Your Walt Disney World Information Station
The WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast Discuss WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast #107 - Feb. 22, 2009 in the The WDW Radio Show forums; Hello and welcome to The WDW Radio Show - Your Walt Disney World Information Station . I am your host, Lou Mongello and this is show #107 for the week ...
    Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - Disney Expert, Host, Author, Speaker and Entrepreneur

WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast #107 - Feb. 22, 2009

Hello and welcome to The WDW Radio Show - Your Walt Disney World Information Station. I am your host, Lou Mongello and this is show #107 for the week of February 22, 2009.

I’ll kick off this week’s show with some news from Walt Disney World, including a new attraction coming to Innoventions, information about ESPN – The Weekend, changes to Disney’s Magical Express service and a new restaurant opening soon.

Now is the time, now is the best time for another Top 10 segment, and this week, “if something can't be done with X-S, then it shouldn't be done at all,” so Tim Foster and I will take a look at our Top 10 Things We Love About Tomorrowland. So here’s to the future and you!

Last week marked the official grand opening of the American Idol Experience at Disney’s Hollywood Studios, but not before a star-studded world premiere event the night before. I had a chance to visit the blue carpet and meet and speak with many of the celebrities on hand, before viewing the very special show and concert. Glenn Whelan joins me to discuss the event, the attraction and what it means to the parks and its Guests.

I’ll announce the winner of our last Walt Disney World Trivia Contest, as well as present yet another series of questions to challenge you this week. Get them all right and you’ll have the chance to win a prize package and a bonus prize as well.

Stay tuned to the end of the show for some announcements including the date for our next Meet of the Month in Walt Disney World before I play back some of your voicemails, so sit back, relax, and enjoy this week's episode of the WDW Radio Show.

You can email the show at lou@wdwradio.com or call the voicemail TOLL FREE at 888-703-2171.

Visit the web site at wdwradio.com

Thanks for listening! Be sure to tune in next week!
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

Red Helicopter is offline C-Ticket Holder

Shuttle Launch viewing in Epcot

Another great podcast, Lou!

Re: watching the shuttle go up. Like Glen said, if you're outside and it's not cloudy/overcast, you should be able to see it... provided you have a clear view of the sky to the east, or just slightly north of due east.

Another great place to watch it go up is in Epcot, on the bridge between the United Kingdom and France pavilions. You will want to face East... essentially looking across the lake. The shuttle will appear near the Mexico pavilion.

Some advice... take a personal radio with you. Some local AM stations switch over to the countdown because they know people will be outside, watching for the shuttle. 580 WDBO is a large AM station in the Orlando area that will most likely carry launch updates and the countdown live.

This is important, not only so that you can hear the countdown, but also in case they scrub the launch (which happens often.) Nothing worse than standing there for half an hour after the scheduled launch time, then shrugging your shoulders and saying "I guess they didn't launch." Also, know that it takes several seconds (I would guess 20-30) for the shuttle to gain enough altitude for you to be able to see it.

Have fun!
    Jon Grant aka The Red Helicopter
    The Red Helicopter
    . . . Always hangin' out around Epcot!

TiggerRPh is offline E-Ticket Holder
    Another great show Lou.

While it was great to hear about your experiences on the "blue carpet", I just can't get excited about this attraction. I don't watch the show and have little interest in seeing strangers in a singing competition.

Maybe you and I just hang out with different Disney people, but I just don't know too many people that are excited in the least about this attraction. I'm going to have to disagree with you on the longevity of this show. First of all...there has never been a Studios attraction that has been a TV Show based attraction that has lasted more than a couple of years. Second, this attraction just doesn't appear to be that popular. There are a few people talking about it...put anticipation of the attraction is lackluster at best. I'd be surprised if it's around 2 years from now.

On a more positive note...your Tomorrowland segment with Tim was fun to listen to...thanks for doing it.
    Ray

DVC Member - Since 1995
    Old Key West

M-I-C-K-E-Y....I'm a Disney freak.

KINGCRAB is offline Annual Passholder
    Quote Originally Posted by TiggerRPh View Post
    Maybe you and I just hang out with different Disney people, but I just don't know too many people that are excited in the least about this attraction.
    That's right. You really are hanging out with the wrong crowd.

No wonder you're such a negative type...
    "Boy, I'm tired. I think I'll head over to The Hall of Presidents and take a nap."

Ooooooooooooo Glenn!! He knows so much.

http://wewantstheredhead.blogspot.com

BandontheRun is offline A-Ticket holder
    I can join the group of "not really excited about American Idol" - I mean, regardless of Disney, why would I want to observe a bunch of amateur wanna-be's sing during my vacation?
    At least the WWtBAM attraction was interactive and offered everyone a trivia challenge, but I don't think this attraction will last very long. I stopped watching the show after Rueben Stoddard and I really haven't cared for the rest of them... I am getting tired of "singers" who aren't artists as too many people have great voices but how many of them are the next "Beatles" - answer is very few - I can find good singers just about anywhere which is why there are so many starving singers/musicians.
    I think this attraction will be popular with teens and maybe college students but not much else.. I will spend my time at Toy Story Mania or One Man's Dream..

thegoz85 is offline D-Ticket Holder
    I think it may be a hard attraction to get excited about without actually seeing it (especially for non-fans of the show). I hear the energy levels are very high, and once you get in you may get caught up in the moment. There are a few attractions at WDW that I didn't think would appeal to me until I actually experienced them.
    "Every sunset leads to morning, with the promise of opportunity."
    ~Promise

Love Disney? Interested in technology? Read DisTECH! Click the logo to check it out:

Also find me on Facebook and Twitter!

mickeysgal is offline A-Ticket holder
    Another great show, Lou!

I'm glad that Disney has filled the Superstar building. I hate to see empty attraction buildings. I would have loved to see Superstar Television resurrected, maybe with current ABC/ESPN/Disney Channel shows. But something is better than nothing. I do have a couple concerns, though.

My first concern is the fact that Disney is known for it's great experiences, what happens when a guest is turned away in the pre audition or later stages and takes it to heart? How is guest relations going to handle an upset parent or auditioning guest? I'm not saying every guest will react badly, but I'm sure that's going to come up at sometime.

My second concern is the fact that AI (the show) can only last so much longer (maybe 2-3 more years). What will Disney do about it's final prize of a "Golden Ticket" once the show is off the air?

Otherwise, I'm excited to see the show, give it a shot. I would never have the nerve to get up there and sing myself. (Trust me, your ears will thank me!)
    Traveling to WDW with kids? Visit me at www.strollingtheparks.blogspot.com

eeyoregirl13 is offline Fastpass Holder
    I just got a chance to listen to this show - another great one! I loved the Tomorrowland Top 10 list. And I couldn't agree with you more - the Space Mountain refurb better keep the STAR TUNNEL MUSIC!! It is one of my favorite things as well!!!
    Eeyoregirl13

TronGuy1 is offline A-Ticket holder
    Another great show! I have been a long time listener so I thought I should start using the forum, but besides that I really loved the new top ten with Tim Tomorrow Land is always the 1st place I go to when I'm at the Magic Kingdom.

pigletfan is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Make sure to give The American Idol Experience a try. The show is really high energy and you just might find yourself clapping and dancing along! I have seen it twice now, and I will go again. My son tried out for the show, and although he didn't make it, I was proud of him for trying, and it was cool to see how the whole process works. The stage is awsome and the sound is incredible!

Indyjones45 is offline A-Ticket holder
    Another great show Lou! I love your Top 10 with Tims! I was wondering why you didnt have PUSH the talking trash can from Tommorowland in your top 10. I remember last time i was there and me and my brother were having a conversation with him. It was funny!
    "You are clear for launch!"

Spyne is offline Fastpass Holder

Re: WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast #107 - Feb. 22, 2009

Good show this week, Lou! Your new Top 10 with Tim Foster on the Top 10 Things We Love About Tomorrowland I couldn't agree with more. Tomorrowland I just always find so fascinating, and I'm definitely looking forward to what's in store for the future of it!

Your discussion with Glenn Whelan on attending the grand opening of The American Idol Experience definitely sounded exciting. I'm sure you were excited just to be there, I definitely got that vibe! Congratulations to the contest winner as well! Great show Lou, keep up the great work!
    Keep it cool, and keep moving forward!

Trips to Walt Disney World

1995: Port Orleans French Quarter - 2000: All-Star Music
    2008: Caribbean Beach - 2009: Pop Century
    NEXT TRIP: Sep/Oct 2011 - WDW's 40th Anniversary!