Your Walt Disney World Information Station
The WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast Discuss WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast #116 - April 26, 2009 in the The WDW Radio Show forums; Hello my friends and welcome to The WDW Radio Show - Your Walt Disney World Information Station. I am your host, Lou Mongello and this is show #116 for the ...
    Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - WDW Trivia Book Author and Site Owner/Admin

WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast #116 - April 26, 2009

Hello my friends and welcome to The WDW Radio Show - Your Walt Disney World Information Station. I am your host, Lou Mongello and this is show #116 for the week of April 26, 2009. Thank you for tuning in once again.

With the 20th Anniversary of Disney’s Hollywood Studios coming up on May 1, I am planning a number of segments looking back on its history, trivia, changes and hidden treasures, and this week, we’re going to start at the very beginning. I am pleased to be joined at the Studios by Disney Legend and former Walt Disney World press agent Charlie Ridgway, who recounts what it was like planning for the opening of a park whose original concept changed dramatically, and showcased the glitz and glamour of a Hollywood that was both real and imaged. He tells us about planning for the opening ceremonies, the many celebrities that visited and worked at the park and so much more.

I’ll answer many of your listener emails and questions this week, including vacation planning and Walt Disney World history and trivia questions. Some topics include Disney honeymoons, Disney dining, World Showcase music, DVC versus a Deluxe Resort, the Empress Lilly and so much more.

I’ll play some more of your voicemails at the end of the show, so sit back, relax, and enjoy this week's episode of the WDW Radio Show.

You can email the show or call the voicemail TOLL FREE at 888-703-2171.

Thanks for listening! Be sure to tune in next week!
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

DocB is offline B-Ticket Holder

Thumbs up Re: WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast #116 - April 26, 2009

Great show! I love "What if's" type of shows. When you threw out the question of what pavillion you'd like to see at Epcot, I immediately thought Egypt, and then you said the same. It would be so cool to see a sphynx or pyramid sitting there in World Showcase. As you pointed out in the show, with the current economic and political climate, it is tough to justify a new World Showcase pavillion unless it is one that will draw visitors to the park. I think an Egyptian attraction would do just that. Not only would adults like it, but there would be so much to draw kids in...especially if there are mummies! In a perfect world, it would be just the excuse to bring Disneyland's Indiana Jones and the Forbidden Eye ride over to WDW (my favorite Disney ride of any park).

If not Egypt, Greece could be considered. Greek mythology offers a lot of potential as does the Olympics! I can see you, Lou, eating at a giant replica of the Parthenon!

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!

Re: WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast #116 - April 26, 2009

This episode mentioned prized Disney items that are part of your collection. You asked to hear what listeners consider to be their most prized item. My favorite item is a an original, framed cell that we purchased over ten years ago in the Animation Studio. It was the first real collectors item that we purchased and I have yet to see anything that I love as much.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

Spyne is offline Fastpass Holder

Re: WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast #116 - April 26, 2009

Really great show this week! Your conversation with Disney Legend Charles Ridgway about the opening of the 'Studios was so enjoyable to listen to. I think it's a very proper retrospective of sorts especially with the 20th Anniversary of the park being here. For me personally, it's so hard to believe the 'Studios is 20 years old all ready. It's amazing looking back, as I was only 1 year old when it opened! Good work with the emails as well. Keep up the great work, Lou!

HAPPY 20TH ANNIVERSARY DISNEY'S HOLLYWOOD STUDIOS!
    Keep it cool, and keep moving forward!

Trips to Walt Disney World

1995: Port Orleans French Quarter - 2000: All-Star Music
    2008: Caribbean Beach - 2009: Pop Century
    NEXT TRIP: Sep/Oct 2011 - WDW's 40th Anniversary!