Your Walt Disney World Information Station
The WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast Discuss WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast #122 - June 7, 2009 in the The WDW Radio Show forums; Hello and welcome to The WDW Radio Show - Your Walt Disney World Information Station. I am your host, Lou Mongello and this is show #122 for the week of ...
    Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - WDW Trivia Book Author and Site Owner/Admin

WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast #122 - June 7, 2009

Hello and welcome to The WDW Radio Show - Your Walt Disney World Information Station. I am your host, Lou Mongello and this is show #122 for the week of June 7, 2009. Thank you for tuning in once again

Much of the magic we enjoy about Walt Disney World is often subconscious, yet very important, including and especially the constant expectation and fulfillment of a place that is always neat, clean and incredibly manicured. But we as Guests never get to see what goes on after the parks have closed to really make that magic happen. Well this week, Iím going to try and help paint a picture of what goes on when the last Guest walks out of the gates, as I speak with managers of the horticultural and custodial cast. They explain just some of what goes on as the Magic Kingdom comes to new life overnight in the park.

I just returned from Walt Disney World for some more research and to cover another Star Wars Weekends, but of course while there, a manís gotta eat, right? So this week Iím going to try and experiment with something new, and a bit different. Join me on a literal roundtable, as a group of friends and I do a live, on-the-spot dining review of Mama Melroseís at Disneyís Hollywood Studios. Weíll talk about the menu, review the food, and chat with our server, who shares some of the backstory of the restaurant.

Itís time to take a trip once again aboard my Walt Disney World Wayback Machine, as weíll head back to the Magic Kingdom, but this time back in 1973, as we look at the graceful Plaza Swan Boats, which plied the waterways around Cinderella Castle.

Iíll have another Walt Disney World trivia contest this week, but this time, itís just a little bit different Ė with a different format and an all-new prize.

Listen for more of your voicemails at the end of the show. So sit back, relax, and enjoy this week's episode of the WDW Radio Show.

You can email the show at lou@wdwradio.com or call the voicemail TOLL FREE at 888-703-2171.

Thanks for listening! Be sure to tune in next week!
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

enough is offline A-Ticket holder

Re: WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast #122 - June 7, 2009

When I opened iTunes this morning and didn't see it download I got a little worried that there wouldn't be a show this week... glad to see it's up now!

KINGCRAB is offline Annual Passholder

Did Jeff Pepper finally return to the show for the Wayback Machine? Please say "Yes".
    "Boy, I'm tired. I think I'll head over to The Hall of Presidents and take a nap."

Spyne is offline Fastpass Holder

I really enjoyed the show this week, Lou! So many interesting segments! Your conversations with the horticultural and custodial cast members about what they do in the Magic Kingdom during the night was very interesting. I can only imagine how hectic it must be for them to make sure it's all perfect for the next day.

Your live review of Mama Melrose's at the 'Studios with Tim Foster, Glenn Whelan, Tony M, and Scott O was so enjoyable to listen to. It's so funny to actually listen to you guys compliment on the food as you were eating it! Kat seemed like a very good sport through the whole thing too. Finally, the WDW Wayback Machine on the plaza swan boats was also interesting to listen to. I wasn't able to experience those swan boats for myself, but they sure sounded peaceful. Great show as always Lou, keep it up!
    Keep it cool, and keep moving forward!

Trips to Walt Disney World

1995: Port Orleans French Quarter - 2000: All-Star Music
    2008: Caribbean Beach - 2009: Pop Century
    NEXT TRIP: Sep/Oct 2011 - WDW's 40th Anniversary!

ricesk is offline A-Ticket holder

Absolutely loved the show! Didn't want it to end.

The interview with the horticulture and custodial cast members was so interesting....something you just don't hear about but very much appreciate their work. It is, at least for me, a large part of what makes WDW such a special and enchanted place.

Also, really really enjoyed the Mama Melrose review! Honestly, I could almost smell the food and taste the dessert! I think doing the review while you guys were right there in the restaurant made it more real. Mama Melrose is now on my list of ADRs to make for our October trip.

Thank you, Lou, for a another fantastic show! I don't know how you do it.....but so very much appreciate your efforts and look forward to listening every week! You definitely keep the magic alive!

Karen

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

Did I miss a segment on the followup to Star Wars Weekends? I kept getting distracted (I listen at work)...

It was cool running in to you at DHS and talking briefly...even my daughter had realized it was "the guy from the video"
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

thegoz85 is offline D-Ticket Holder

You need to put a disclaimer on these types of shows, Lou. By the time the episode was over, I was starving and still had two hours until my lunch break!

Thanks for another great episode! Can't wait for next week!
    "Every sunset leads to morning, with the promise of opportunity."
    ~Promise

Love Disney? Interested in technology? Read DisTECH! Click the logo to check it out:

Also find me on Facebook and Twitter!

VonBaroketch is offline B-Ticket Holder

Lou,

It was a pleasure catching up with you last weekend; I look forward to seeing you real soon in the near future (HOP preview?).

I was just listening to the show about the Plaza Swan Boats and found a home video of them on youtube. No doubt you've already seen it. Since I was only a year old when it closed down, I have no memories of them. From the video, it looked like the video turned around in the section that is now Shrunken Neds. I was trying to figure out how the boats got back around the Treehouse without going backstage and into the Jungle Cruise river. Believe me, nothing glamorous back there, although I am sure you and others on these forums would find it very cool! To my knowledge, the boat used to maintain the Jungle Cruise is the same to maintain the Magic Kingdom canals, and it is much smaller than the Swan boats.

I would love to see a similar attraction brought back to the canals. Many views of the Magic Kingdom that were intended by the Imagineers have been lost. When I worked at the Treehouse a few years ago, I used to open up the extended queue so that guests could enjoy that view of the Treehouse. It was sorely neglected and dirty, so I cleaned it up, undid some of the ropes, and made it nice again. The extended queue is even listed in the operating mannual as a show scene! I always thought it would be a great area to turn into a patio and add some rocking chairs, since there are already overhead fans that keep it pleasant. Of course, I would also like to see something done with the Adventureland Veranda, as well as a revival of the Keelboats (back in Liberty Square where they belong!).

Pax,

Chad
    Ludwig von Baroketch
    Kapellmeister, Gracey Estate
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

bigbrian-nc.com is offline WDW: A History In Postcards

Keeping the Rose Garden in Bloom Thank you Herold from Horticulture

Keeping the Rose Garden in Bloom Thank you Herold from Horticulture

listening to the interview with the Horticulture and Custodial cast made me think of the above photo I took early in the morning on my most recent trip, this was at the Swan boat dock of this cast member who was working on the Rose Garden. I also took lots of photos of food at Mama Melroses that same trip, so this episode touched again and again on subjects from the 2008 Mousefest trip.
    Last edited by bigbrian-nc.com; 06-10-2009 at 09:28 PM.

Walt Disney World: A History in Postcards

Lady_Aurora is offline A-Ticket holder
    Wilmington, Delaware- Hopefully Orlando soon!

Great show! I love listening to all the details about how this magical park stays as magical as it is! And I am planning on going to Mama Melrose's when I go back to Disney (whenever that will be) so I was really glad to hear your review of it
    -Jessica
    Social Media Director
    Celebrations Magazine

kat228 is offline Fastpass Holder

One of my favorites in the MK is Casey's Corn Dog Nuggets:

(for those of you who don't know what I'm talking about!)

My Mom always places her order for a hot dog with my Dad and I in line (how boring!) and then says to us, "I'm going to grab seats down by the swan boats." What's funny is that this scenario has happened so many times, I know exactly where she means, but I never knew that it used to be the dock, I always thought it was across the way. If you ever need a spot to eat your hot dogs & corn dog nuggets, cross Main Street and head down there. Part of it is a smoking section now, but part of it isn't and it's always empty! I had a phone interview for my current job while sitting down there! One of my favorite spots in the MK!

Great episode! Loved the review, interview, & trivia too!

Follow me on Twitter! --Live when I'm at the parks!
    Hey look! I started a blog! Disney updates 11/16!
    Drink Around the World in Epcot
    Upon entering the theater, please move as far to the end of the row as possible.
    Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic.
    ~Sam Eagle

8lovesmickey is offline A-Ticket holder

Lou - Thanks for the great podcast! I loved the insight from the after-hours crews. It's so easy to take all that weed-less landscaping for granted. I was also so impressed by the custodial crew and their attitude. That, to me, epitomizes Disney. Everyone has a role to play and they all know they're interconnected and indispensable. When we're down in a couple of weeks I will make a special point to chat with the broom-toting CM's and thank them for all their efforts.

Unfortunately my first trip to WDW was in 1988 so I never saw the Swan Boats. I can see how they might be a little obsolete, but there's something to say for nostalgia, too.

WDW in 25 days

Stitch's buddy is offline Hakuna Matata

Lou(or Tim Foster, Glenn Whelan, Tony M,or Scott O) do you by chance have a picture of the flat bread?

I FINISHED my first ever race, ToT 13Kand running it again in '09

** Please, Please excuse my grammatical and spelling errors. Correct me if I'm wrong.**

KevinZ is offline B-Ticket Holder

Great show. I would like to hear more from the operations people. What these people do day in and day out is truly remarkable.
    Kevin

WDWRadio Cruise : Deck 8 is great!
    "Almost there!"
    "Keep moving forward!"

pelegirl56 is offline A-Ticket holder

I just wanted to say thank you for highlighting Mama Melrose. I love it there so much and I try to eat there every time I make a trip and it is my favorite place for Fantasmic Dining! My husband loves the chicken parm so much our waiter gave us the recipe!

Thanks for a great show Lou.
    "I am always counting down to my next trip to Disney World