Your Walt Disney World Information Station
The WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast Discuss WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast #142 - October 25, 2009 in the The WDW Radio Show forums; Hello and welcome to The WDW Radio Show - Your Walt Disney World Information Station. I am your host Lou Mongello and this is show #142 for the week of ...
    Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - Disney Expert, Host, Author, Speaker and Entrepreneur

WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast #142 - October 25, 2009

Hello and welcome to The WDW Radio Show - Your Walt Disney World Information Station. I am your host Lou Mongello and this is show #142 for the week of October 25, 2009. Thank you for tuning in once again.

The big news this week from Walt Disney World is the debut of a new show, and a new princess, and Tiana's Showboat Jubilee starts this week in Liberty Square in the Magic Kingdom. The live musical production based on The Princess and the Frog starts with a parade processional that leads to a show aboard the Liberty Square riverboat. There, Princess Tiana, the first new Disney Princess since Mulan debuted in 1998 leads a cast in a fun-filled musical show. And rather my describe it to you, this week I uploaded a preview video to the iTunes feed, and the entire show video to WDWRadio.com

And while Walt Disney World Guests are being treated to a new show this week, sometimes we lose some of our favorite attractions, shows, shops and restaurants as new ones are introduced. So this week, we're going to look at the Top Ten Things We Miss at Walt Disney World

I'll play more of your voicemails at the end of the show, so sit back, relax, and enjoy this week's episode of the WDW Radio Show.
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

tdf192 is offline C-Ticket Holder

Re: WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast #142 - October 25, 2009

Wow, that crocodile on the soundtrack cover of the film looks so much like the one in Peter Pan!!

cindymouse6 is offline C-Ticket Holder

The one thing I miss the most is Alfredo's restaurant. I was devastated when it left. Last summer we ate there 3 times in 6 days... I couldn't bare not having it there. Many don't share my love for the food, but according to my husband, it was the authentic Italian food he had when he lived in Italy. He would speak Italian to the staff and we got extra attention and better service -- and I loved the history of Pickford and Fairbanks bringing it to America! Loved pix of the celebs on the walls and you knew this was what Old Hollywood wined and dined on! The real Alfredo sauce! I can't bring myself to eat in the replacement restaurant -- see don't even know the name -- dont' want to --- can't even walk by the doorway -- at least I have a recipe from the first WDW cookbook I ever bought that is veerrry close to the Alfredo sauce.

Also, I miss making out on the Skyway Ride at night under the twinkling stars! But not as much as Alfredo's -- both were intoxicating! LOL
    cindymouse6
    DVC members Old Key West, Beach Club, Bay Lake Towers
    30+ visits and still adding them on!
    New Years 2014, WDW marathon weekend 2014, Bay lake MK view 2014, Food and wine Festival 2014 Premium annual passholder!!!!

VGL_Lynx is offline B-Ticket Holder

I was waiting for Lou or Tim to say the Magic Shop! I miss the old Main Street and the differences in the stores. I loved the Magic Shop and the Penny Arcade that was attached to it.

Lou's comments on nostalgia vs. how great the attraction/store/eatery actually were is spot on though. As a child I dearly loved 20,000 Leagues. When I returned in 1987, I rode it after visiting the then new Living Seas/Seabase Alpha (don't get me started) and 20,000 Leagues seemed diminished in some ways. I also remember that the Subs weren't as nice as I remembered as a little kid. Silly thing is when I find pics of the interior of the subs online, they seem nicer than I remember. Memory is a funny thing.

We can only hope that 20,000 Leagues will someday return. You know Disney is playing with a remake idea. Will Smith IS Captain Nemo. I'm not joking.

Anyway... so I've wandered off topic again. Lou, great episode. Thanks for the hard work.

VonBaroketch is offline B-Ticket Holder

This was such a fun episode; it sounds like a conversation I have with my cousin every time we go to the parks together. Once Lou announced the Top Ten topic, I played a game of making up my own list and comparing them with Lou's and Tim's. I kid not, everything they mentioned I also had thought of, including the bar-b-que sauce at Whispering Canyon! Whispering Canyon has sentimental significance for me, and it has become a tradition to eat there every year during the Christmas season. I remember when the sauces were taken away, and every time I have eaten there since, I tell my dining party about them. There is something to be said when MANY people miss the same things, both about those people and about those things.

However, nothing is permanent with Disney, which goes both ways. Disneyland's Magic Shop has just been redone to be a magic shop once again! Sure, it's the Houdini stuff they sell at Downtown Disney and not the Adams novelties we remember as kids, but at least it is magic instead of the board games being sold a couple of weeks ago. It even has masks!

from http://micechat.com/forums/blogs/in-...ge-crowds.html

Could a new food and beverage executive add unique bbq sauces to Whispreing Canyon?
    Last edited by VonBaroketch; 10-30-2009 at 04:24 PM.
    Ludwig von Baroketch
    Kapellmeister, Gracey Estate
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

CarinaBelle is offline A-Ticket holder

I miss Goofy Bars! They were an ice cream treat like the Mickey bar without the ears, and had caramel inside! I would eat two a day on our trips. I wish they would bring those back.

Spyne is offline Fastpass Holder

Very enjoyable show this week, Lou! Your Top 10 Things We Miss at Walt Disney World with Tim Foster was very interesting to listen to. I always find it very fascinating to really see how much time has gone by, and what attractions come and go throughout the years. The memories shared between you and Tim just made the memories much more enjoyable. As always, great job Lou!
    Keep it cool, and keep moving forward!

Trips to Walt Disney World

1995: Port Orleans French Quarter - 2000: All-Star Music
    2008: Caribbean Beach - 2009: Pop Century
    NEXT TRIP: Sep/Oct 2011 - WDW's 40th Anniversary!

mainstreet1997 is offline A-Ticket holder

This is more of a recent one. But I miss the Prime Rib at Kona...PUT IT BACK!

Quote Originally Posted by mainstreet1997 View Post
    This is more of a recent one. But I miss the Prime Rib at Kona...PUT IT BACK!
    Ok, we might as well get this out of our system! How about we start a Top Ten list (of infinite items with no particular ranking) of food items we miss at WDW:

1. BBQ Sauce at Whispering Canyon (Tim Foster)
    2. Prime Rib at Kona (mainstreet1997)
    3. Pineapple and caramel dipping sauce at Ohana (VonBaroketch)
    4. who's next???
    Ludwig von Baroketch

CyclingMickey is offline B-Ticket Holder

No doubt about it, miss 20,000 leagues
    Producer of the Enhanced DSIs found in the WDW Radio download section

My Photos

Uh oh! Could we possibly be adding Mickey Mouse to our list of Top Ten Things We Miss?!

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/05/bu...mickey.html?hp
    Ludwig von Baroketch

Fun2BFree is offline C-Ticket Holder

Wonderful show!

• Agree 1000% percent on Lou's assessment of Spaceship Earth. (I'm a Kronkite guy!)
    • I would have included Centorium (EPCOT's communicore) - that shop was ultimate Epcot. Mousegears simply doesn't measure up.

Yensid_Retlaw is offline D-Ticket Holder

Epic Mickey won't change Mickey trust me.

There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow! Just a dream away!

"A Tip of the hat from Dr. Facilier"

"Cause I've got friends on the other side!"

A proud D23 Charter Year member.

And a dedicated Lead Manager at the Disney Store in Georgian Mall, Barrie, Ontario! 3 years! I almost get a Pluto pin!

If I missed the point that it was only about Epic Mickey, then I apologize for the alarmism. I thought the article was about how Epic Mickey will change Mickey Mouse overall, including a correlation with his new house at Disney World.
    Ludwig von Baroketch

Yensid_Retlaw is offline D-Ticket Holder

Well I certainly hope not lol.
    Last edited by Yensid_Retlaw; 11-06-2009 at 01:11 AM.

There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow! Just a dream away!

"A Tip of the hat from Dr. Facilier"

"Cause I've got friends on the other side!"

A proud D23 Charter Year member.

And a dedicated Lead Manager at the Disney Store in Georgian Mall, Barrie, Ontario! 3 years! I almost get a Pluto pin!