Your Walt Disney World Information Station
The WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast Discuss Disney's mainland China park moving forward in the The WDW Radio Show forums; Disney's mainland China park moving forward Orlando Sentinel January 10, 2009 Walt Disney Co. and the Shanghai municipal government have signed a project proposal that lays out the broad legal ...
    rnorell is offline A-Ticket holder

Thumbs up Disney's mainland China park moving forward

Disney's mainland China park moving forward
    Orlando Sentinel
    January 10, 2009

Walt Disney Co. and the Shanghai municipal government have signed a project proposal that lays out the broad legal and financial framework under which the entertainment giant could build its first mainland China theme park, which a source said could open as early as 2014. Under the proposal signed this week, Disney would take a 43 percent stake in Shanghai Disneyland, while a joint-venture holding company owned by the local government would own 57 percent, a person familiar with the terms told The Wall Street Journal. The first phase would include a theme park, a hotel and a shopping development at a cost of up to $3.59 billion, built over six years. However, before the project can go forward it must receive high-level approval from the central government in Beijing, which could take as much as a year, according to people involved in the plans. Disney already has one Chinese theme park, Hong Kong Disneyland.

(from orlandosentinel.com)

FYI!
    Robin
    Orlando
    :-)

monica31671 is offline A-Ticket holder
    Thanks, Robin!

My dad asked me yesterday if I knew China was getting a Disneyland. I didn't know. Now I can tell him he was right.

Disney2000 is offline Fastpass Holder
    I'd like to see some improvements on HKDL and the other theme parks before they make a new one.... wouldn't you?
    The Golden age never was the present age… but with human liberty we can fulfill the promise and meaning of America. To everyone a chance. To all people, regardless of their birth the right to live, to work, to be themselves, and to become whatever their visions can combine to make them. This is the promise of America...And I foresee the American adventure to continue for a long, long time!
    ~The American Adventure, EPCOT Center

Are you 23? I am!

MagicMom is offline C-Ticket Holder
    I was in China in Nov of 2003 and 2007. On the way to one of the sections of the Great Wall just north of Beijing is an abandoned theme park construction site. It was halfway built and looks just like a theme park we have visited once or twice. The guides tell you that this is the site of a Disney park, which CLEARLY it is not. In 2003 I thought it was just getting started. When we went past again in 2007 I was waiting to see a fully operational park but it was exactly the same. It looked like a Scooby Doo episode could have happened there.

Apparently there was a company that started building this rip-off park but they stopped building in the early 90s and just abandoned the site. The "castle" in the middle of the park was almost completed but there is wasteland around the it. I called Disney about it since 2003. No one there knows about it so they must not be involved, plus they would never disclose any legal information, for instance, if they sued and made the copycat builders shut down the site. More than likely the builders ran out of money and walked.

Now that China is going to have 2 wonderful parks I can't help but be reminded of the ghost town construction site. I was just wondering if anyone ever heard about this or saw it. Sadly, it was raining on my first visit and dusk on my second so I have no photos to show. Maybe Disney will buy that site too!