Your Walt Disney World Information Station
The WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast Discuss WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast #99 - Dec. 28, 2008 in the The WDW Radio Show forums; Hello and welcome to The WDW Radio Show - Your Walt Disney World Information Station . I am your host, Lou Mongello and this is show #99 for the week ...
    Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - WDW Trivia Book Author and Site Owner/Admin

WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast #99 - Dec. 28, 2008

Hello and welcome to The WDW Radio Show - Your Walt Disney World Information Station. I am your host, Lou Mongello and this is show #99 for the week of December 28, 2008 - The last show of 2008, and the last show in double digits. Thanks for joining me again this week.

Iíll start off the show with Walt Disney World News, and kick it off with a sneak peek at Disneyís new web site, a new store that just opened in the Magic Kingdom, of course some news about food, including a new dining location coming to Frontierland as well as important updates to dining reservations, and more.

January 8-11 marks the 26th annual Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend, where 40,000 runners will test their endurance during a number of races throughout the weekend, including a half and full marathon. But in addition to the athletes, there is expected to be an additional 40,000 people converging on the Walt Disney World Resort to cheer on family, friends, and even complete strangers. And while Iíve done shows on training and preparing for the marathon, as well as a recap from a participantís perspective, there has been little in the way of tips and strategies for spectators. This week, Iím joined by running and cheering veteran Bill Muldowney to discuss the best ways to get the most out of the experience if you will be going down to cheer, including the best ways to get around, where you should be and when, and how to be sure you not only see your runners, but they get to see you as well.

In a new Best of the Best segment, weíll take a look at the Best Affordable Souvenir, and arguably the most Affordable Collectible in Walt Disney World. Disney dad Chuck Lionberger joins me to talk about searching for and collecting Pressed Pennies in and out of the parks. Itís an inexpensive, fun thing to do with everyone in the family, and weíll give you different ways to find, collect, display and enjoy these wonderful little souvenirs.

Iíll announce the winner of last weekís trivia contest, and Iíll have another contest that looks back at 2008 for you, where you can play to win another prize package.

Iíll play some more of your voicemails at the end of the show, so sit back, relax, and enjoy this week's episode of the WDW Radio Show.

Visit our web site at WDWRadio.com

Email the show at Call our voicemail TOLL FREE at 888-703-2171
    If you like the show, please let others know by reviewing it on iTunes
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

Great show!! I'm getting more and more excited about the marathon!! I can't wait to see you on Main Street!

http://wewantstheredhead.blogspot.com

clion is offline Fastpass Holder
    Thanks again for the chance to talk with you about another of the Best of the Best of WDW!
    "When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are.
    Anything your heart desires will come to you ..."

Author of the DisneyDaddy blog | Writer for Celebrations Magazine
    D23 Charter Member | Annual Passholder | Named Disney's Biggest Fan (by Disney and United Vacations)

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    The discussion on penny pressing got me wondering what happened to my one and only pressed penny. It took me over an hour to find it, and at one point I was beginning to wonder if I'd tossed it out in one of my wild clean-out moods while packing out last May. I did finally unearth it in my "craft" supply box. For lack of anything else to do with it, I had made it into a button cover. Since that fad has long since gone by the wayside, you now know how long ago I pressed that penny. I'd never paid that much attention to all the various penny presses I'd seen on property. I had no idea there were so many designs. Time to pull together my pennies and quarters. I think pressed pennies will make great gifts to give to friends and family who come to visit me.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

bamfer23 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Took me a few days to finally get a chance to listen to the show, but once I did, it was awesome, as per usual!
    I never really gave a second thought to the Penny collecting...i might have to take a look at it when I go in March!

kiddoc is offline A-Ticket holder

Marathon tracking

I am a show listener, but new to the forum! Just wanted to give everyone a little tip on marathon runner tracking, as we have used it at WDW and Disneyland in 2008. The tracking will NOT allow you to pinpoint where your runner is on the course at any time. It will only give you notifications as your runner passes the 5K, 10K, and 15K split points and the finish line. The tracking is via the championchips that the runners wear and theses are the only places where receivers are for the sensors. This is the tracking available through disneyworldsports.com -- Lou may know of some other tracking site!
    As a participant in the 2008 WDW and DL 1/2 Marathons, I fully agree with Lou that the more people on the course to cheer you on, the better!
    Thanks for the show, Lou! My whole family loves it!

MrCottonsParrot is offline B-Ticket Holder

Penny cleaning

What was the solution used to clean copper pennies? And what was the date info on what pennies are better than others (mint years that is)?

wdwmike1988 is offline A-Ticket holder
    Definitely going to take the advice and start collecting the pennies. These are a great keep-sake and a great collectible for any Disney Geek

MrCottonsParrot is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Found the penny info!

Pre-1982 pennies are best, and pennycollector.com outlines how to clean them.

I spent half an hour last night cleaning 50 or so pennies all dipped in ketchup!!

clion is offline Fastpass Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by MrCottonsParrot View Post
    Found the penny info!

Pre-1982 pennies are best, and pennycollector.com outlines how to clean them.

I spent half an hour last night cleaning 50 or so pennies all dipped in ketchup!!
    I'm glad you liked the segment!!!

Here are my tips about pressed pennies.
    Part one:
    Disney Daddy: Tip Tuesday: Pressed Pennies

Part two:
    Disney Daddy: Tip Tuesday: Pressed Pennies (part 2)
    "When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are.
    Anything your heart desires will come to you ..."

Author of the DisneyDaddy blog | Writer for Celebrations Magazine
    D23 Charter Member | Annual Passholder | Named Disney's Biggest Fan (by Disney and United Vacations)

KevinZ is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Really liked the penny segment. I've seen these machines all ever and never had an interest. Now I'm gonna have to try them next. Thanks!
    Kevin

WDWRadio Cruise : Deck 8 is great!
    "Almost there!"
    "Keep moving forward!"

Spyne is offline Fastpass Holder
    Great show this week, Lou! Your discussion on spectator strategies for the Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend with Bill Muldowney was interesting, and something I hadn't really thought about before. It's definitely a good thing to keep in mind if you're down there for the Marathon weekend. Your Best of the Best segment on the pressed pennies with Chuck Lionberger I really enjoyed, because that's one of those small things that can be easily overlooked. I've always found the pressed pennies really interesting, and it's great to hear another perspective on it. Congratulations to the contest winner as well!

Well; this is the show right before some big events. Obviously there's the dawn of a new year, but also that your 100th show is just about here. I wish you and your family a very Happy New Year, and that I'm really excited about the 100th show and the next 100 shows beyond that. I'm excited for it Lou, and keep up the great work!
    Keep it cool, and keep moving forward!

Trips to Walt Disney World

1995: Port Orleans French Quarter - 2000: All-Star Music
    2008: Caribbean Beach - 2009: Pop Century
    NEXT TRIP: Sep/Oct 2011 - WDW's 40th Anniversary!

laurenjdaisy is offline A-Ticket holder

Re: WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast #99 - Dec. 28, 2008

This episode still lives on! I was talking to a friend the other day about my next trip in December and I mentioned how I wanted to press pennies this time. He refered me back to this episode that I missed (starting listening around episode 110) and I'm so glad that he did!! What a wonderful and timeless episode. I'm so motivated by both segments of this episode I might run around the world pressing pennies as I go

Whenever I'm in the world, I think about pressing pennies half way into the trip and then think it's too late to get a good collection going. This time I'm going armed with the advice and tips from this podcast with my cleaned pre 1982 pennies and quarters stacked in M&M mini containers. Thank you, Lou and all the other contributors to the WDW Radio Show, for all that you do!
    Lauren