Your Walt Disney World Information Station
The WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast Discuss WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast # 169 – May 9, 2010 - Muppets That Never Were in the The WDW Radio Show forums; Hello and welcome to The WDW Radio Show – Your Walt Disney World Information Station. I am your host, Lou Mongello, and this is show #169 for the week of ...
    Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - Disney Expert, Host, Author, Speaker and Entrepreneur

WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast # 169 – May 9, 2010 - Muppets That Never Were

Hello and welcome to The WDW Radio Show – Your Walt Disney World Information Station. I am your host, Lou Mongello, and this is show #169 for the week of May 9, 2010.

With the recent closing of Jim Henson’s Muppet*Vision 3D at Disney’s Hollywood Studios for an unspecified update, it’s a great time to take a look back at the relationship between Disney and the Muppets, including the story of how the Muppets came to Walt Disney World in a variety of ways. We’ll tour the park and explore some of the secrets, stories and history of MuppetVision 3D, Muppet-based shows that are no longer here, the Disney-Henson marriage, as well as “The Muppets That Never Were,” as Jim Korkis and I wander the Studios and discuss some of the proposed concepts that never made it both in and out of the parks. It’s a fascinating live tour of the Muppets in the present, as well as a look back in time, and possibly even into the future of the Muppets in Walt Disney World.

I’ll have a few announcements, and then play more of your voicemails at the end of the show, so sit back, relax, and enjoy this week’s episode of the WDW Radio Show.

You can email the show or call the voicemail TOLL FREE at 888-703-2171.

Thanks for listening! Be sure to tune in next week!
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

voyageofariel is offline Annual Passholder

Smile Re: WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast # 169 – May 9, 2010 - Muppets That Never Were

(Insert comment here).
    Last edited by voyageofariel; 07-06-2012 at 02:10 PM.
    Party on Deck 7 with the Cool Kids!!

"We're so glad to see you all, shake the rafters fill the hall! Hoop dee doin' it with all our might! Hoop dee doin it, hoop dee doin it, hoop dee doin it tonight. Ya Hoo!"- Hoop Dee Doo Revue!

disney_barbie is offline B-Ticket Holder

Re: WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast # 169 – May 9, 2010 - Muppets That Never Were

Loved the show this week Lou (and Jim!) - thank you for all the info and trivia on the Muppets and WDW

My sister and I explored this area of the Hollywood Studios during our trip last December, thought I'd share some photos..

Emma x

Smile Re: WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast # 169 – May 9, 2010 - Muppets That Never Were

(Insert comment here).
    Last edited by voyageofariel; 07-06-2012 at 02:10 PM.

"We're so glad to see you all, shake the rafters fill the hall! Hoop dee doin' it with all our might! Hoop dee doin it, hoop dee doin it, hoop dee doin it tonight. Ya Hoo!"- Hoop Dee Doo Revue!

DRC2 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Shelby Twp. , Michigan/ via Hillsboro Oregon

Once again Lou and Jim hit it out of the park!
    Great show packed with info.! I Love the Muppets and still hold hope that
    Disney will do something great with them!!

Keep up the great work Lou!

(Insert comment here).
    Last edited by voyageofariel; 07-06-2012 at 02:11 PM.

DAR
    DAR is offline Fastpass Holder

Kids today are really being denied just how cool the Muppets were. If you have kids do them and yourselves a favor. Rent the seasons of the Muppet show for them, the Muppet Movie, the Great Muppet Caper and the Muppets Take Manhattan. Great job Lou and Jim.
    WDW Radio Android App.

(Insert comment here).
    Last edited by voyageofariel; 07-06-2012 at 02:11 PM.

DAR
    DAR is offline Fastpass Holder

Lou, one other thing you mentioned in the show was that both Disney and the Muppets represent wholesome family entertainment. And I absolutely agree with that. But both are at their best when they give that knowing nod or wink to the adults watching.
    WDW Radio Android App.

Bubba88 is offline B-Ticket Holder

I've always liked the way the pipes were painted, I found out a few years ago that Jim Henson and Frank Oz painted a closet pipes in either NBC studios or CBS studios in NYC. I just know that it's still there after almost 40 years, and the pipes are painted in muppets 3d as a tribute to them. Lou, great job on the podcast! I wish Disney would push the muppets more. Like Walt, Jim Henson was a visionary man and needs his works to also be celebrated.

cavaliers60 is offline A-Ticket holder

I think Disney is making a big mistake by not putting more Muppets out there. Just think of how awesome that whole area would be if it was completely Muppetized. I would probably spend most of my time there! What about a sing along type show with Kermit and the rest of the muppets. There are endless possibilities there! Can even do special guest shows! I think Disney is just not getting the big picture here...

Disney's Folly is offline C-Ticket Holder

If Disney was playing its cards right, they'd time the release of the next movie (which is likely to get more buzz than anything they've done since the first 3 movies) with some expansion of Muppets in the parks. The movie is coming out in 2012 so they may still have time but not a lot. Lord knows that DHS could use some extra plussing.

(I'd also like to think they have some Tron concepts waiting on a table in the likely scenario that the movie hits big.)