Your Walt Disney World Information Station
The WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast Discuss WDW Radio Show # 177 - July 4, 2010 - Your Walt Disney World Information Station in the The WDW Radio Show forums; Hello and welcome to The WDW Radio Show - Your Walt Disney World Information Station. I am your host, Lou Mongello, and this is show #177 for the week of ...
    Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - WDW Trivia Book Author and Site Owner/Admin

WDW Radio Show # 177 - July 4, 2010 - Your Walt Disney World Information Station

Hello and welcome to The WDW Radio Show - Your Walt Disney World Information Station. I am your host, Lou Mongello, and this is show #177 for the week of July 4, 2010. Happy Independence Day to everyone celebrating in the US and those who may be stationed or living overseas. I proudly dedicate this show to everyone who has ever sacrificed to ensure our continuing freedoms.

Captain EO, starring Michael Jackson, has returned to its home in Walt Disney World, and I had a chance to see the show just days before it opened to the public. This week, we’ll discuss its return, and talk with Disney executives, Imagineers and Guests and get their reactions as well. We’ll look at how the show compares to its 1986 debut and its possible future in Epcot.

I’ll open up the inbox again this week and answer more of your listener emails. Topics include the Nightmare Before Christmas Haunted Mansion overlay, some additional Haunted Mansion trivia, dining choices in Walt Disney World, Winter Summerland, Port Orleans, ticket upgrade options, comparing the Magic Kingdom resorts, and much more.

I'll play more of your voicemails and have a few announcements at the end of the show, so sit back, relax, and enjoy this week's episode of the WDW Radio Show.

You can email the show at lou@wdwradio.com or call the voicemail TOLL FREE at 888-703-2171.

Visit the web site at wdwradio.com and talk about the show by visiting and posting in the WDW Radio Show message forums

Join the fan page on Facebook: http://facebook.com/wdwradio

Follow Lou on Twitter: http://twitter.com/loumongello

Thanks for listening! Be sure to tune in next week!

More...
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

Re: WDW Radio Show # 177 - July 4, 2010 - Your Walt Disney World Information Station

Listening to the show now...

On the voicemail about taking MYW tickets and upgrading to annual passes...there are some issues.

First, you cannot generally take two MYW tickets and apply them to a single ticket (like an AP). So it is possible to upgrade ONE of the tickets at a time to an Annual Pass.

Second, if the tickets from last December were used at all, you cannot upgrade them, EVEN if you had purchased the No Expire option. MYW tickets can not be modified if they were used more than 14 days prior. And if you didn't purchase the No Expire option, then all remaining entitlements have also expired.

If they are unused, however (you perhaps already had tickets or an AP but got them as part of a package), they are still good and can be used/modified/upgraded.

Third, if the tickets given by Disney in response to the letter in any way say there were "comp" or "complementary", they cannot be modified or upgraded at all. If they are standard MYW tickets, no problem.

Of course there are always exceptions, but those are the basic rules. You can always ask the CM.

Other notes:

If you are planning to upgrade a currently unused ticket, USE IT ONCE FIRST *, especially if you know you got it at a cost lower than the current gate price. Disney will bridge the price of a used ticket to the current gate price and you will only need to pay the difference between the current price of the existing ticket and the new ticket.

Lastly, on whether it is worth it...if you will be making a second trip that will completed within 365 days of the day of first use of the original ticket (APs are backdated at upgrade time to the date of first use of the original ticket **), and the total days of both trips are at least 11-12 days, it is generally better to get the AP. The AP has all the extra discounts on rooms, free parking (if you stay off-site), etc. so even a shorter trip can be worth it in some cases.

* Warning: If you have the WPFM option, and don't intend to upgrade to a Premium Annual Pass (which includes water park/DQ admissions), do NOT use it at a water park or DQ first. If any of the WPFM options are used, you can only upgrade to a pass that also includes them.

** Double check what the CM does. Quite a few have lately been backdating all the way to the original purchase date of the ticket, not the date of first use, which is incorrect. If the do this and won't correct it, ask for a manager. If they date it after that date, you've gotten a bonus
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

AdamV is offline A-Ticket holder

Re: WDW Radio Show # 177 - July 4, 2010 - Your Walt Disney World Information Station

I'm listening to the Q&A with Lou & Beci, and I have to totally agree with the question about Haunted Mansion. We were planning on heading to Disneyland for my wife's birthday in September, but when we found it was going to be closed to put up the Nightmare Before Christmas overlay, we both decided that it would take too much away from the trip if we couldn't go. So now we're going to get to see the ride with the overlay.

(Aside: Lou, if you and Beci are going to be there in October 2-6, that's when my trip is scheduled, and we'd love to meet you there!)
    1990-offsite | 2008-Wilderness Lodge (Honeymoon!) | 2009-Port Orleans French Quarter | 2010-Disneyland | 2011-D23 Expo | 2011 - Wilderness Lodge | 2012 - Pop Century

mmouse6937 is offline C-Ticket Holder

Awesome show!! It made me go onto youtube last night and watch the Captain EO visit. All I really remember from originally seeing it was the queen's fingernails coming out at you in 3D I really hope that the show it still around when I head that way in December.

Thanks Lou!
    Sarah

76-84 Two Trips as a Child, '00 Best Western LBV, '01 Best Western LBV, '02 Polynesian (OUR DISNEYMOON!!), '03 CBR, '05 CBR, '06 DisneyLand, '07 POR, 09/08 CBR, 12/08 BC, 09/09 BW, 03/10 POP, 12/10 POP, 11/12 Dream Cruise 2.0

My babies: Nala, Scooter, Pinto, Minnie, Daisy, Dory, and George

"Saving one animal will not change the world, but surely for that one animal the world will change forever"

JohnO is offline C-Ticket Holder

Great show....once again.
    77- Disneyland 89- Disneyland 94- WDW ASSp 95- WDW OKW 98- WDW Hol.Inn MG 99- WDW Off Prop. 06- WDW ASMov 2/8 -2/16 07- WDW Pop 2/4 - 2/14 07- WDW All Star Mus 9/11 - 9/17 08- WDW ASMov 10/27 - 10/30 08- DCL Wonder 10/30 - 11/2 09- WDW AS Mov 9/21 - 9/27 09- DCL Wonder 9/27 - 10/1 10- WDW Off Prop. 4/23- 4/25 10- DCL Magic 7ngt Estrn 10/23-10/30 10- WDW CSR 10/30-11/1 12 - POR 1/8 - 1/15 392 Miles from WDW
    I Survived the 40 Hr Live Show Oct. 1 - 2/2011
    Johnoinsc in 'The Box'

Andre is offline A-Ticket holder

To answer the British listener's question about Port Orleans Riverside removing the trundle beds from Alligator Bayou rooms, this - as you and Beci surmised - is absolutely untrue. In fact, the Office Operations Manager at Riverside stated last year (and I quote) “there is no way that they are going to get rid of the trundle beds.”

The problem is with the UK Disney Booking Office, which to be honest is closer to a commercial travel agent run by Disney as opposed to booking with WDW directly. As such, their choice for the last year or so is not to have any packages or booking options on their system for more than four guests staying in any of the moderates.

Unfortunately, and I've checked this first-hand, the UK phone line staff can sometimes be a little less than forthcoming with the truth when guests enquire, sometimes telling them that the trundle bed facility is no longer available at POR - which is completely untrue, it's just that they can't book it on their system.

See the news story at Port Orleans News for the full details.

Andre
    Port Orleans Riverside is my second home - I never get homesick when I'm there, but it does happen the other way around!

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
    Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

Well, it's not a lot different than calling WDW and asking ticket questions, etc. Call three times, and two of the answers will be wrong, of not all three...the CMs who answer the phones don't actually work at the parks or do any of the complicated transactions, so they really have no idea but they will give you an answer.

Recently someone was told point blank on the phone that if they got a 10-day base ticket instead of the 7-day park hopper, they could use the extra days to park hop.

Others have been told that you can still add days to a ticket that had the No Expire option far into the future (you cannot modify a MYW ticket after 14 days, even with the NE option added).

Yet others have been told you can't upgrade a Give A Day ticket, in contradiction to what is posted on the web page even...

So, no different really if they are in the UK.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news