Your Walt Disney World Information Station
The WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast Discuss WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast #101 - Jan. 11, 2009 in the The WDW Radio Show forums; Hello and welcome to The WDW Radio Show - Your Walt Disney World Information Station. I am your host, Lou Mongello and this is show #101 for the week of ...
    wdwradio123 is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast #101 - Jan. 11, 2009

Hello and welcome to The WDW Radio Show - Your Walt Disney World Information Station. I am your host, Lou Mongello and this is show #101 for the week of January 11, 2009

I知 recording this week痴 show early, as I値l be visiting Walt Disney World later in the week to cover the marathon and other events, so there won稚 be any news this week, but I do have a segment I think you値l enjoy.

I値l fire up the Wayback Machine as I continue in my EPCOT Retrospective series and take an in-depth (pardon the pun) look at the Living Seas. Ryan Wilson joins me once again as we dive under the sea and look at the history of this pavilion, its changes before and after its opening, and its many wonderful details and hidden treasures.

I値l have a new contest this week before playing some of your voicemails at the end of the show, so sit back, relax, and enjoy this week's episode of the WDW Radio Show.

Disney05 is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    I almost forgot about some of the old Living Seas attractions. Thanks for that.
    Did you mean the answers to your new contest should be emailed by Saturday January 17th?
    Last edited by Disney05; 01-11-2009 at 06:51 PM.
    When you wish upon a star.....
    LAUGHTER IS TIMELESS, IMAGINATION HAS NO AGE AND DREAMS ARE FOREVER.
    Adults are only kids grown up, anyway. WD
    ...That's the real trouble with the world. Too many people grow up. WD
    "For those who get it, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation will do."

http://wdwhomesick.wordpress.com/

Disney2000 is offline Fastpass Holder
    awesome new show, I really enjoyed it, and now i know what I was missing when I skipped that movie (Bad Idea!!), under an Hour???? never thought I'd see that day again. haha! This is one of my favorite episodes, and thanks for all you do every single week
    The Golden age never was the present age but with human liberty we can fulfill the promise and meaning of America. To everyone a chance. To all people, regardless of their birth the right to live, to work, to be themselves, and to become whatever their visions can combine to make them. This is the promise of America...And I foresee the American adventure to continue for a long, long time!
    ~The American Adventure, EPCOT Center

Are you 23? I am!

KevinFSU is offline A-Ticket holder
    I do miss the hydralators and the whole "ur descending to Sea Base Alpha", however, I think they have done a nice job with taking you underwater on Nemo and friends. You start out on the beach and wade deeper until you are well underwater and under the dock/pier. It is weird, pre-Nemo, that they just decided to wall off the seacabs, even though nothing was wrong with them.

KINGCRAB is offline Annual Passholder
    Hey, Lou. When are you going to have Jeff Pepper rejoin you for your DSI's and Wayback Machines?

And when are you going to read listener e-mails on your show again? I'm still waiting for you to reply to my last major e-mail to you.
    "Boy, I'm tired. I think I'll head over to The Hall of Presidents and take a nap."

bamfer23 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Havent logged onto iTunes in a few days, didnt even realize this was there! Downloading it now!

Joker67 is offline A-Ticket holder
    Hey, Lou!
    Great show! I miss Seabase Alpha, too! Do you remember the Seabase Alpha logo? It had a diver and dolhin, side by side, in a horizontal descent. It used to be on many areas of the pavilion. I always wanted a patch of it for a jacket. If you could find one of those............... Keep up the great work!

Great show! Ryan did an amazing job.

dsnyqwn1 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Great show! The Living Seas was my favorite pavilion when I was younger. I was sad when we went in 2004 how much it had changed and like you mentioned that the whole going under water experience was forgot. I thought the "ride" down in the hydrolators was very well themed. Keep up the great work Lou!

cavaliers60 is offline A-Ticket holder
    excellent show, Lou. I've listened to it 4 times now. It's one of my favorite buildings, but I've never been to the original. My first time there, they were finishing up the Nemo revision.

Fun2BFree is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Ah, Seabase Alpha.

Thank you, Lou.

When people lament the loss of certain attractions at Epcot, usually Horizons comes up. Maybe World of Motion. The change of the Living Seas to the current rendition is one of the many that makes me long for 1988. (Don't get me started on Kitchen Kabaret...)

The "TRON" thing you noted was something that directly linked you to the Seabase Alpha "story". What really used to get we was the TRON like image morphing into the true image of SeaBase Alpha... and then the doors open. It really sold the belief that you were on your way down to the depths! I knew the hydrolators went nowhere, but that end to the preshow got me every time.

Oh yeah. About the queue. Loved it. One thing you didn't mention was that the room floor was not level. It had some kind of a dip and incline to it - like it was a wave or a sea floor. Something natural.

Keep that EPCOT Center wayback machine running. It's all we got left.

Disney2000 is offline Fastpass Holder
    And now that I've seen the preshow movie videos, I see why my mom decided to skip it. I would have been on the floor, holding my ears, and crying. Lol I can just see that on my first trip to disney World. Wow.....
    The Golden age never was the present age but with human liberty we can fulfill the promise and meaning of America. To everyone a chance. To all people, regardless of their birth the right to live, to work, to be themselves, and to become whatever their visions can combine to make them. This is the promise of America...And I foresee the American adventure to continue for a long, long time!
    ~The American Adventure, EPCOT Center

Are you 23? I am!

Spyne is offline Fastpass Holder
    Great show this week Lou! Your Wayback Machine/EPCOT Retrospective on The Living Seas with Ryan Wilson was actually very interesting. I honestly don't remember too much of the original The Living Seas, and current memory is only of The Seas with Nemo & Friends. But it did help me realize how great it really was, and it only makes me appreciate the pavilion more. Great job Lou, keep it up!
    Keep it cool, and keep moving forward!

Trips to Walt Disney World

1995: Port Orleans French Quarter - 2000: All-Star Music
    2008: Caribbean Beach - 2009: Pop Century
    NEXT TRIP: Sep/Oct 2011 - WDW's 40th Anniversary!