Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
The WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast Discuss why is wdw rado the best? in the The WDW Radio Show forums; What do you think wdw rado does to seprate itself from anything else as far as disney podcasts go?...
    nicholas is offline Lost in my house

why is wdw rado the best?

What do you think wdw rado does to seprate itself from anything else as far as disney podcasts go?

Disney05 is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Re: why is wdw rado the best?

Just listen and you'll see for yourself. Our Lou is unique in the way he presents things.
    When you wish upon a star.....
    LAUGHTER IS TIMELESS, IMAGINATION HAS NO AGE AND DREAMS ARE FOREVER.
    Adults are only kids grown up, anyway. WD
    ...That's the real trouble with the world. Too many people grow up. WD
    "For those who get it, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation will do."

http://wdwhomesick.wordpress.com/

nicholas is offline Lost in my house

i have listened i just want your opinion.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

I only listen to two Disney podcasts, and both are equally good, IMO.

Lou's tend to keep everything positive, while the other takes a more wart-n-all look at WDW. They are both excellent shows.

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
    Re: why is wdw rado the best??
    As a statement, that is more a matter of opinion rather than a factual question. I'm just saying.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    I only listen to two Disney podcasts, and both are equally good, IMO.

Lou's tend to keep everything positive, while the other takes a more wart-n-all look at WDW. They are both excellent shows.
    Agree.

I compare Lou's Podcast to a Birnbaum travel guide. Warm and Fuzzy only.

My Wart-n-all, is the one I go to for objective reviews, much like the UnOfficial Disney Guide book.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

DVCDad is offline C-Ticket Holder

I listen to wdw radio and wdw news today (used to listen tobetamouse before it closed shop).

One is not "better" than the other, just different in their approaches. Most podcasters will tell you that they aren't in competition with each other, and the more the merrier.

The only Disney podcast i have issues with and refuse to listen to is the DIS unplugged podcast. They have treated me horribly personally and are not worth the time of day. It's more of a cult than a podcast.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Quote Originally Posted by DVCDad
    Most podcasters will tell you that they aren't in competition with each other...
    Except for Mr. Corless, who tends to take immature potshots. It's the only downside to an otherwise excellent podcast.

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    Except for Mr. Corless, who tends to take immature potshots. It's the only downside to an otherwise excellent podcast.
    I agree. I've emailed him about that aspect several times. He does it a lot less, but it's still annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by DVCDad View Post
    I listen to wdw radio and wdw news today (used to listen tobetamouse before it closed shop).

One is not "better" than the other, just different in their approaches. Most podcasters will tell you that they aren't in competition with each other, and the more the merrier.
    I've become a fan of WDWNT also. Also their sight.

Oh but boy, nothing could be farther from the truth as far as competition. It has become big business between them. They all have wares they are peddling, services offered, cruises. All need the following to succeed. More power to them. Just look at when they are voting for best Podcast. The hourly tweets of voting reminders. Lou has posted on the the sight, and rightfully proud, voted best podcast for 6 straight years. Not only is there the sponsors but the in with Disney World itself.

I participated in a WDW Survey over the last month and it listed out which sights I visited and how I ranked those sights. Most of the Big, Popular sights were listed. What did surprise me was that
    WDW Radio was not on the list among Dis MousePlanet, Allears, WDWMagic etc.

As I visit the sights you can tell there is the undertone of which fellow podcasters/sight owners they are very friendly with and which ones there is tension.

but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

I agree. I've emailed him about that aspect several times. He does it a lot less, but it's still annoying.
    I thought they did a great disservice to Swiss Family Treehouse a few weeks back.

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post

Oh but boy, nothing could be farther from the truth as far as competition. It has become big business between them. They all have wares they are peddling, services offered, cruises. All need the following to succeed. More power to them. Just look at when they are voting for best Podcast. The hourly tweets of voting reminders. Lou has posted on the the sight, and rightfully proud, voted best podcast for 6 straight years. Not only is there the sponsors but the in with Disney World itself.

I participated in a WDW Survey over the last month and it listed out which sights I visited and how I ranked those sights. Most of the Big, Popular sights were listed. What did surprise me was that

As I visit the sights you can tell there is the undertone of which fellow podcasters/sight owners they are very friendly with and which ones there is tension.
    All of which I find hilarious and intriguing, as we've spoken about before.

Just goes to show that Disney geeks are just as flawed as everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post

They all have advertisers, and some have their own trips and merchandise. That's how they make their money. But no one expects you to only listen to one show. I stay away from the uber negative Dis Unplugged because they are extremely arrogant and think they know better than anyone else, but other than that, I'll give anyone's show a shot.

I think you missed my point. Yes, most of the sights have sponsors. They maybe insignificant sponsors or powerhouse sponsors like Mouse Fan Travel. MFT has the umpf to put up trips for Lou to give away all the while getting viewership to some long live shows. The man is very good at what he does in all aspects. Others, not so much. The smaller the followers the less they get. If few follow them, who would buy the books, audio tapes, private tours? Trips, ya they can do it just for fun, but a big time boards garner far more bookings resulting in far more comp'd trips for the sponsors. Big time Podcasters and Travel Agents get invited to the D23 fold, to the Grand Openings of Hawaii. Others are just not. Disney was very selective as to who they chose to be on their new forum boards. When it comes to voting for best Podcasts you don't see them say don't forget to vote for my competition, they want to win. Who wouldn't? In less than 10 years and two Trivia Books, look what Lou built. It is amazing. That is a big business mind, not just a friendly community. It takes a lot of intelligence to make it in this overly saturated "Disney" market.

Now Lou is very good about not stepping on toes, as is Deb at All Ears. Neither of them competed with each other over their cruises. Lou very politely stuck with the Dream as All Ears launched their Fantasy trip.

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

They all have advertisers, and some have their own trips and merchandise. That's how they make their money. But no one expects you to only listen to one show. I stay away from the uber negative Dis Unplugged because they are extremely arrogant and think they know better than anyone else, but other than that, I'll give anyone's show a shot.
    For a second there, you nearly had me sold. Negative and arrogant? That's something I can get behind. So I just did a search for their podcast and listened to it. Well, to the first three minutes. I didn't find it to be negative or arrogant. But then, there was absolutely no way I was going to stick around to find out, either. What the helI was that? When I say I stopped it at three minutes and seven seconds into the podcast, that is exactly where I clicked the little X and closed out the site. The host introduced what sounded like nine people who were all going to be a part of today's show. I'm sorry podcast hosts, but it doesn't take more than two, maybe three (maybe) to do a show. There's another show (I can't remember which one) where four guys all host, and the podcast is only 15-20 minutes long. Really? Four people to put together fifteen minutes of material? And every now and again they'd add a woman with a really annoying voice and nothing to contribute. So that's five people all talking over eachother trying to fill fifteen minutes. Brilliant.

But back to these Dis Unplugged people. So the host names a bunch of people, and then for the next minute, a bunch of hens start cackling over each other. Then when he finally rails them in, he asks if they have any housekeeping to get out of the way. And one of them launches into material that she is supposed to be covering later on in the show. Luckily he cuts her off and tells her to save it for later. Now, I don't know if she's a regular or if she is a guest today, but wow, no one covered the format with her ahead of time? I think we all know what would be considered "housekeeping". And no, your entire segment would not be one of them.

So then we get a bunch of women gabbing about nothing the host talking about how he and his boyfriend got married, the women continuing to contribute inane tidbits, and then the fun begins. Maybe. The host says that one of the women is now going to read the news. And that is precisely what she does. She...reads...the...news...just...like...this. Robert...Sherman...died...at...the...age... Really? You can't free talk about the death of Robert Sherman? You can almost see her finger following the words as she reads them. Stick to podcasting, because you have no future as a TV news anchor. And that, friends, is where I had to turn it off. Three minutes of unlistenable material that I somehow listened to. Their topics were to be one of the show participant's day at the park during the One More Day promotion, Tables in Wonderland (which I still don't understand yet somehow I don't care to and do not feel like I'm missing out), and the host's trip about one of the cruise ships. So an "entertaining" show is going to be two trip reports and this Wonderland thing? I don't know how long they were planning on doing the show for, but I can't be bothered finding out. A podcast should never go over 45 minutes to an hour. Anything more than that is overkill, rambling, and a demonstrated inability on the part of the host to keep his/her thoughts concise and direct.

So, there you go. One man's honest opinion of a show mentioned in this thread. Any others you can recommend I check out? I barely have time to listen to podcasts as it is (my commute is on two trains and a ferry, each for an interrupted half hour so I can't get into anything for long, and when I'm home my wife is not going to want to listen to Disney podcasts, so that doesn't leave many, if any, opportunities), but I am open to suggestions.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast