Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
WDW Theme Parks Discuss 1st ride for kids in the Vacation Planning forums; Hi everyone, My wife and I are expecting our first child in July. In fact in a few hours we should find out for sure if he/she is a he ...
    wdwfan1313 is offline B-Ticket Holder

1st ride for kids

Hi everyone,

My wife and I are expecting our first child in July. In fact in a few hours we should find out for sure if he/she is a he or she, altough in an earlier ultrasound brain formation was clearly visible so I'm 99% sure he/she is a he.(the attending nurse did not find this remark funny either) Anyways I'm already planning his/her first trip to the world and my question is what should his/her first ride be. I would love it to be Pirates but I can't remember if there are any height restrictions. My wife would like it to be the yet to be built "Oprah presents: Journey Into the Mistake it was to Marry Your Father Starring the Nurse from the Ultrasound sponsered by your Grandmother". Of course we're not going to take a newborn to the world so when we finnaly return he/she will be a year and few months old. Anyone have any ideas.

P.S. I appologize for the above post for obvious reasons. I lost my job on Monday and am going crazy with a very odd combination of stress and boredom. I've decided to call it stroredom.

P.P.S. If anyone has a job opening I'll take it.

sdale1227 is offline Thank you... Flora Call Disney.... for giving us Walt!
    For the first ride, it should be a classic, like it's a small world, lots of cool things to look at but not to much turbulence which would be great for a infant, or Dumbo is pretty tame. There is always the carousel or the teacups. Save the COOL / FAST rides for when you go when their older!!!!!!

Good Luck and Have a great time!!

PS: If the brain was large... has to be a GIRL!!!!!

Have a Magical Day! Sharon

"You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality." Walt Disney
    Been to Disney in 1975, 1985, 1988, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007......

disneydarling is offline ...and the mome raths outgrabe
    Ha! Your post cracked me up! I just took my son (age 19 months) for his first time last Saturday...we rode the carosel first, followed by the Indy Speedway (loved it), TTA, Peter Pan (a little scary), Dumbo, and Pooh.

While PotC is a great ride the small drop at the start and the darkness can be a bit much for the under 3 set.

PS - Congrats on the new baby, let us know when you find out if its a minnie or a mickey!
    Sisterhood of the traveling pirate in the pants: charter member

A friend will help you mend a broken heart; a best friend will get a shovel and help you dig the hole.

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd
    My trip (that is in less than 2 weeks) will be my son's first and he is just over 10 months old. My plan is to make his first ride the TTA. I figure it's something sort of familiar, like riding in the car, but will get him used to the idea of moving while being held by mommy or daddy instead of in his car seat. Then we'll slowly progress to things like Pooh and Snow White and then try the carousel and Dumbo and see how things go.

Good luck and congratulations!! If ever you need any baby advice, don't hesitate to ask.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

ky71 is offline C-Ticket Holder
    My youngest son's first ride (by chance not planned) was Aladdin's magic carpets. He was just seven months old (April 2006)and he loved it. We then took him on Pooh, teacups(not a good choice), Pirates and IASW. A great night was had by the whole family and we left the WDW parks at 1.30am...it wasn't even closed yet!
    My elder sons first experience at Disney was Disneyland Paris. He enjoyed many things but Dumbo was his first at 18months of age.
    My daughter did not visit a Disney park until the day she turned 3 when we went to Disneyland. Her first ride was the Jolly Trolley but only after we had met Mickey and Minnie in their homes first!
    I believe any age is great for visiting the world. For all ages their is something special from people watching to fireworks and all the fun activities in between. Check out the Lion King show - all ages including babies are kept spellbound by Disney magic. Never pass up an opportunity....go, go, go. Have fun.
    Kylee

wdwfan1313 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Thanks for the great advice everyone. I never thought of the TTA but it's a great idea. It's one of my favorites, very tame, classic Disney and very easy to take the obligatory first ride pictures and videos. The trip is a long ways off anyhow so plenty of time to think about it. Or in other words my wife is tired of my only excitement regarding our upcoming blessing being tied to Disney. He/She is now almost officially a she. This stands to only confirm that this is the worst week of my life. I lost my job, Nature Valley's long awaited foray into breakfast cereals was an utter disapoinment, I have discovered that daytime television is not at all what I had dreamt it be, and now my bouncing baby boy is infact a girl. Which to anyone who cares (doubtful that there are any of such inclination) will serve to completely polarize the political dynamic in my home. I'd better end now before the entire online Disney community black lists me. Besides, I need to call Disney to book a PS at Cinderella's Royal Table which in light of recent developments is now an obsolute moral impairitve.

P.S. I again apologize for the above post for the same reasons as before... and now well I guess many more as well.

P.P.S. We are thinking about naming our baby girl Keirra after Nathan.

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd
    LOL! Well, look at it this way... you'll be able to buy all the absolutely adorable princess outfits and hats and wands etc. for your little girl. This is something that I can't do with my son (unless I want my husband to divorce me) and I wish there was something equivalent, other than pirates. Instead I've given in to buying the cute princess outfits for my friend's daughter just so I can see her enjoy them!
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

First Timer is offline I saw the Mouse now I want to go back!
    Well i think it's aboy/or a girl is great.I think her first ride should be it's a small world.
    Loni

First Trip- Jan. 07, POFQ
    Second Trip- May 08, Pop Century

kebdal23 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    I have children ages 2-11. Our upcoming trip on April 28th will be my 2 and 4 year olds' first trip to Disney.

We are starting with Dumbo. Both because it's tame, and because we want to avoid long lines for the ride. Next will be Peter Pan, and then Pooh. After the carousel and It's A Small World, I think they'll be ready to move onto bigger and better things like POTC. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big kid at heart and could spend my whole day in Fantasyland, but my husband, 11-yr-old, and two 9-yr-olds might strangle me if that happens.

Good luck!
    Katie (33) and Elvis (41)
    DS Casey Michael (14)
    DS Tyler Anthony (12)
    DS Adisa Andwele (7)
    DS Jelani Aitan (5)
    DD Due August 25th!

DL: 1982, 1992, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004, May 2008, Nov 2009
    WDW: 1999, May 2007, ~Oct 2010~

Creambunni is offline It's a small world after all...
    I think a good first pick would be It's a Small World because it has all the bright colors and dolls to entertain the young ones, plus it's really easy to take video or pictures on the ride, so you can capture your child's face on their very first attraction. Awww...
    "It's a small world after all..."

firemedic is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    I also think IASM would be good to start with. Or, one of my personal favs, Tomorrowland Transit Authority.

You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.
    Walt Disney

WASPDADUK is offline A-Ticket holder
    Got to be small world took my sun on it on our first trip 7 years ago, we will be back again in August and he says do we have to ??? You bet we do!!!! it was closed our last visit ,This is what Disney is all about. Good luck mate and have fun

nrose101 is offline Lez Do It!
    Quote Originally Posted by wdwfan1313 View Post

P.P.S. We are thinking about naming our baby girl Keirra after Nathan.
    Woo Hoo!
    Sincerely,

Nathan M Rose
    Owner of MagicalMountain, FlickDirect, Co-Host of The Award Winning MouseTunes Disney Podcast (Keep Babbling Forever!), and last but not least Co-Host of the Magical Definition Podcast.

Cinderella2 is offline Thrilled to know there are others who sparkle!
    The train. Start on the train. Then year after year it can become a tradition for your family that will never become lame. What a blessing for you to have a princess! Best wishes that she is healthy and happy. Oh, by the way, didn't you hear you can apply for your dream job at Disney? So, maybe the whole losing the job thing is just a nudge for you to find your happy place.
    Train, start on the train.

Winnie is offline Fastpass Holder
    Dumbo......then Small World.....then train ride.
    BETH ~ I BELIEVE in Make Believe,Dreams & Wishes
    Is It time To Go Back Yet??
    Happy DVC Member - Beach Club Villas
    BCV - October 2011 - Family Trip & Food & Wine Festival (Met up with Lou and the Walk-about Crew! Met Deanna!
    Met the Petermans!)
    BCV - October 2010 - Family Trip & Food & Wine Festival and MNNSHP!!!
    BCV - June 2009 - Family Trip
    BCV - October 2008 - MNNSHP-Just the two of us!
    BCV - May 2008 - Flower & Garden/Epcot - Just the two of us!
    BCV - January 2008 - Marathon Weekend - Just the two of us! (We finally got to meet Lou & his wonderful family)
    BCV - May 2007 – Family Trip, Flower & Garden/Epcot and Star Wars!!!
    BCV - October 2006 – Family Trip, Anniversary, Food and Wine/Epcot & MNSHHP!!!!
    ASM & BCV - June 2006 – Family Trip, Flower & Garden/Epcot and Star Wars!!!
    BCV - October 2005 - Family Trip, Anniversary, Food and Wine/Epcot & MNSHHP!!!!
    OKW & BWV - March 2005 - Quick and needed fun trip! Just the two of us!
    BCV - June 2004 - Family Trip
    BCV - October 2003 - Family Trip, Anniversary, Food and Wine/Epcot & MNSHHP!!!!
    BC - Honeymoon- April 2002
    Off Site - 1997 - I was a poor college student staying with my favorite aunt!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast