Your Walt Disney World Information Station
The WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast Discuss WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast #125 - June 28, 2009 in the The WDW Radio Show forums; Hello and welcome to The WDW Radio Show - Your Walt Disney World Information Station. I am your host, Lou Mongello and this is show #125 for the week of ...
    Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - WDW Trivia Book Author and Site Owner/Admin

WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast #125 - June 28, 2009

Hello and welcome to The WDW Radio Show - Your Walt Disney World Information Station. I am your host, Lou Mongello and this is show #125 for the week of June 28, 2009. Thank you for tuning in once again.

I’ll answer more of your Listener Emails again this week, including questions about going to Walt Disney World alone, resort hopping, Streetmosphere and more.

With the summer heat in full swing, it’s only appropriate that this week we will look at the Top Ten Places to Get Wet in Walt Disney World to help you and your kids find some of the best places to stay cool and have fun.

Listen for more of your voicemails at the end of the show. So sit back, relax, and enjoy this week's episode of the WDW Radio Show.

You can email the show or call the voicemail TOLL FREE at 888-703-2171.

Thanks for listening! Be sure to tune in next week!
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

Soupy11 is offline A-Ticket holder

Re: WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast #125 - June 28, 2009

Just listened to half the show and was amused to hear you giving grief to Becky over her math when she was on the right track. I think the email was asking where in the world could he get dropped off that would cost him the least....he mentioned saving a few bucks to get some mickey treats....Downtown Disney would likely be the shortest destination from the airport and then he could hitch a free ride to the park of his choice. I dont think he meant how close to the gate he could get...which would cost him more in cab fare....

dxwwf3 is offline A-Ticket holder

I posted the same thing on facebook

Looks like we'll be hearing a big apology on the next show because Becky was right.

Since1994 is offline A-Ticket holder

Talking Re: WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast #125 - June 28, 2009

Hey Lou
    We found that Future World in Epcot was great to cool down in the scorching Florida heat. There are lots of little "water gardens" all round future world that our daughter just couldn't stay away from.
    Please click the link below to check out our daughter having a great time coolin' off!
    YouTube - Emily Splashing!
    Magical Wishes to you all
    Nikki

I love & WDW Radio

Spyne is offline Fastpass Holder

Great show, Lou! Great job to you and Beci Mahnken on the emails. Your new Top 10 with Tim Foster on places to get wet was very enjoyable. I always laugh at the friendly banter that's there between you and Tim. I can definitely agree on everything both of you mentioned. Once again, keep up the great work Lou!
    Keep it cool, and keep moving forward!

Trips to Walt Disney World

1995: Port Orleans French Quarter - 2000: All-Star Music
    2008: Caribbean Beach - 2009: Pop Century
    NEXT TRIP: Sep/Oct 2011 - WDW's 40th Anniversary!

DebšošS is offline There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday!
    1062.3 miles from my "Home Away From Home" resort Boardwalk Villas

Great show once again! We'll be visiting WDW in August so your list of places to get wet in the world will come in handy. On my list is Catastrophe Canyon. It was a nice relief last June (a 5 on the soaked scale) and am looking foward to it again this August.
    Here's another The Breathless. DSs soaking up Crescent Lake. Definately a 10!

MainStreet, USA is offline I'm walking right down the middle of Main Street, USA!
    Southington, CT/Daytona Beach, FL/ Main Street, USA!

I'm most of the way through this weeks, show, and I wanted to throw out a couple of comments on what I've hear thus far. As posts 2 and 3 in this thread have already pointed out, I too was under the assumption that the email regarding the taxis/WDW transportation was asking what was the shortest distance they could take a taxi in order to save on cab fare. They didn't mind taking the WDW transportation because it is free, and would take it the whole way if possible. I don't think they were asking for the shortest distance between the cab drop off and the main gates of one of the theme parks.

The first thing I thought of was Magical Express, which would mean no taxi was required at all (therefore, no cab fare), but if they weren't staying at one of the Disney resorts, this might not be an option. I'm not sure what the next best option would be, as being an East coast FL resident, I don't usually come and go from the airport, and tend to make my entrance to/exit from WDW via I-4.

Next... I've heard some far fetched, rambling, roundabout, marginally relative to the topic answers in some of your top-ten segments in the past, but Tim was really getting out there in some of these this week. I thought the idea was the top ten BEST places to get wet... not the most abstract, unusual, out of the way, "I'm not sure how she got wet, but she did" places you might (read MIGHT) get a few droplets of water splashed on you. The only way I can think to get wet on 'It's a Small World' would be to either place your hand over the side and into the water, or else get spit on by some trouble-making kid standing on the exit bridge as your boat passes under it. And that, in my opinion, is not top-ten worthy.

As for your statement regarding Kali River Rapids as a place where you WILL get wet, I have to disagree. It takes a lot for me to say this, and it is extremely rare that I will ever trash a Disney-related anything in favor of something non-Disney, but I have to say that in the world of white water rafting-style rides, Kali River is WEAK.

First, the ride itself. As a water ride, Kali is an extreme case of hit-or-miss. By that I mean you might get soaked to the bone, or you might get nothing more than a fine misting that doesn't dampen anything but your spirits. Of course, with just about all raft rides you do run the chance of not getting wet at all, but it's usually a once-in-a-blue-moon kind of thing. With Kali, I find it to be more of a 50/50 chance of getting significantly wet versus being able to walk off as dry as you got on. Most of the rapids are tame, the raft is too large and heavy to get bounced around much, and the large radius of the massive raft also seems to dampen its ability to spin (physics calls this rotational inertia... the same reason why figure skaters spin faster when they tuck their arms in closer to their body). What this means is that if you are on the backside of the raft in one spot, unless there is a significant collision with an obstacle to spin you around, you're probably going to be staying on the backside of the raft for most of the ride, and therefore, probably out of the splash zone for most if not all of it.

Even the theming on Kali, while certainly existent, is not Disney's best work. I understand the whole deforestation thing, but I've seen countless cases of people getting off the ride and asking their friends if they'd seen the truck in the middle of the ride, and what it was doing there, and what it was supposed to represent. I think that if Disney really wanted the message to stand out, they kind of came up short on this one.

As a native of Southington, CT, and a former 4-year employee of Lake Compounce Family Theme Park (aka "The Lake"), I have to say that The Lake's 'Thunder Rapids' is far and away a better RIDE in terms of thrills and splash-age. The rapids are plentiful and exciting, the ride course is twistier and turbulent, and the rafts are smaller and spin plentifully. It's almost impossible to come off this one dry, and it IS impossible to come off it without having had a fantastic time... something that Kali River is again only hit-or-miss on in my opinion. About the only thing that Thunder Rapids at The Lake is missing is a real theme, but then again... one can almost make the same argument about Kali.

And as much as it pains me to say this, of all the raft rides I've ridden in my lifetime, the #1 spot has got to go to 'Popeye & Bluto's Bilge-Rat Barges' over at *gasp!* Universal's Islands of Adventure. (I know, I know... bite your tongue!) But that ride DOES have it all. It's a large raft ride, a la Kali River, but there IS a theme, and it's a fun theme that people notice and pay attention to, and there are so many splashing and spraying props that it is pretty much impossible to not get soaked to the bone. Not only that, but towards the end of the ride you float past a multi-level play area (themed like a ship named 'The Olive') where other guests armed with water cannons will make CERTAIN that nobody gets past looking too dry. I'm not talking about Kali's 'push-the-button to make the fixed-position elephant squirt water' type of thing, but rather a swiveling, pivoting mounted water cannon that can actually be aimed at the unsuspecting bilge-rats below. I hate to say it, but out of the three raft rides I've just described here... Bilge Rat Barges comes in first, followed by Thunder Rapids, while Kali river brings up the rear. WEAK! (Sorry Disney... I only say it like it is.)

Ok, soap box aside and onto my next talking point... the water parks. You mentioned that you were definitely going to do a segment on the water parks sometime soon. I think it would be ideal to do this during the summer months, so please don't put this one off for too long. During your May meet of the month (at Sunshine Tree Terrace), Ashley and I got into a playful spat regarding which water park ruled supreme champion, and which was the lowly runner up (aka second place, aka the first loser). You watched for a minute with an amused look on your face, and then suggested that it would make a good idea for a show topic. Are you still interested in doing a Typhoon Lagoon versus Blizzard Beach debate? It sounded a bit like you and Tim almost got into a bit of one on this weeks show, so I'm thinking there are certainly good arguments to be heard from either side. This could be a really fun show segment, and one which I would be glad to pitch in my own two cents on. I personally prefer Typhoon Lagoon myself. Blizzard is great, and has a lot to offer, and has far and away the better variety of slides. But Typhoon just has so much MORE... from snorkeling with sharks, to a water coaster, to what has got to be hands down the best gosh darn wave pool in the world, which in my opinion is enough to beat out any other water park by itself. (I was just there this past Thursday, and overheard a couple of young teenage boys in the middle of the wave pool discussing it's unreal awesomeness. "This is the most EPIC wave pool EVER," one of them said. "No doubt," replied his friend. "If you were to look up the word 'epic' on Wikipedia... it would have a picture of this!" It was by far the funniest thing I'd heard in a while, and absolutely made my day... well, that, and body surfing 6-foot waves for most of the afternoon followed by a dash and splash down the 'Humonga Cowabunga' speed slides).

Anyway, if you do get around to doing a water park discussion at some point, I would love to be a part of it. And if it calls for a water park research trip... well, I'm your guy (no swimmies required)! They are the real reason I pay for the Premium upgrade to my AP each year!

Anyway, great show as usual. Thanks for all the time and effort you put into these. There's a reason your show keeps getting voted in as #1, and why it's the only one I listen to every week.

See ya!
    -Don-
    Your heart can just take wing,
    You can live out all your dreams...
    ...it's time to Remember the Magic!
    Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Pilot's Life for Me...

pigletfan is offline D-Ticket Holder

How about that water park WDW Radio meet? Now THAT sounds fun! I always end up at Typhoon Lagoon too. I love the trees, and the theming of that water park. How about August, or maybe at the meet for Everest Weekend??

MainStreet, USA is offline I'm walking right down the middle of Main Street, USA!
    Southington, CT/Daytona Beach, FL/ Main Street, USA!

I just got around to finishing this weeks show, and I just wanted to say how much I both loved and appreciated the background musical selection at the end of the top-ten segment - Michael Jackson's 'Another Part of Me'. His artistry will be missed. God bless Captain EO.
    -Don-
    Your heart can just take wing,
    You can live out all your dreams...
    ...it's time to Remember the Magic!
    Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Pilot's Life for Me...

Stitch's buddy is offline Hakuna Matata

A unusal way to get wet it volunteer to be apart of the backlot tour,even with your coveralls and hood you get wet. A get way to cool off

I FINISHED my first ever race, ToT 13Kand running it again in '09

** Please, Please excuse my grammatical and spelling errors. Correct me if I'm wrong.**

AllieBee is offline D-Ticket Holder

Lou, I say this with much affection: You owe Becki a BIG apology! She was totally right about suggesting Downtown Disney in response to the listener who wanted to save money to be dropped off closest to the airport within Disney property, and then you gave her so much GRIEF! I am assuming that you will be taking HER to California Grill now, very soon!

I think an on-air apology is in order.
    October, 2003 - Wilderness Lodge
    January, 2006 - Disney Magic
    January, 2007 - Windsor Hills Resort
    October, 2007 - Bonnet Creek Resort
    January, 2008 - Disney Magic
    January, 2010 - Windsor Hills Resort
    January 28-February 5, 2011 - Windsor Hills Resort
    January 12-January 15, 2012 - Windsor Hills Resort
    January 28 -January 31, 2012 - Pop Century

Read my pre-trip report!
    http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/trip-...ip-report.html

GAN
    GAN is offline A-Ticket holder

Quote Originally Posted by MainStreet, USA View Post
    As for your statement regarding Kali River Rapids as a place where you WILL get wet, I have to disagree. It takes a lot for me to say this, and it is extremely rare that I will ever trash a Disney-related anything in favor of something non-Disney, but I have to say that in the world of white water rafting-style rides, Kali River is WEAK.
    I believe Lou mentioned that the ride offers an element of surprise which makes it better than it might be otherwise. Sure, everyone gets soaked on Universal's Bilge Rats ride -but after the first soaking I don't find it all that interesting. I also like Kali's randomness -so would go with Lou on this one.

Lou -you owe Beci a big kiss(if she'll let you) regarding the transportation question. You also got on her about the "Mickey Head"(which I would have chose) and then you chose Popcorn(?). C'mon.....I can get that at home.

Keep up the great entertainment!

beci is offline A-Ticket holder

Thank for your support AllieBee & GAN! LOL

and he can have the popcorn... means more mickey head bars for us!
    Last edited by beci; 07-24-2009 at 07:35 PM.
    Beci Mahnken, ctc-mcc
    MEI & Mouse Fan Travel
    beci@MouseFanTravel.com