
    Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

nicks10 is offline @nick_straka
    Excellent show, what a great in depth look at Port Orleans. One of my favorite segments!
    -Nick

"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy"

s2brown is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Great podcast as always. Port Orleans French Quarter is one of my favorite resorts and will be staying there again on my next trip in June 2009.

MrCottonsParrot is offline B-Ticket Holder

POFQ is just about my favorite resort

I've stayed at the Poly and the Contemporary, but that was when I was a kid and in the late 70's. Fast forward to 2001, the next time I stayed on property. We did our homework, mostly through the Passporter books, and decided on POFQ, based on the "small, intimate" nature of it.

We arrived in the afternoon and as I was parking the rental car, my wife and kids went inside to explore. As I approached the lobby, they all came out with ear to ear grins! This place was was a blast, from the "first impressions" in the lobby to the courtyards, the pool, and the overall theming. We took advantage of the boats to DD and used it several times. We enjoyed this resort so much that we returned again in 2004. Since then we've joined DVC so our recent visits have been to DVC properties. We're returning again next month for a short visit before our DCL cruise and we're returning again to our beloved POFQ for two nights.

Last year I stayed at POR while attending a conference and found the resort to be wonderful on its own terms, but sentimentally I wished I was at POFQ. However, I did get to see Yehaa Bob there! In fact, I'm dragging the kids to see his show next month.

Lou, thanks for spotlighting these wonderful resorts.

Fun2BFree is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Two thank you's:

1) Thanks for the POFQ&R DSI's. If I ever find myself going there, I'll review this 'cast. (I keep all the old DSI's handy for this reason.) I always tell my family - for next trip, if nobody's willing to spring for the Poly or Beach/Yacht, French Quarter it is!

2) Thanks for playing my voicemail! I truly feel terrible I missed Celebration 25!

Hey, EPCOT! Fix the jumping fountains!!!!

TestSherpa is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Port Orleans French Quarter is terrific. As a kid growing up in CA I was a big fan of the French Quarter of DL. Thanks for all the great work as always, Lou.
    M
    Founder of TestSherpa LSAT Test Preparation
    The LSAT is not as fun as the Haunted Mansion, but just as scary.

Allison is offline A-Ticket holder
    Has anyone else had trouble donwloading the show from Itunes? I've been trying all week and keep getting the message that an unknown error occurred. It's happening with one other podcast but I'm not having trouble with the other 3 I subscribe to. I need my WDW Radio Show podcast to help my commute time go quickly.

bamfer23 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    I have had that problem too...iTunes keep making shows I had downloaded disappear, and then not updating correctly.
    I unsubscribed and then resubscribed, and it seemed to work for me then

luvsfigment is offline A-Ticket holder
    Thanks for the show, guys! We're going to POFQ for the first time next December and I absolutely can't wait. Andre, your site has been a great help as well!

D23

Andre is offline A-Ticket holder
    Glad you enjoyed the show and found my website useful too - it's feedback like yours that makes all the work that has to be put into things like my site worthwhile.

Wishing everyone a Very Merry Christmas and a Happy & Prosperous New Year.

Happy Holidays everybody!

Andre
    Last edited by Andre; 02-10-2009 at 07:59 AM.
    Port Orleans Riverside is my second home - I never get homesick when I'm there, but it does happen the other way around!

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
    Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

mickeysgal is offline A-Ticket holder
    I know I'm a little behind on my podcasts...but I have a good excuse... I was in WDW. But now I'm back and catching up.

This was a great podcast. Port Orleans (now French Quarter) was the first on property resort my family ever stayed on. We've stayed on site ever since. We loved it. I have to say it is still my favorite moderate resort, ever! Portorleans.org is a great site. I actually started to well up looking at the pictures of the resort. A lot of the pictures, I could visually place my family in them, as we have those same pictures at my mom's house.

I remember Bonfamille's fondly. I remember having a PB & J pancakes for dinner. They were amazing, and I have never been able to get them again .

Thanks for the walk down memory lane. My husband and I are planning an anniversary trip in 2010, and this podcast has made me decide on staying in POFQ for the trip.
    Traveling to WDW with kids? Visit me at www.strollingtheparks.blogspot.com

bigbrian-nc.com is offline WDW: A History In Postcards
    Ditto mickeysgals comments on being behind on podcast listening since returning from WDW!

Luckily, this is one that is not so tme sensitive, and a great introduction to andres fantastic site for anyone who either hasn't been there or a great reminder/reintroduction for those of us who hadn't been over there recently.

I LOVED it! thanks both of you!

Walt Disney World: A History in Postcards

MouseTunesMissy is offline A-Ticket holder
    Oh man, this podcast episode (I am behind in listening) brought be back to when my hubby, then we were just dating, used to stay over at Dixie Landings. We loved eating over at Bonfamille. The cajun skilled egg breakfasts were to die for! We'd walk over from the mansions at the Landings to French Quarter.

Loved your site, Andre. Loved the walk down memory lane. If I have any old pictures of the place, I might send them along. Might not have any electronically. We went long before we had digital cameras.

Loved the conversation guys. As usual, another excellent interview/round table discussion.
    Next trip, October 26, 2008! Woo hoo!

WoL Fan is offline A-Ticket holder
    Thanks for this podcast and it was very well timed for me. I'm definitely planning a trip to the World in October so I can celebrate my birthday there & I was trying to decide where to stay. I had planned to split my trip between a value and a deluxe, but had been thinking about compromising on a moderate (especially so my brother & I didn't have to change hotels in the middle of a trip).

This 'cast was a great intro to Port Orleans which I had just been thinking about finding more about. I think we may just book for French Quarter now.

and the site's great too. The terrific pictures make me even more interested in booking.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast