Your Walt Disney World Information Station
The WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast Discuss WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast #118 - May 10, 2009 in the The WDW Radio Show forums; Hello my friends and welcome to The WDW Radio Show - Your Walt Disney World Information Station. I am your host, Lou Mongello and this is show #118 for the ...
    Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - Disney Expert, Host, Author, Speaker and Entrepreneur

WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast #118 - May 10, 2009

Hello my friends and welcome to The WDW Radio Show - Your Walt Disney World Information Station. I am your host, Lou Mongello and this is show #118 for the week of May 10, 2009. Thank you for tuning in once again and Happy Mothers’ Day to all of the moms listening.

We’ll start off the show with some news from Walt Disney World, including a new pirates experience in the Magic Kingdom, news from Disney’s Hollywood Studios about new meet and greets, a rumor about a possible major change coming to Star Tours and more.

One of the keys to any Walt Disney World vacation is planning ahead – and often times, that part of the fun as well. And planning can and should go beyond just where to stay, when to eat and how to maximize your time in the parks. In fact, there are certain individual aspects of your trip that if planned accordingly, can really enhance your family’s vacation. And for many, finding and obtaining character autographs and pictures is an important part of their trip. Chuck Lionberger joins me this week for some “Practical Planning in Every Way,” as we explore some strategies to help maximize your time, and number of characters in and out of the parks.

Listener Josh sits in the not-so-hot seat this week as we play a round of Walt Disney World Fact or Fiction, where I’ll test his knowledge of some interesting Disney history and trivia. Play along and see if he, and you, is up to the challenge.

I’ll play many more of your voicemails at the end of the show. So sit back, relax, and enjoy this week's episode of the WDW Radio Show.

You can email the show call the voicemail TOLL FREE at 888-703-2171.

Thanks for listening! Be sure to tune in next week!
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

ccudmore is offline A-Ticket holder

Re: WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast #118 - May 10, 2009

Loved the segment on character meet & greets. We were in WDW a few weeks ago and had some great experiences with characters at Magic Kingdom.

Spectromagic was on at 9 and 11 that night with Wishes at 10. After wishes I looked at the schedule and noticed that the character areas at ToonTown was open until 10:30 so we hurried over as soon as Wishes was done to see if Mickey/Princesses/Fairies were still there. To our delight they all still were and were waiting around with no line-ups. We were able to meet Mickey, Minnie, 3 princess and all fairies in less than 20 minutes. The wait times during the days tends to be about 45-60 minutes for each of the 3 queues. We were the 2nd last family to leave each of the greeting areas. They ended up not closing down the character meets until 10:45pm.

Another good find was at Rafiki's Planet Watch where Pocahontis and Rafiki were there with no lineups.

After we closed down ToonTown we wandered back to main street through an abandoned Tommorow Land (very cool being the only people there). As we approached the bridge back to Main Street (2nd Spectromagic was still on so we were going to duck through the Noodle Station) there were two young female guards standing on the bridge watching the parade from a distance. They didn't realize that anyone else was around and were standing there doing all of the moves from the girls in the parade in perfect synch to the music and parade - arm swirls, turns, etc. They were really into it and really had it down. They seemed a bit embarrassed when they noticed us watching but I went over and chatted with them. They admitted that it's secretly the dream of every girl who works in the parks to be in the parade some day. One of them wanted to be Cinderella and the other wanted to be Belle. A real magical moment.

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!

I've been working on collecting photos of characters to put in a poster-size frame. I have photos of most of the characters you mentioned, but there were several that I've noted on a "to do list" because now I know where to look for them. Interesting segment.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

thegoz85 is offline D-Ticket Holder

It's great to hear Fact or Fiction again! I missed that segment. Congrats to Josh, by the way!

Maybe someday we could have a Josh versus Cody Pepper FoF...
    "Every sunset leads to morning, with the promise of opportunity."
    ~Promise

Love Disney? Interested in technology? Read DisTECH! Click the logo to check it out:

Also find me on Facebook and Twitter!

Fun2BFree is offline C-Ticket Holder

Really, Lou? You thought the new Stitch show in Tomorrowland was amazing?

I guess I should reserve all judgment until I see it live, but any video I've seen makes me cringe. Those dancing robots who look like power rangers? 70's music with 80's breakdancing? In Tomorrowland?!

kat228 is offline Fastpass Holder

I need to make a correction from this show!

The Cape May Cafe now has Goofy, Minnie & Donald. Chip/Dale no longer appear. Even at other character dining venues, not all characters are guaranteed to be there...

Don't want anyone to be disappointed

Follow me on Twitter! --Live when I'm at the parks!
    Hey look! I started a blog! Disney updates 11/16!
    Drink Around the World in Epcot
    Upon entering the theater, please move as far to the end of the row as possible.
    Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic.
    ~Sam Eagle

Finkelstein is offline A-Ticket holder

Listened to this this afternoon and was kinda chuffed that I knew more than a few of the tips on where to get the elusive characters.....still picked up some great hints, especially on the sharpies and getting a personal map to be signed

Gordon

Lover_of_Disney is offline A-Ticket holder

Being a fellow 12 year old Disney geek, I know where Josh is coming from. All of my friends think I'm weird. One of them went down to the World during Spring Break and said she hated it! Her family didn't let me plan their trip for them ... they spent a week there and only went to the Magic Kingdom. And at that - they spent only one day there!

And he sounds CUTE. I want to meet him someday. :P My age, a Disney geek, what could possibly be wrong with him?!

I'm totally jealous too. I've only got Lou's second book. My parents don't get me very much Disney stuff. They're quite sick of me spouting out info randomly! I'm actually sort of the official planner for our trip in January. I won't be able to make all the calls to book stuff, but I'll try to get my dad up early enough to make CRT ADRs.

The character info was great too. I'm a regulary reader of Chuck's blog and wait for what seems like FOREVER for his Tip Tuesdays so that I can make a note of what to do on our Disney trip!
    A dream is *WISH* your heart makes, when you're fast asleep.

Going to Disney this June of '10!

`~`A true Disney princes!`~`

KINGCRAB is offline Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by Fun2BFree View Post
    I guess I should reserve all judgment until I see it live, but any video I've seen makes me cringe.
    Well, then, you'd be wise to reserve judgement and stop cringing!

70's music with 80's breakdancing? In Tomorrowland?!
    That's not the first time that they've done that. 70's and 80's music and dancing have been performed in Tomorrowland MANY times in the past, even since Disneyland's early years. Get over it!
    "Boy, I'm tired. I think I'll head over to The Hall of Presidents and take a nap."

WDW4Ever is offline Annual Passholder

What is the name of the song that is played a the very end just after the WDW Radio theme song?
    "If you can dream it you can do it."
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

Spyne is offline Fastpass Holder

Great show Lou, and I too wish Happy Mother's Day to all moms including my own. Your conversation on character autograph strategies with Chuck Lionberger was great to listen to. It should definitely be helpful for all the die-hard kids wanting their favorite character's signature. The new segment of Fact or Fiction with Josh was just a treat to listen to. I listen to the voicemails at the end of the show each week, and Josh always leaves great messages there. He definitely knows his Disney trivia! Great job Lou, keep it up.
    Keep it cool, and keep moving forward!

Trips to Walt Disney World

1995: Port Orleans French Quarter - 2000: All-Star Music
    2008: Caribbean Beach - 2009: Pop Century
    NEXT TRIP: Sep/Oct 2011 - WDW's 40th Anniversary!

Fun2BFree is offline C-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by KINGCRAB View Post
    Well, then, you'd be wise to reserve judgement and stop cringing!

That's not the first time that they've done that. 70's and 80's music and dancing have been performed in Tomorrowland MANY times in the past, even since Disneyland's early years. Get over it!

You just a little pathetic.

... and it seems many more agree with me as they are closing this attraction down less than 2 months after opening.

Mr. Crab, you seem very bitter and confrontational. What's your deal?

voyageofariel is offline Annual Passholder

(Insert comment here).
    Last edited by voyageofariel; 07-06-2012 at 12:54 AM.
    Party on Deck 7 with the Cool Kids!!

"We're so glad to see you all, shake the rafters fill the hall! Hoop dee doin' it with all our might! Hoop dee doin it, hoop dee doin it, hoop dee doin it tonight. Ya Hoo!"- Hoop Dee Doo Revue!