Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
The WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast Discuss 7 wonders of walt disney world in the The WDW Radio Show forums; I give a big kudos too! Good job. I'd say SE is my #1. A sphere, above ground, with 6 supports digging underground. The drainage system...the interior...amazing... That's why I ...
    alalune042 is offline Fastpass Holder
    I give a big kudos too! Good job. I'd say SE is my #1. A sphere, above ground, with 6 supports digging underground. The drainage system...the interior...amazing...

That's why I want to be a structural engineer!
    NADIA

a dream is a wish your heart makes

Britt is offline A-Ticket holder
    does anybody have the video of the top 7 attractions with Stacey??

Veritas is offline Real Men Dig the Mouse
    1. Imagineering in general. Those folks created whole worlds out of central Florida swamp. The Feat is a wonder in itself

2. Illuminations

3. Fantazmic

4. Wishes at Cinderellas Castle

5. SE

6. TOL

7. Expedition E
    Veri S&B LLC WHAFTFCOL

SITTM, No Retreat, No Surrender!

Our Highly Trained Experts Are Always Prepared To "Assist" You.

nicks_ahoy is offline Jungle VIP
    Mine are:
    1. Disney World (in general)- it's a wonder how awesome it is?
    2. Imagineers- They are wonderful when it comes to details?
    3. CM's- it's even more of a wonder how they can deal with all the annoying? tourists?
    4. Mickey Mouse- how does just one mouse bring people so much joy?
    5.Attractions- why do people keep coming back when the lines are huge and the cost is high?
    6.Need- is it possible to become addicted to a place?
    7. Trivia- How can people remember such odd yet true facts about this place?
    Of course to most of us the answer to all of the above is some disney magic and a pinch of pixie dust.lol
    Last edited by nicks_ahoy; 11-27-2006 at 03:51 PM.

EpcotNut is offline A-Ticket holder
    Here it is -

7. The Monorail System / Contemporary Resort - Such a perfect display of the Utopia that Walt Disney envisioned. Nothing else in the world quite like it.

6. The Living Seas - I think one of the most impressive and ambitious creations in WDW. *Note - I have yet to see it with Nemo and Friends, so I reserve my right to change this choice.

5. Expedition:Everest - The combination of the mountain range combined with the re-creation of the Serka Zong Bazzar is one of, if not the most, the greatest examples of "Disney details" ever created.

4. Kilimanjaro Safari - The fact that there is an entire 100 acre savanah created in Central Florida says it all. The methods used to "display" the animals is also among the most creative and ambitious used by Imagineers.

3. Main Street, USA - Nothing sets the stage better for an entire day or trip the way this MS, USA does. The details that are adhered to and the emotions it evokes cannot be compared. The fact that every amusement/theme park has copied it since says alot about it's significance.

2. Spaceship Earth - This may be more a personal choice than anything. It's just an amazing sight/technological marvel. Walking beneath it gives you a sensation that is indescribable. The ride itself has as much charm and personality as anything in all of WDW.

1. Space Mountain & The Carousel of Progress - In my opinion, these 2 anchors of Tomorrowland, despite being complete opposites, are linked in very unique ways. Besides being placed next to ech other, they both speak volumes of how the vision of the future, through Disney's eyes, is perpetual. In other words, while these attractions may be "outdated" by today's standards, the fact that they have stood the test of time and remained in operation and (in the case of SM) remained popular may be the greatest tribute to Walt Disney's legacy that exist.

disneydarling is offline ...and the mome raths outgrabe
    1. The utilidor system and the fact that the entire magic kingdom is actualy elevated above ground is amazing, showing both creative engineering and amazing foresite.

2. The Spoke and Hub layout of Magic Kingdom was the first of it's kind and has been imitated countless times by lesser parks.

3. Animatronics - Walt Disney was the first to use these entertaining robots in an amusement park and their presence adds so much to every attraction. Even the earliest characters are startilingly life like (think the hairy leg guy on PotC)

4. Space Ship Earth - the engineering that went into building this giant sphere is mind boggling to say the least

5. The monorail system - "Por favor mantenganse alejado de las puertas!"

6. The concept of Imagineering as a profession

7. On property hotels and entertainment - again a concept invented by WDW

oh....and the eigth wonder of the worlds
    those sinfully delicious mickey bars!!!
    Sisterhood of the traveling pirate in the pants: charter member

A friend will help you mend a broken heart; a best friend will get a shovel and help you dig the hole.

mrmagicmph is offline A-Ticket holder
    These are definitely in no particular order:

1) The WEDway People Mover (yes, I know, it's the Tomorrowland Transit Authority, but, as someone who first went to the Magic Kingdom in SEPTEMBER 1971, before the official opening, it will ALWAYS be WEDway). VERY cool application of technology to move people w/o pollution, I just wish that it was used A LOT more!

2) The Monorail (just, sorry, but how cool is it !!!)

3) The Contemporary Resort. Bet many of you are going, the CONTEMPORARY is a wonder??? Well, it is. The A-frame was built... the rooms were completely built SEPARATELY, and then they used a crane to insert each room individually. If that's not a wonder, I'm not sure what is!

4) The WISHES Fireworks. VERY wonderful fireworks show, & brings tears to my eyes & my wife's every time we hear the music.

5) Its a Small World. Funny, it's a ride with a song that you can't get out of your head, but, its what the world Walt wanted to see "should" be, all the kids (of ALL ages) actually learning to get along & "sing from the same sheet of music".

6) Spaceship Earth. Amazing how they built it and how they channel water, etc, on it so that you never get drenched from it when it rains.

& #7 probably SHOULD be #1: The Cast Members of Walt Disney World (especially 2 in particular, but, the group as a whole will get the credit). With VERY few exceptions, they are the definition of what customer service SHOULD be, something that far too many people have forgotten these days. While the Disney Company has raised prices past nosebleed levels all the way to the interface of atmophere and space, the Cast Members are doing everything possible to make the magic real. The two special cast members that I have to say are the living embodiment of pixie dust are Art, the Greeter at Disney's Beach Club & practically an icon (he's been at the Beach Club forever, & has never failed to be wonderful!), and Linda from the Crystal Palace, a wonderful woman who's been a Walt Disney World Cast Member since the soft opening in September 1971, one of only 16 or so cast members who have spent 35 years at Walt Disney World. They truly both work to set the standard that all cast members really should be striving for.

There are several more that I can think of, but, I'd say this is a pretty fair sampling.

dbm20th is offline D-Ticket Holder
    If you are looking for something else to read, I started posting these on my site, Mouse Extra, the link is below.

Just as a little background, I view this topic as literally as possible. 7 wonders of WDW. So I did not include anything like Splash, Haunted Mansion, or Pirates. Those are wonders of Disneyland impprted here. I am sticking with things either unique to WDW, developed there or debuting there.
    "You are not the first to pass this way..."

Mouse Extra
    determined to feed the Disney Addiction
    http://www.mouseextra.com/

Bump! While listening to mousetunes Jan 7th, I was wondering if this thread is going to be continuous so we can come up with the other 6? Although almost everyone here has posted already about the contemorary, I think it should definately be on the top 7. Here are just a mere two reasons why...

First, it's structure. Its outer walls are slanted, which in itself is an engineering marvel. I'm not 100% sure about this, but since its walls are slanted, the hotel rooms were inserted after the building was built with a crane.

Second, the fact that the monorail travels through the inside of the resort. It's truely amazing.
    Any other thoughts or points about this resort (that haven't been mentioned)? I'm sure wikipedia has a million facts.
    NADIA

DaddyBrady is offline A-Ticket holder
    Okay, I'm game. I compiled all the "votes" from the people who have submitted a list of wonders (which, by my count, is 19 people, not counting Lou). There is basically unanimity on Spaceship Earth (18 of 19). Then there are four that emerge as consensus favorites:
    • Tree of Life - appears on 11 lists
    • Cinderella's Castle - 9
    • Monorail - 9 (some put this as both Contemporary Resort and Monorail)
    • Tower of Terror - 9
    So, this would seem to give us a consensus on at least five of the seven. But, I have to say I'm not completely convinced by the Monorail (with or without the Contemporary Resort). Maybe because I live in Seattle, where we have our own, I don't think of the Monorail as all that wondrous. And the Contemporary just seems dated to me. (Although, when I was in WDW early this month, I saw it at night from the boat on the way to Magic Kingdom from the Wilderness Lodge, and have to say I'm reconsidering that opinion.)

Reflecting on this a bit, I think one thing "we" might consider in this thread is what makes a wonder? What are the criteria to use? In my original posting, I listed five that applied to the wonders of the ancient world. No Wonder would necessarily meet all five, but having the criteria would allow us to understand why X is a wonder while Y might not be.

Anyone? What makes something wondrous to you?
    "A dream is a wish your heart makes."
    Disneyland Resort | 1996, 2003
    Disneyland Resort Paris | 2002
    Walt Disney World | 2005, 2006, 2007

mrp4352 is offline D-Ticket Holder

I wonder...

I am not submitting a full 7 wonders, mostly because some of what I would say has been said (and said and said, at least the 18 of 19 statistic.)

Wishes - anything that can move me to tears just by listening to the music when I'm at home in traffic has got to be something special.

Christmas Time - so joyous, beautiful and welcoming. The Yuletide Fantasy Tour is an especially good way to experience this.

the small stuff - leaf prints in walkways, trash cans that match their surroundings, a water fountain that offers a twist of lemon, hidden Mickey's

The welcome signs on the highway as you cross over officially into Disney property - come on, we all say it, "We're really here!!"
    Please move as far to the end of the row as possible. Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic!

There are water fountains that have a twist of lemon in them?!
    NADIA

mrp4352 is offline D-Ticket Holder

Sorry, no...

Quote Originally Posted by alalune042 View Post
    There are water fountains that have a twist of lemon in them?!

It just offers you a twist of lemon with it! :-) It's one of the fountains outside of the Character Connection at Epcot (heading towards the Land, you'll find it on the left just past the stage area).
    Please move as far to the end of the row as possible. Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic!

crcormier is offline A-Ticket holder
    In no particular order:

1) Spaceship Earth - as others have said so well, a marvel of engineering, and an enjoyable and educational dark ride, slowly becoming a thing of the past.

2) Illuminations - My favorite and the most moving nighttime show of WDW, in my opinion.

3) Expedition Everest - Currently the best thrill ride in the parks. My only nitpick about it is when you first get to the top and stop for the track to switch, I wish they had put in some greater animatronic or other type of distraction so it wasn't so apparent what is going to happen.

4) The original vision of E.P.C.O.T. - I love going by that model in the people mover, and can only wonder what would have happened if Walt had survived another ten years to make it a reality.

5) Space Mountain at Disneyland Paris - Okay, it's not in WDW, but for those who have never seen this, imagine Space Mountain crossed with Rock N' Roller Coaster. The storyline is Jules Verne's Shot to the Moon, your car is 'loaded' in the cannon on the side of Space Mountain, and then you are shot to the top before you dive inside of it. Combine it with a great soundtrack, and voila, amazing!

6) The Haunted Manion - Some of the greatest artwork, simple yet clever effects, and fantastic inside jokes.

7) The Utilidors - An amazing concept to make the Magic Kingdom more magical. And the thought of it always makes me jealous that I don't work there.
    Last edited by crcormier; 01-23-2007 at 11:13 AM.

bigbrian-nc.com is offline WDW: A History In Postcards
    I don't have my own top 7 but I am a little surprised that now one has mentioned all the water projects that preceeded much of the other work on property,one person mentioned the The Seven Seas Lagoon, it wasn't even a lake before they started they dug the lake, and used the earth removed to raise the leved of the Magic Kingdom. but there's also the system of canals that keeps the water level much more constant than it was when the area was just swampland, or the related complete dregging of Bay Lake (they blocked off half of it drained it and cleaned out the muck, then re-filled it blocked off the other half drained it and dredged it out, and then ther there are the Water Bridges both the one between the seven seas lagoon and bay lake and the one over by Epcot.

Walt Disney World: A History in Postcards

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast