Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
The WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast Discuss Carousel of Progress--A Must Do or Must Don't? in the The WDW Radio Show forums; Knowing that somewhere on the building, stages, or seating there may be the only Walt Disney fingerprint on a Walt Disney World Attraction, do you make a visit to the ...
    DisneyDom is offline A-Ticket holder

Carousel of Progress--A Must Do or Must Don't?

Knowing that somewhere on the building, stages, or seating there may be the only Walt Disney fingerprint on a Walt Disney World Attraction, do you make a visit to the Carousel of Progress on every Disney World pilgrimage? Has it lived its full life and should be packed away in the archives? Or should it be refurbished and reinvented as Walt hoped all aspects of his parks would do to keep up with technology and culture?

malt is offline Fastpass Holder

Re: Carousel of Progress--A Must Do or Must Don't?

I always make a point of going to see it a couple of times.

Disney.Gen.2.0 is offline B-Ticket Holder

You know, I haven't seen it in awhile. Does the last scene still look like a futuristic 1970's or have they finally upgraded it?

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

I visit the park every year. I'll only do Carousel of Progress once every three years or so.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

It was closed the last two times we visited. But normally, yes, it's a must see for me.

It was closed I was there too one time, and I hadn't heard anything about refurb. I wonder if it's run seasonally, like Sounds Dangerous? With very low turn out, it might not be fiscally sound to operate during some times of the year.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd

Regardless of if it has his fingerprint on it somewhere, the CoP was indeed Walt's own idea from beginning to end.

Us, we love it. We definitely have to do it at least once, if not more, on each trip. My 5-year old son adores the attraction (weird I know). He sits and listens to every word and even sings along with GBBT.

Quote Originally Posted by Disney.Gen.2.0 View Post
    You know, I haven't seen it in awhile. Does the last scene still look like a futuristic 1970's or have they finally upgraded it?
    Still rollerblades, talking stoves and virtual reality I'm afraid. It definitely is due for an update.

Quote Originally Posted by supernova
    It was closed I was there too one time, and I hadn't heard anything about refurb. I wonder if it's run seasonally, like Sounds Dangerous? With very low turn out, it might not be fiscally sound to operate during some times of the year.
    For awhile it was listed as operating seasonally but we've gone "off season" the past few trips and it's been open each time so I think that was maybe temporary. We did it 3 times last month when we went.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

DAR
    DAR is offline Fastpass Holder

Yep when I get the opportunity it something I definitely do.
    WDW Radio Android App.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJenn View Post
    Regardless of if it has his fingerprint on it somewhere, the CoP was indeed Walt's own idea from beginning to end.
    As a general rule of thumb, if it tries to be too educational or is just flat-out boring, Walt had something to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJenn View Post
    Us, we love it. We definitely have to do it at least once, if not more, on each trip. My 5-year old son adores the attraction (weird I know). He sits and listens to every word and even sings along with GBBT.
    It's odd, but no matter how many times they try to get the audience to join in, I have never once been on the attraction and had a single person in the audience sing along. And that's over the past 30 years of visiting the park.

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    It's odd, but no matter how many times they try to get the audience to join in, I have never once been on the attraction and had a single person in the audience sing along. And that's over the past 30 years of visiting the park.
    You've never been on when I was then because my son and I always do.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde

weepstah is offline C-Ticket Holder

CoP was not a must do on every trip that I went on, but as the frequency of my visits declined I always made a point of going on it. The last act may need work but I really enjoy everything else. I also equally like both "The Best Time of Your Life" and "Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow".

I'd love to see a refurb with the following:

1) re-space the acts out to 40 years instead of 20 years. So the 2nd act gets the heave-ho.
    2) tweak the current last act with a ridiculous amount of late 70's/early 80's vibe. I mean, it already has it but amp that up even more. Move it over in the theatre so it's the 3rd act.
    3) New 4th act. Horizons tribute.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

I really like the attraction and we do it at least once. Plus it cools you off while being entertained. It is great to hit during one of those hour long storms too.

I read during the past week on another forum by a respected "Disney Dude" that he believes the entire attraction should return to the original form. I like this form of education. I also believe interactive learning sticks better than just lectures and books.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    I read during the past week on another forum by a respected "Disney Dude" that he believes the entire attraction should return to the original form.
    Y'know it's funny you mention that because we were talking (DH and I) and the further into the future we get, and the more updates made to the final scene as a result, the more unlikely it is that the family has lived that long. I think I agree with the idea of making the final scene what it was originally. As it is, it's set in like the 90s and that family shouldn't be so young looking anymore.

DisneyDom is offline A-Ticket holder

Question Re: Carousel of Progress--A Must Do or Must Don't?

My wife and I visted WDW for New Years 2010. On our trip we rode CoP in mid afternoon which had a very short line. During the Autumn scene of the attraction the ride broke down. We watched that same scene at least 6 or 7 times. Some people found it funny, others frustrating and even one person got so nervous that she got up to leave. Has something like this happened to anyone? Please share any interesting CoP stories.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyDom View Post
    My wife and I visted WDW for New Years 2010. On our trip we rode CoP in mid afternoon which had a very short line. During the Autumn scene of the attraction the ride broke down. We watched that same scene at least 6 or 7 times. Some people found it funny, others frustrating and even one person got so nervous that she got up to leave. Has something like this happened to anyone? Please share any interesting CoP stories.
    Actually saw a video someone posted on YouTube (don't ask me to try to find it ever again though) of that exact thing. The carousel stopped turning so they had to watch the same scene over and over again. When it'd restart everyone would let out a big sigh or laugh.

The only interesting/funny CoP story I personally have is from our trip back in March. Same scene (ironically). Dad's head was near fallen off. At the neck, his entire head was dropped forward. The "skin" over the animatronic was untucked from his collar. What was even funnier was, his mouth and eyes still functioned so he sat there speaking to the table in front of him. I couldn't help but giggle. We told a CM as we got off and they said that someone in the theater before ours reported it and they had stopped filling the attraction (i.e. they were waiting for each theater to empty so they could shut it down and fix it).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast