Your Walt Disney World Information Station
The WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast Discuss WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast #136 - September 13, 2009 in the The WDW Radio Show forums; Hello and welcome to The WDW Radio Show - Your Walt Disney World Information Station. I am your host, Lou Mongello and this is show #136 for the week of ...
    Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - Disney Expert, Host, Author, Speaker and Entrepreneur

WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast #136 - September 13, 2009

Hello and welcome to The WDW Radio Show - Your Walt Disney World Information Station. I am your host, Lou Mongello and this is show #136 for the week of September 13, 2009. Thank you for tuning in once again.

While I certainly believe that “There's a great, big, beautiful tomorrow,” I also subscribe to the fact that “Now is the time, now is the best time,” and for that reason, this week we are going to take a detailed look at a classic attraction – Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress. In this DSI: Disney Scene Investigation, we will look at its history, evolution, present and future, as well as its significance beyond the Walt Disney World park.

I'll play more listener voicemails at the end of the show, so sit back, relax, and enjoy this week's episode of the WDW Radio Show.

You can email the show or call the voicemail TOLL FREE at 888-703-2171.

Thanks for listening! Be sure to tune in next week!
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

elbug10 is offline A-Ticket holder

Cool Re: WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast #136 - September 13, 2009

Hi Lou!

Relatively new listener and first time poster. I've owned your trivia books for a few years but just discovered the podcasts earlier this summer. I've been going back and listening to the older episodes from the beginning and they're still very entertaining even if the "news" isn't so newsy anymore!

Anyway, just had to write in and say how much I enjoyed this particular episode about the Carousel of Progress. It's one of my all-time favorite rides dating back from my first visit to WDW in 1975 at age 5. It wasn't scary to a small child like some of the other dark rides, and it was fun to sit in a theater that moved. As I got older, it remained a favorite. I honestly don't remember "Now is the Time" even though it would've been the theme song when I first rode CoP. I guess I'm a "Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow" girl.

Two years ago, I had the opportunity to introduce CoP to a WDW virgin, who at age 25 had NEVER been to The World (I know!). She's a history buff and immediately fell in love with the attraction, even pointing out details to me that I'd missed. For instance, the characters names don't really change, (except for the dog), but the daughter "Patricia" in the 1920's becomes "Patty" in the 1960's scenes. Also, "Mother" and "Father" in the 1890's scene are "Mom" and "Dad" by the end. I noticed on this last visit that the Christmas Tree lights in the final scene are now the new LED lights that most people are using today. I also never realized before that the outside wall of the theater rotates when the seats do. We were walking by the theater on our way somewhere else and I realized it was moving! How cool! It really is a remarkable attraction, considering when it was created, and I hope it always remains open at WDW. It IS part of Walt Disney history and it needs to stay open. I worry b/c it is almost always a walk-on attraction every time I've been there, and I'm concerned that today's generation doesn't understand how special CoP is.

Keep up the great work, Lou. See ya!

Spyne is offline Fastpass Holder

Re: WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast #136 - September 13, 2009

Great show, Lou! Your new DSI: Disney Scene Investigation on Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress with Craig Wheeler was just a great listen, for sure. While I may not connect to the attraction in the same way others do, I still think it holds a big historical significance to the Magic Kingdom. For no other reason than it was one of Walt's original attractions. So again, some great points you two brought up about this classic attraction. Keep up the great work, Lou!
    Keep it cool, and keep moving forward!

Trips to Walt Disney World

1995: Port Orleans French Quarter - 2000: All-Star Music
    2008: Caribbean Beach - 2009: Pop Century
    NEXT TRIP: Sep/Oct 2011 - WDW's 40th Anniversary!

bater8slater is offline Annual Passholder

Hey lou. great show. I geuss I didn't sound too good on the voicemails...

DRC2 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Shelby Twp. , Michigan/ via Hillsboro Oregon

Great DSI Lou! Even though it would be great to see the attraction get an update, how can any Disney fan not love it and want to see its continued existence!
    (Walt's touch....Sherman brothers..!!) It is nice way to show the younger generations what life was like for their parents/grandparents etc... I not against change, just total change! Great Show! Great live feeds from D23! Keep up the great work and thank you for all you do!

Patriot Pan is offline A-Ticket holder

This was really one of the best shows. The COP is such a great ride. I am torn about the idea of the ride getting an update. I do like the ride just the way it is, although I can understand how it might be a little difficult for a new generation to relate to it. Plus, if disney is going to invest some time and money into updating the attraction it will almost certainly guarantee that it will be around for quite a while longer.

Thanks for an awesome show...

GrumpyFan is offline A-Ticket holder

I really enjoyed this episode Lou. CoP is not exactly my most favorite attraction at WDW but I enjoy hearing about the history of it listening to trivia about it. The show prompted me to do my own re-imagineering of the attraction. But, don't panic, I didn't butcher it, the core of the attraction remains unchanged. You can check out my re-imagineered CoP at my blog.
    Last edited by GrumpyFan; 09-19-2009 at 12:55 PM.

dzneynut is offline Trivia Nut & Supplier of Games

Quote Originally Posted by elbug10 View Post
    Hi Lou!
    Relatively new listener and first time poster. I've owned your trivia books for a few years but just discovered the podcasts earlier this summer. I've been going back and listening to the older episodes from the beginning and they're still very entertaining even if the "news" isn't so newsy anymore!
    Lisa, when did you sneak in here?
    It's good to see you here. I've been here, like forever!
    Welcome aboard!
    JamesD
    dzneynut@wdwradio.com

My DVD Profiler Collection

Future Disney Trips:
    Oct. 26-Nov. 2, 2013 staying at Beach Club Villas for my birthday and Food & Wine Festival!
    Nov. 2-9, 2013 for WDWRadio Cruise aboard the Disney Fantasy!

Major Dude is offline C-Ticket Holder

I'll echo everyone else Lou and thank you for this DSI. Carousel Of Progress has been one of my favorites for a long time. It's one of the attractions I can remember from my earliest trips to Disneyland. I can remember always having to be pulled away from the Progress City model. It was a little living city! At least to a 7 or 8 year old it was. And somehow the Peoplemover went past Progress City I think. Maybe not, I'm fuzzy on the details.

When I visit CoP now at WDW it is just a great visit to early memories and it's still a great attraction. It really IS a great big beautiful tomorrow.

Toad's Buddy is offline Fastpass Holder

Great show on the CoP. I learned so much on a ride I thought I already knew so much about! Where exactly is the hidden picture of Walt Disney in the show?
    Last edited by Toad's Buddy; 09-20-2009 at 06:37 PM.
    Have a Great, Big, Beautiful Today!

Toad's Buddy

"No more Laserdiscs for you, Grandpa!"

llawrence1970 is offline A-Ticket holder

I absolutely loved this podcast on the Carousel of Progress, the sentimentality of this ride to me and obviously to imagineers and Walt continues to floor me. And sometimes when I'm humming either song at home (because of childhood memories I'm a Now is the Time girl) it brings all the magic and emotion back.

In the podcast a video was mentioned with Walt singing Big Beautiful Tomorrow? Where is this in the queue? I don't think I've ever noticed it before and would LOVE to see it on my next trip.....

Great work Lou on the podcast!
    Laura

CyclingMickey is offline B-Ticket Holder

Just love COP!
    Producer of the Enhanced DSIs found in the WDW Radio download section

My Photos