Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
The WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast Discuss Lou's Move to Florida in the The WDW Radio Show forums; Lou, I think you should do a 24-hour webcast on your move to Florida while eating wasabi peas....
    oakmanner is offline A-Ticket holder

Re: Lou's Move to Florida

Lou, I think you should do a 24-hour webcast on your move to Florida while eating wasabi peas.

1998- Dixie Landings, 2000- Dixie Landings, 2001- DLR, 2002- DLR, 2002- Port Orleans Riverside, 2003- Port Orleans Riverside, 2003- Pop Century, 2004- Pop Century, 2006- Pop Century, 2007- Port Orleans Riverside, 2008- Land & Sea; Beach Club & Disney Wonder, 2008- Saratoga Springs, 2009-Saratoga Springs, 2010- Animal Kingdom Villas

WDW4Ever is offline Annual Passholder

I wouldn't mind a podcast on that. There's a possibility I might be moving to florida for reasons that are not Disney. I'm looking at the Teal Sound Drum & Bugle Corps in Jacksonville. But a podcast about the change from your hometown to Florida and what it takes to be a resident in FL would be awesome!
    "If you can dream it you can do it."
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

TestSherpa is offline D-Ticket Holder

Lou, let us in on it. You're living the dream, man, and you should let us live vicariously through you.
    M
    Founder of TestSherpa LSAT Test Preparation
    The LSAT is not as fun as the Haunted Mansion, but just as scary.

WDWFigment is offline A-Ticket holder

I think, after more time has passed, it might be interesting to hear about the pros and cons of living so close versus living farther away (from Lou and/or other individuals who have made the move). While it sounds like a dream, I'll bet there are some drawbacks as well (do the parks lose a bit of their luster when they're so accessible, is it as special for the kids, no more DME, anticipation, etc.)

Definitely would make for an interesting segment!

Poopachino is offline A-Ticket holder

Lou, I saw that you and Matt Hochberg did a talk on this at MagicMeets. How did that go? Did you record that session?

TiggerRPh is offline E-Ticket Holder

I want to see the video from Lou's dash-cam on the drive down....we all know there is one.
    Ray

DVC Member - Since 1995
    Old Key West

M-I-C-K-E-Y....I'm a Disney freak.

cindymouse6 is offline C-Ticket Holder

I almost moved to Celebration back when it first started --- that $350,000 house I thought I couldn't afford is now worth $850,000 ... wow! what a mistake ... meanwhile, lost most of my retirement and savings in the stock market... so maybe moving to FL wouldn't have been bad.

Now, I have kids -- heard schools are bad for the most part -- few people speak English -- and if my kids grew up becoming FL gator fans, I would die! (I am a TN football fan)... I've heard such negative things for moving families there that I have never done it, so it would be interesting to hear pros/cons of such. I spoke to one lady from Kissimmee after Wishes one night and she had her son's baseball team there and spoke highly of living there but to be careful where you move -- lots of gangs in schools, etc. Very curious.
    cindymouse6
    DVC members Old Key West, Beach Club, Bay Lake Towers
    30+ visits and still adding them on!
    New Years 2014, WDW marathon weekend 2014, Bay lake MK view 2014, Food and wine Festival 2014 Premium annual passholder!!!!

Carolla is offline C-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by cindymouse6 View Post
    I almost moved to Celebration back when it first started --- that $350,000 house I thought I couldn't afford is now worth $850,000 ... wow! what a mistake ... meanwhile, lost most of my retirement and savings in the stock market... so maybe moving to FL wouldn't have been bad.

Now, I have kids -- heard schools are bad for the most part -- few people speak English -- and if my kids grew up becoming FL gator fans, I would die! (I am a TN football fan)... I've heard such negative things for moving families there that I have never done it, so it would be interesting to hear pros/cons of such. I spoke to one lady from Kissimmee after Wishes one night and she had her son's baseball team there and spoke highly of living there but to be careful where you move -- lots of gangs in schools, etc. Very curious.

What? "Few people speak English"????

I have LOTS of friends who live in Florida and as a native of Tennessee I can say that (A) my schools weren't that great (B) it's all really dependent on your school so generalizations are bad. And (C) WHAT??? None of my friends speak anything BUT English!

cindymouse6 is offline C-Ticket Holder

Which explains why I am asking for positive experiences -- I work with a guy who worked at Disney for 8 years and taught at a local college and he has nothing but bad to say about the influx of non-speaking English and poor schools. I do believe there are 2 sides to every story which is why I am curious about anyone's positive experience.

I hear Winter Haven has great schools and Celebration does. Just wonder how kids have adjusted to moving from different cultures and school systems. I personally moved from TN to MD and wow, what a drastic difference in social environment --
    cindymouse6
    DVC members Old Key West, Beach Club, Bay Lake Towers
    30+ visits and still adding them on!
    New Years 2014, WDW marathon weekend 2014, Bay lake MK view 2014, Food and wine Festival 2014 Premium annual passholder!!!!

goofy12 is offline A-Ticket holder

Your a very lucky man Lou!!

<><><><><><><><><><><>
    "It's kind of fun to do the impossible"- Walt Disney

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12