Your Walt Disney World Information Station
The WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast Discuss WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast # 167 – April 25, 2010 - Disney's Magical Express in the The WDW Radio Show forums; Hello and welcome to The WDW Radio Show – Your Walt Disney World Information Station. I am your host, Lou Mongello, and this is show #167 for the week of ...
    Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - Disney Expert, Host, Author, Speaker and Entrepreneur

WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast # 167 – April 25, 2010 - Disney's Magical Express

Hello and welcome to The WDW Radio Show – Your Walt Disney World Information Station. I am your host, Lou Mongello, and this is show #167 for the week of April 25, 2010.

Properly planning your Walt Disney World vacation is crucial, and an important part of that planning needs to focus on not just time spent in the parks, but getting to and from the resort. This week, we’re going to take a look at Disney’s Magical Express, the free bus service to and from the airport. Whether you’re a first time visitor or think you know how Magical Express works, we’ll talk about not just how the the system works, but its pros and cons, how to get the most out of it, and some very important details you need to know before you go.

Next, I’ll call a listener and invite her to play Fact or Fiction, where she can answer Walt Disney World trivia questions for a chance to win some prizes. Play along at home, see how you do, and find out how you can enter for a chance to play on the air as well.

I’ll announce a new product this week, have a few announcements, and then play more of your voicemails at the end of the show, so sit back, relax, and enjoy this week’s episode of the WDW Radio Show

You can email the show at lou@wdwradio.com or call the voicemail TOLL FREE at 888-703-2171.

Thanks for listening! Be sure to tune in next week!
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

RSoxNo1 is offline A-Ticket holder

Re: WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast # 167 – April 25, 2010 - Disney's Magical Express

Great show. Just an FYI - I too am looking for the Haunted Mansion fastpass. I have some from Disneyland, but they aren't as hard to get. If I succeed prior to your acquiring one I'll be sure to send it along.

voyageofariel is offline Annual Passholder

Smile Re: WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast # 167 – April 25, 2010 - Disney's Magical Express

(Insert comment here).
    Last edited by voyageofariel; 07-05-2012 at 11:56 PM.
    Party on Deck 7 with the Cool Kids!!

"We're so glad to see you all, shake the rafters fill the hall! Hoop dee doin' it with all our might! Hoop dee doin it, hoop dee doin it, hoop dee doin it tonight. Ya Hoo!"- Hoop Dee Doo Revue!

cavaliers60 is offline A-Ticket holder

Re: WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast # 167 – April 25, 2010 - Disney's Magical Express

Great episode, Lou! I learned a lot about the DME, and will definitely use that When my future wife and I go on our honeymoon! I remember doing an extra shift back in 2006 in DME luggage. The process is really awesome. We get the luggage (I was working at the All Star Resorts), sort it out according to theme, building number. Then deliver it.

DRC2 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Shelby Twp. , Michigan/ via Hillsboro Oregon

Good Stuff! DME sounds well worth the time. Back in 1997 or so, my wife and I (before she became my wife) were stiffed by the shuttle service (not the Meir's?? spelling?? but the other buggars) as they did not show up to take us to the airport. Fortunately the Disney people showed us why they rock and the Wilderness Lodge ranger gave us our ride in a Disney van and we made our flight!
    The north of the border caller did great with the trivia questions and boy do I wish I could swing trips to Disney as her!! (though I am pleased with my 5 days at Disneyland last week).

Keep up the great work!

TiggerRPh is offline E-Ticket Holder

Great show Lou….but we are unfortunately one of those that DME does not work for us.

The luggage issue is a huge problem for anyone coming from the Midwest or Northeast during the colder months. It is very inconvenient to not have your luggage available when you're leaving temps of < 32 degrees and arriving to temps in the 70's or 80's. You're only allowed so much carry on luggage and having a change of clothes just isn't practical.

I do have an issue with some comments you guys made regarding paying for transportation. First of all…I'm not sure where you got the price but there is no way a one way cab fare to MCO is anywhere near $90. Second of all…the town car prices are for the car not per person. You pay the same price for a town car or a limo regardless of whether you have one person or 6.

I will admit that even if you don't use DME that it's good for everyone in a way. Even if you're getting your own luggage and transportation…it does take less time at Baggage Claim now that all of the DME luggage is taken off before you get Baggage Claim.

The last time we flew to WDW, we had our luggage and were in WDW (at the resort in less than an hour). There is no way DME can beat that.
    Ray

DVC Member - Since 1995
    Old Key West

M-I-C-K-E-Y....I'm a Disney freak.

ccudmore is offline A-Ticket holder

DME is great but a few facts were missed for those from places outside of the U.S.

First off, unless you pre-clear U.S. customs in at your originating airport (like you do in some Canadian cities) you cannot use the yellow tags. Basically if you have to clear customs in Orlando, you have to pick up your own luggage and bring it through customs with you and then load it on the bus.

Also if your final leg of your flight ends up in a location outside of the U.S. (for example if you fly MCO to NY, and the connect onto say London) you cannot use resort luggage checkin on your trip home. Resort luggage checkin is only for 100% domestic flights. You can use it though if you're flying to a border city and then driving across the border (say MCO to Buffalo and then driving to Toronto).

Disney's Folly is offline C-Ticket Holder

Timely show! I just booked my trip but didn't book my Magical Express journey(s) yet as I had potential supplemental trips outside the World planned as well. They have fallen through and I'm now going right from airport to Disney and sadly back to airport for the first time since Magical Express has been in operation. I had a good experience my only other time but didn't use the service to its fullest since I didn't go right to airport after Disney!