Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
The WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast Discuss If you could add one nation to World Showcase, what would it be? in the The WDW Radio Show forums; On this week's WDW Radio Show Disney podcast , we discussed the World Showcase That Never Was, and many pavilions that almost made it to the promenade. What if YOU ...
    Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - Disney Expert, Host, Author, Speaker and Entrepreneur

If you could add one nation to World Showcase, what would it be?

On this week's WDW Radio Show Disney podcast, we discussed the World Showcase That Never Was, and many pavilions that almost made it to the promenade.

What if YOU were in charge?

What pavilion (region) would you add to World Showcase and why? What would it consist of?

Me? As I said on the show, Egypt would be easily my first choice. Think of the pyramids, the Sphinx at the entrance. You could have a walk or ride-through attraction as you explore the depths of the pyramids, a Nile river ride, a Cairo outdoor marketplace... the possibilities are endless.

Why? Egypt has such an incredibly long and rich history, dating back thousands of years. It is a culture rich in tradition and heritage, as well as much mystery to many of us who may never have occasion to visit it. There has always been a fascination with the construction of the pyramids, the mysteries of the Sphinx, as well as the kings, their elaborate tombs, and those that have gone exploring for them through the centuries.

And we haven't even talked about the food yet!
    Last edited by Lou Mongello; 02-09-2009 at 11:04 AM.
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

Tikiman is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Ha... funny I said Egypt on your Facebook than I saw this. I think it would be awesome if they had the room to do it right.

Great minds think alike.

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    I'm not sure. I haven't listened so I don't know what has already been discussed.

There are many European countries that could be added, but let's face it...Europe has plenty of representation in the World Showcase.

Egypt is a good choice and would be the second African pavilion. I agree with your reasons Lou.

Although I find Australia fascinating, is it and New Zealand that culturally different from the three English speaking pavilions already there compared to other potential countries that could be placed in the World Showcase?

Asia has got two countries with China and Japan, with me loving the Japanese pavilion.

South America is not represented at all. The closest we have is Mexico in Southern North American. Brazil (i know...tour groups...flags..i know) may be something to consider, they are known for their Mardi Gras in Rio for one thing. Or even Argentina (ok, you got me..I'm a fan of Evita)or even Peru (Machu Picchu). I find that the average American really doesn't know much about South America. Plus, Hispanic cultures are just as varied as the various English speaking cultures.
    Last edited by MandaBella; 02-09-2009 at 11:18 AM.
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

pollioni is offline A-Ticket holder
    I would love to see Russia, with all the food and cultural differences it would prove to be a very educational experience. My second choice would be Argentina as again a very little talked about country.

vowell1055 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Russia. No question. After that, I'd say Korea, but I have to admit, that's primarily for a bulgogi restaurant.

vowell1055 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    I do admit Egypt has a lot of obvious material for rides, exhibits, restaurants, etc.

jonsimon is offline A-Ticket holder
    I find India to be a very facinating place. It has so many varied cultures. There could be more than one restaurant to cover the many cuisines.

Their culture is vibrant, I doubt there would be any difficulty filling a pavillion.

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder
    I would like to see Argentina with an attraction that highlights their capital city and jungles. It could be a 360 theater or a moving ride past "scenes". The restaurant should feature their tremendous beef dishes.

eeyoregirl13 is offline Fastpass Holder
    I vote India! India and China are pretty much taking over the world in terms of population and businesses, so I thiink it should be represented in World Showcase. Also they have great food!

I love the idea of Egypt, Russia, and somewhere in South America too!
    Last edited by eeyoregirl13; 02-09-2009 at 12:19 PM.

LouDisney is offline A-Ticket holder
    I'm going to agree with a few on here and say India.
    Egypt is not a bad choice either.

StarsNStripes is offline 40th was amazing!
    I'm into Egypt or Australia
    I'm about as All-American as they come!
    *Natalie*
    Must get a new trip on the books! I'm dyin' here!

Rico117 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    i think that argentina is my first choice, after visiting this summer it is one of my favorite countries. i love the food, the combination of italian and the south american beef and chorizo dishes would be awesome. The fun they could have with an attraction would be great. My second is egypt and with enough room it would be amazingly cool to esperience the pyramids and such with disney...

thokecin is offline And really bad eggs...
    Egypt sounds good or maybe Greece or Peru.
    "When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do."

–Walt Disney

8 trips and counting!!!

clion is offline Fastpass Holder
    A Russia pavilion would be visually stunning. And would offer a very different type of cuisine than currently available in WS (and no, Russian food isn't all about Borscht).

An Egypt pavilion also would be visually incredible and I like the idea of another enclosed pavilion.

I still like the idea of an Arabian pavilion (and maybe that's what you call it -- Arabian so as not to single out any specific country since it's so political right now). Cobble together the best that the entire Middle East has to offer and make it a regional pavilion.
    "When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are.
    Anything your heart desires will come to you ..."

Author of the DisneyDaddy blog | Writer for Celebrations Magazine
    D23 Charter Member | Annual Passholder | Named Disney's Biggest Fan (by Disney and United Vacations)

CaptainFiz13 is offline A-Ticket holder
    Winfield, IL (about 35 min west of Chicago)
    Disclaimer: I haven't heard this weeks podcast yet either so apologies if I'm just echoing others' sentiments.

I was going to say Egypt and Australia as well. But my other choice is Greece.

That could just be a beautiful pavillion, and something different. Plus . . . Lou . . . food! Hellooo nurse!!!

Gyros, saganaki, baklava, Greek chicken and potatoes . . . and those are just the obvious ones. Now picture eating all that under a the Parthenon, watching Illuminations.

Ok, now my mouth is watering. I gotta go to lunch.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast