Your Walt Disney World Information Station
The WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast Discuss WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast #151 - December 27, 2009 in the The WDW Radio Show forums; Hello and welcome to The WDW Radio Show - Your Walt Disney World Information Station. I am your host, Lou Mongello and this is show #151 for the week of ...
    Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - Disney Expert, Host, Author, Speaker and Entrepreneur

WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast #151 - December 27, 2009

Hello and welcome to The WDW Radio Show - Your Walt Disney World Information Station. I am your host, Lou Mongello and this is show #151 for the week of December 27, 2009. Thank you for tuning in once again. I hope that you and your families had a wonderful holiday.

With 2009 coming to a close, it's time for us to look back at the year in Disney. From changes and additions to Walt Disney World, to new announcements, events, and so much more, join us on our roundtable discussion of our Memorable Moments from 2009 before we look ahead to 2010.

So sit back, relax, and enjoy this week's episode of the WDW Radio Show.
    You can email the show or call the voicemail TOLL FREE at 888-703-2171.

Thanks for listening! Be sure to tune in next week!
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

Re: WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast #151 - December 27, 2009

Listening right now. Hope I don't sound too badly.

http://wewantstheredhead.blogspot.com

LILYCOOL is offline B-Ticket Holder

hey,
    In winter,if you never owned even one pair of elephant paws ,it's really a pity.
    I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. -- Confucius

Goofysgal is offline A-Ticket holder

Great show! I really enjoy the round table discussions. Fantastic musical ending too. You always do it right, Mr. Mongello! Wishing you and your family the very best in 2010.
    Valerie

Past Visits: '72, '85, '91 - offsite; May 03 - VWL; Nov 04 - BCV (new DVC members); May 05 - VWL; March 06 (VWL); Nov 06 (VWL); April 07 (BCV); March 08 (SSR); Jan 09 (VWL); April 09 (AKV); April '10 (AKV/BCV)

Next Trip: April '12 (Kidani Village) for Easter!

Spyne is offline Fastpass Holder

Very memorable and meaningful show to end 2009, Lou! Your roundtable on the most memorable Disney moments of 2009 with Lori, Beci, and Glenn was extremely enjoyable. I agree with everything all four of you said, as the many different events and features that happened this year certainly had meaning to them. While some were good and some unfortunate, it continued to be a very exciting year. As always, keep up the awesome work, Lou, and I know 2010 will be just as much of an awesome year. Have a very Happy New Year to you and your family.
    Keep it cool, and keep moving forward!

Trips to Walt Disney World

1995: Port Orleans French Quarter - 2000: All-Star Music
    2008: Caribbean Beach - 2009: Pop Century
    NEXT TRIP: Sep/Oct 2011 - WDW's 40th Anniversary!

TiggerRPh is offline E-Ticket Holder

Very good show....unfortunately I'm one of those people that don't want to vote and really dislike the new "interactive" parades. I used to love the Disney parades and would experience them on every trip until they came up with the new genre of parades with parade stops...plus they're just so loud and too much screaming by CM's in the parade. I really find them unpleasant so I stay away from them.

As for AIE...I have no desire to watch strangers sing. I'd rather spend time on some rides or attractions.

If others enjoy them....great...just not for me.
    Ray

DVC Member - Since 1995
    Old Key West

M-I-C-K-E-Y....I'm a Disney freak.

Fun2BFree is offline C-Ticket Holder

Good show, but I have to admit, I didn't like the start of it.

The first three most significant Disney events/issues mentioned of 2009 were: D23, new Cruise ship, and Adventurers Club event. I rolled my eyes for that 1/2 hour.

D23 - I don't mind much that it wasn't mentioned how the Disney online community had, say, mixed emotions and responses about D23. And i do believe that the Expo was a major Disney event of 2009. However, the aspect of the expo that was discussed the most were the people you met and the chat/box people. Maybe that was a highlight for the WDW Trivia and Mousefan Travel tables, but that was not even a blip on the screen for Disney 2009. It was like listening to an inside story with "Y'hadda be there" written all over it.

Cruise ship - yes, that was a major announcement for DCL. Of course, that led to the WDW Cruise event discussion. *plug*plug*plug*...

Adventurer's Club event - not a major Disney event, Just a major WDW Radio event.

This first half hour of the year in review simply made me feel like an outsider. I'm fine with that - although I'm a loyal podcast listener and am a fan of the WDW trivia franchise, I also have a life that doesn't allow me to jump around to meets, expos, and cruises - or even spend hours at a time on chats. I'm fine with that. I didn't feel bad or insulted; I just feel like the "Year in Review" podcast wasn't going to be for me.

However, after the first half hour, things went swimmingly. I really enjoyed it.
    I especially appreciated the point of touching on the monorail accident and the loss of a cast member in the accident.

I have to say one thing: Kudos, Lou. It's about time. (If you've seen any of my posts before, you may have remembered my disappointment that that piece of major news was left out of the WDW Information Station.)

I thought I'd add some major Disney news from 2009 that wasn't touched on (in no particular order)

• economy and the parks (layoffs, promotions, cutbacks) - in my opinion, this was the #1 story of the Disney Parks in 2009
    • Disney fan communty's vocal disappointment with D23
    • transportation woes (besides monorail crash - bus crashes, monorail shutdowns, etc.)
    • other significant losses besides Austin Wuennenberg (monorail driver) and Michael Jackson, such as Indiana Jones stunt performer Anislav Varbanov & cast member Mark Priest of the "pirate tutorial", who were both fatally injured in the parks. Of course, how could you forget Wayne Allwine and Roy E. Disney?

Thoughts?

wdwdreams is offline A-Ticket holder

I found this year in review very interesting but I felt throughout it that I wanted to be involved and thus, I am involving myself here.

I believe that the main thing that Disney fans have gained from Disney this year is the corporations ear. D23 I feel was a final recognition of a growing group of bloggers, podcasters, and forumers. Everything from the main convention in Disneyland to the new Disney Parks blog showed Disney was watching and listening in, and really, why shouldn't they? Screaming from the pages of a hundred blogs and forums were the opinions their market researchers had been trying to drag out of people for years. It is very nice nonetheless to think that I, my dint of being a fan, now hold more sway over the Disney corporation. Now, I am not foolish enough to believe that this means they will always listen, we rabid- er, avid fans are just a percent of the visitors Disney Park's welcome each year.

On the subject of what Disney lost in 2009 that I will miss most, it would have to be far and away, Roy E. Disney. Roy has saved the Disney corporation twice, and I always felt with him there that Disney had not only a family member who would protect Walt's often discussed but somewhat ethereal legacy, but someone who would defend the Disney corporation, and sometimes protect it from itself (and, ahem, over zealous CEOs.) Save Disney was literally his battle cry and I fear now there will be no one to step in when Disney needs it. I am glad to see that Disney's corporate climate has changed quite dramatically since that time just five years ago, but I will worry a little more without Roy around.

Hmm, I hope all this made sense, it is nearly four in the morning here (insomnia) but I wanted to say this after listening to the show tonight.