Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
The WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast Discuss WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast #106 - Feb. 15, 2009 in the The WDW Radio Show forums; Hello and welcome to The WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast - Your Walt Disney World Information Station. This is show #106 for the week of February 15, 2009, and as ...
    Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - Disney Expert, Host, Author, Speaker and Entrepreneur

WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast #106 - Feb. 15, 2009

Hello and welcome to The WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast - Your Walt Disney World Information Station. This is show #106 for the week of February 15, 2009, and as always, I am your host, Lou Mongello.

We’ll start off this week’s show by looking at another of Walt Disney World’s Best of the Bests. And this time, it’s about one of the best ways to enjoy and relive your vacation even after you’ve returned home. Chuck Lionberger joins me to talk about Disney’s Photopass, and one of the very best ways to get the most out of it.

I’ll answer more of your emails this week from the WDW Radio Inbox with the help of Beci Mahnken. In addition to vacation planning advice and tips, we’ll answer questions about Disney’s Magical Express, military discounts, vegetarian options, strollers and of course, questions about dining.

Stay tuned to the end of the show for some announcements before I play back some of your voicemails, so sit back, relax, and enjoy this week's episode of the WDW Radio Show.

You can email the show at lou [a t] wdwradio.com or call the voicemail TOLL FREE at 888-703-2171.

Thanks for listening! Be sure to tune in next week!
    This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

kretzcr is offline A-Ticket holder
    Good show but you did sound a little bit like an infomerical for Disney Photopass in the begining. I love that you love Disney, but you know as much as I do, that they gouge us tourists. $100 for a CD of pictures, com'on, that's steep. I'm as much a Disney fan as the next guy who listens to your show, but there is a difference between the imagineering and art of Disney, and corporate Disney. Just be critical of Disney when it's due and not try to sugar coat it. I love your show, and listen religiously, but I'm gonna let you know when I don't like something. Do the same with podcast.

Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - Disney Expert, Host, Author, Speaker and Entrepreneur
    kretzcr,

Thank you for the honest feedback and candid opinion. I can tell you that the intent of the piece was not to sound like a commercial in any way, and in fact the person who came to me with the segment idea is also not from the Disney company in any way.

As to the content itself and the value, I can only speak for myself that at $99, there is a great deal of value for me. Because of severe time restrictions, lack of savvy at being able to "dress up" photos, create a digital scrapbook, organize them, or even take a halfway decent picture, there is a a true value added benefit for me to purchase the CD and/or the photobook.

That being said, it might not be for everyone. You can certainly take photos with your own camera, and have people take photos for you. For me personally, that never seems to work. My photos are not the best quality, never include me in it, and remain on my camera or in some random photo on my computer literally for months or years before I can ever even look at them, let alone organize, share or reproduce them.

But again, I do appreciate and value your opinion. I must say that we differ in thinking that "they gouge us tourists." I've said it before - I have never walked out of a Disney park or resort and felt as though I didn't get my money's worth. In fact, I had experiences on my most recent trip with my family that I would have happily paid twice what I did for the memories that Disney helped create. Not asking anyone else to feel that way, but it's how I do when I leave and look back on my experiences.

Just out of curiosity, let me ask you this - is it the CD itself that you take issue with, or the cost of it? What do you think would be a more reasonable amount to pay for this (these) CDs? If the price was closer to what you think would you purchase them or recommend them to others? Do you find value in the Disney borders and characters images added to them?

Thanks again for listening and for the constructive criticism.
    Lou Mongello

eeyoregirl13 is offline Fastpass Holder
    I didn't realize the CD's were only $99! I think that is a good deal actually. I ordered a few single pictures from photopass, and ended up paying about $50. I really should have just paid $50 more to get the CD with all ownership of all the photos. Next time I guess...Anyway, though $99 is a lot to pay for photos that cost basically nothing to print out, I do find it to be an invaluable service too. Mostly for the fact that I can never get shots of my whole group together. Someone is always missing from the pics, and it gets really annoying to have to bother people and ask them to take photos of the group all the time. I wish I had a photographer like this on all my vacations! ;-)
    Eeyoregirl13

MJMcb is offline Fastpass Holder
    the photo album is great. You can download your own pics. I have done this my last couple of trips
    WWW.JAMBOEVERYONE.COM

Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

nosbig is offline A-Ticket holder
    Let's not forget that these photos are being taken on a professional grade camera by, in theory, a professional photographer. What would a full-time professional photographer who follows you around for an entire trip cost? I suspect much more than $100... I see a lot of value in a CD set with every picture taken, even without the enhancements.

One question for you, Lou... What does Disney do to deal with the "professional photographer" duplication problems in stores? Many stores with photo labs will refuse to reprint photos which have been taken by a professional photographer, to limit their exposure to liability for copyright infringement.

jgary9891 is offline A-Ticket holder
    I don't know if you mentioned it on your show but you can always ask the cast member taking the picture to take a picture with your camera too, as long as you take a picture with their camera too. That way if your picture didn't turn out you can buy the picture.

Stitch's buddy is offline Hakuna Matata
    Quote Originally Posted by nosbig View Post
    Let's not forget that these photos are being taken on a professional grade camera by, in theory, a professional photographer. What would a full-time professional photographer who follows you around for an entire trip cost? I suspect much more than $100... I see a lot of value in a CD set with every picture taken, even without the enhancements.

One question for you, Lou... What does Disney do to deal with the "professional photographer" duplication problems in stores? Many stores with photo labs will refuse to reprint photos which have been taken by a professional photographer, to limit their exposure to liability for copyright infringement.

I was wondering that also. Do you mention Disney gave the copyrights because you bought them in a sense or does the CD mention something about that?

Can't wait for the new episode!

I FINISHED my first ever race, ToT 13Kand running it again in '09

** Please, Please excuse my grammatical and spelling errors. Correct me if I'm wrong.**

According to Disney's PhotoPass web site:

Disney's PhotoCD Includes: Copyright release so you can print the images in the sizes and formats you want (for personal use only).

Disney's PhotoCD Pre-Arrival Savings Offer
    Lou Mongello

Robuclafan is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Here is a copy of the photo release. It is included on every cd.

We have bought 3 cd over the years. We have never had a problem getting prints from the cd.

Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images  

T Morrows Child is offline C-Ticket Holder
    The $99 CD price is a "sticker shock" item. The initial shock fades pretty quickly if the service has some value to you. If you can set a strategy of "yield management" and commit to having a picture taken EVERY time you see a Photopass photographer it can be good.

(On a side note, I think of the $50+ they charge for school picture packages these days . . . and with those, you DON'T get the full rights to print and re-print on your own.)

On our January trip last year, we forgot our cameras at home, not realizing it until we got to the airport (an hour away from home). We bought a couple box cameras, but the results of those pictures were not very good. The Photopass program was a lifesaver, especially since we were celebrating birthdays at the parks.
    Have you seen my dad? Would you page him for me?

Next Family trip = April 16 - April 23, 2011, staying in an All Star Vacation Home!

clion is offline Fastpass Holder
    Here's an extra tip Lou and I didn't get to in the segment.

If you get photos from character meals like Cinderella's Royal Table, Chef Mickey's, Ohana, Tusker House, and Akershus, you can add those to your photopass account to get the digital versions of those prints.

Simply take the main photo out of the cover and you will see a code in the corner - it's a photopass code and works just like a regular card. Add that code and presto, your photos from that meal are now on your photopass account. Now you can add any enhancements you wish.

As for the "infomercial" post earlier in this thread - I echo Lou's response. We didn't intend to sound like we were hocking the CD. However there is an impression in the Disney community that photopass in general is a waste and I, for one, couldn't disagree more. We get the photo CD for every trip and it is worth every penny, especially since it's one more way to take some of the pressure out of each trip -- no worrying about if your picture comes out or if someone else takes a bad shot (which has happened to me quite a few times when I ask others to take a shot with my camera).
    Last edited by clion; 02-22-2009 at 06:43 PM. Reason: fix typos
    "When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are.
    Anything your heart desires will come to you ..."

Author of the DisneyDaddy blog | Writer for Celebrations Magazine
    D23 Charter Member | Annual Passholder | Named Disney's Biggest Fan (by Disney and United Vacations)

BandontheRun is offline A-Ticket holder
    I never purchased the Photopass photos as I always thought they were way overpriced and I would usually only have about 4-10 photopass photos anyway, so we'd have our own cameras and be happy with what pictures we had taken.

After listening to the podcast, I have a renewed approach as $100 for unlimited photos is really a small price considering all the money you are laying out for a WDW vacation.
    I also echo the sentiment that we rarely get photos with all of us in them.

For my next trip, I am going to pre-purchase both the CD and the book and FILL UP on Photopass as much as we possibly can.. I know that years from now, I won't miss the $100-$150, but those photo memories will be awesome.

Thanks Lou and Tim!

The idea and service that the Photopass system provides is great, I just think Disney can offer the service at a lower price and still make a sizeable profit. The system for recording and cataloging pictures is not that advanced and the biggest cost for Disney is probably paying the non-professional photographer. I would be ok with paying $50, but I think it would be a deal at $40. I'm sure Disney would still make plenty of money, maybe even more so because more people would probably buy the CD's and extras.

Also Lou, I didn't mean to rude, in my first post. All I ask is that when you bring up these things like the Disney Vacation Club and Photopass system, be a little more critical about it. List the negatives too or how Disney could improve on something. Deep down, you have to agree, although you are willing to pay the $100 for the Photopass service or the $75+ for a ticket because of the memories you create, you would be far happier paying a little less. With lower prices, more people could afford that taste of the Disney magic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast