Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
The WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast Discuss WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast #110 - March 15, 2009 in the The WDW Radio Show forums; Hello my friends and welcome to The WDW Radio Show - Your Walt Disney World Information Station. This is show #110 for the week of March 15, 2009. I am ...
    Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - Disney Expert, Host, Author, Speaker and Entrepreneur

WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast #110 - March 15, 2009

Hello my friends and welcome to The WDW Radio Show - Your Walt Disney World Information Station. This is show #110 for the week of March 15, 2009. I am your host Lou Mongello, and I want to thank you for tuning in again this week.

This week was one that was filled with some exciting and important news coming from the Disney Company, so we’ll start of by taking a look at some of the notable events, including the naming of the two new ships of the Disney Cruise Line, enhanced environmental efforts Company-wide and in the parks, pirates that are breaking camp, and reports of a rat being spotted in one of Walt Disney World’s premier restaurants… much to the delight of Guests. We’ll take a quick visit to the Rumor Mill, and two possible changes and additions coming to dining and reservations.

But the biggest news coming out of the Disney Company this week was the big reveal of the “Are You 23?” campaign, as Disney announced D23, the all-new official community for Disney enthusiasts. With so much to cover and discuss about this important new club and all of its offerings and benefits, I gathered other members of the online community to discuss it in a roundtable format. Ryan Wilson and Chuck Lionberger join me as we take an in-depth look at the club, its elements, content, future and much more. I’ll preface our discussion by playing clips from the press conference held by Steven Clark, head of D23, Dave Smith of the Walt Disney Archives and Marty Sklar of Walt Disney Imagineering.

I’ll announce the winner and answers to last week’s Walt Disney World Trivia Contest, and test you with more questions and a bonus challenge with special prize as well.

Stay tuned to the end of the show for some more announcements as well as some of your wonderful voicemails, so sit back, relax, and enjoy this week's episode of the WDW Radio Show.
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

dan864 is offline A-Ticket holder

Re: WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast #110 - March 15, 2009

Thank you as always Lou For A Great Show

BWDave is offline A-Ticket holder

$75 for what? D23 is an insult to all of us loyal fans.
    Plenty of sizzle and NO steak. Save you money, check out the magazines at B&N and support the Free fan sites.

Dave

goingtowdw14 is offline A-Ticket holder

Thanks Lou for another wonderful show!! I am a proud first day D23 member (wouldn’t it be cool if they sent a “1st Day” pin!) I have always wondered why so many people on those “other” boards and podcasts profess to love Disney and then jump all over everything they do and complain about how much they charge for things!! Maybe they forget that this is a business and at the end of the day, they need to make a profit. As a share holder and business owner I expect them to do that. I am very glad to see that the merchandise has a more adult flair to it. I sure wish we could go to the Expo but our yearly trip to WDW is in September (the 15th to the 24th, just in case that is when the Monthly Meet is…hint hint)

Dana

Disney2000 is offline Fastpass Holder

I loved this week's show, and I really am excited for my membership "gifts" to arrive. I love the magazine, and feel that there was a "steak" and it wasn't an insult to me anyway. keep up the great work on the show lou!!!
    The Golden age never was the present age… but with human liberty we can fulfill the promise and meaning of America. To everyone a chance. To all people, regardless of their birth the right to live, to work, to be themselves, and to become whatever their visions can combine to make them. This is the promise of America...And I foresee the American adventure to continue for a long, long time!
    ~The American Adventure, EPCOT Center

Are you 23? I am!

MrCottonsParrot is offline B-Ticket Holder

Count me as a Disney fan "on the fence" about D23, although I'm leaning toward joining, if only for a year.

I picked up the inaugural issue last week and agree with the roundtable folks that it's a highly impressive magazine. But $75 ....

I'm not going to make it to Anaheim this year, so that carrot doesn't work for me.

I'm hoping they enhance the program as time goes by, with additional perks, etc. How about a discount on park tickets and merchandise??

harra is offline Fastpass Holder

Quote Originally Posted by goingtowdw14 View Post
    I sure wish we could go to the Expo but our yearly trip to WDW is in September (the 15th to the 24th, just in case that is when the Monthly Meet is…hint hint)
    Dana,

I would be willing to guess that the September monthly meet will be for Lou & MouseFan Travel's Adventurer's Club event
    Ray
    Head Grump
    Grumpy's Hollow

thegoz85 is offline D-Ticket Holder

I have absolutely no problem with the D23 membership. I really wish I had the money right now to join, but I'll pick up the magazine and ask for a membership on my birthday.

Honestly, though, these magazines are very nice. Add in everything else you'll gain access to, and $75 is not bad. That's only $6.25 per month. Last I saw, unlimited access to Pirates of the Caribbean Online was $10 per month, and that's pretty much all you get for the price.

I'm definitely looking forward to joining. I don't think D23 deserves the negative publicity it's getting.
    "Every sunset leads to morning, with the promise of opportunity."
    ~Promise

Love Disney? Interested in technology? Read DisTECH! Click the logo to check it out:

Also find me on Facebook and Twitter!

TiggerRPh is offline E-Ticket Holder

Another great show Lou....became a member of D23 on 3/11. Not a Day 1 member, but a member.

I loved the discussion.

Wow...you dug deep for the trivia quesitons....what the heck did you say on the bonus question?
    Ray

DVC Member - Since 1995
    Old Key West

M-I-C-K-E-Y....I'm a Disney freak.

Great show! I'm even more excited about D23 and the expo now!!

http://wewantstheredhead.blogspot.com

04CP_ Nolan is offline Dole Float + POTC= Good Day

I'm still kind of on the fence. I'm going to wait a little bit just to see what more they are going to roll out here soon. On Disney Shopping it says you'll still be a first year member up to the end of this year, so that's nice. I think what hurt my perception of it was the Expo and that side, a little more exclusive for those with the money for travel. If more comes out aside from the merchandise, I might be more inclined to join. That's just my two cents at this point.

Real quick, is there a link to the order page for the magazine at Barnes and Noble.com? I'm not able to locate the mag on their site.
    Last edited by 04CP_ Nolan; 03-17-2009 at 04:27 PM.

McDisney is offline A-Ticket holder

From all the information I had, only the current issue would be available online, and only at Disney Shopping. I ran through a couple of different searches on B&N and couldn't find it for you, but here is the link from Disney Shopping: D23 Disney ''twenty-three'' Magazine Premier Issue | DisneyShopping.com.
    ~Ryan
    Main Street Gazette

harra is offline Fastpass Holder

From my understanding the magazine will only be available at Barnes & Noble at their physical locations so you have to drive to one to buy it. I wasn't sure if when they said Disney Stores if they meant the ones in the mall were included or not
    Ray
    Head Grump
    Grumpy's Hollow

Stitch's buddy is offline Hakuna Matata

I want to join 23 but do I have to join before the next issue in order to receive all of them? If this post some where already I sorry.
    Last edited by Stitch's buddy; 03-17-2009 at 07:10 PM.

I FINISHED my first ever race, ToT 13Kand running it again in '09

** Please, Please excuse my grammatical and spelling errors. Correct me if I'm wrong.**

clion is offline Fastpass Holder

Quote Originally Posted by Stitch's buddy View Post
    I want to join 23 but do I have to join before the next issue in order to receive all of them? If this post some where already I sorry.
    That's a good question. I'm betting the answer is yes. I'm sure there will be a date when the "first" issue of the magazine for new signups will be #2, but I'm sure it hasn't happened yet.

During the news conference one of the Disney folks (Marty Sklar, maybe?) said back issues would be available on Disneyshopping.com.

Oh, and congrats on finishing the TOT 13K. I'm running the half-marathon in Jan (first long-distance run EVER) and I'm wondering if I'm totally nuts for signing up.
    "When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are.
    Anything your heart desires will come to you ..."

Author of the DisneyDaddy blog | Writer for Celebrations Magazine
    D23 Charter Member | Annual Passholder | Named Disney's Biggest Fan (by Disney and United Vacations)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast