Your Walt Disney World Information Station
WDW Theme Parks Discuss Discovery Island in the Vacation Planning forums; We stay at FT Wilderness alot. It has really turned into a bitter-sweet boat ride to the Magic Kingdom. As I look to my left I see the ghost town ...
    Wedway71 is offline A-Ticket holder

Discovery Island

We stay at FT Wilderness alot. It has really turned into a bitter-sweet boat ride to the Magic Kingdom. As I look to my left I see the ghost town that was once River Contry and to my right I see the deserted Discovery Island. I put my WDI cap on and thought about what could I possibly do with Discovery Island. Honeymoon Cottages! A secluded romantic get-a-away. I'm sure the Imagineers could figure out how to work out details. Thoughts? Any other Imagineering ideas?
    Last edited by Wedway71; 06-03-2007 at 11:41 AM.

JQuatt21 is offline E-Ticket Holder
    I agree with you... They need to do somehing with River Country more than discovery island. My opinion is that they should leave discovery island alone. I was a fan of it too but I think it would be better to leave nature and that little island alone. However, they definetely need to do something with river country. I know that disney has two other waterparks, but maybe they should open it back up and have it be a part of the wilderness lodge/fort wilderness resorts or just take it out and replant the trees etc... and have it just be woods if they are not going to do anything with it. Disney is always clean about things so I think that for them to leave this abandoned for so long, is sloppy and unlike disney.... Good Question and thread wedway71
    Disney's Polynesian Resort - 1984, 1985, 1987, 1988, 1994
    Disney's Contemporary Resort - 1986, 1997
    Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa - 1989, 1991, 1992
    Orange Lake Resort & CC (Off Property)- 2002, 2003, 2005
    Disney's Wilderness Lodge 2007
    Disney's POP Century Resort 2012
    Disney's Beach Club Villas 2012

GIOny is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    I remember going to Discovery Island and it seemed like a place to get away from it all. I think they should clean it up and do something with it but maybe somehow keep the theme of getting away from it all going. It seems if Disney could just take a breather from building all these DVC resorts and do something with Discovery Island and River Country it would greatly benefit the area and in the long run their wallets.
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible!

nicks10 is offline @nick_straka
    Theres so many animals out there that it would be a huge project to try and fix it up and clear out all the overgrown plants.
    -Nick

"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy"

Maestr034 is offline D-Ticket Holder
    If River Country and Discovery Island were making money for Disney they would still be open. The reason they closed to begin with is they cost more to operate than they brought in. The only way either place could be profitable is a major overhaul and I do not see that happening any time soon.
    [CENTER]
    The Maestro
    Married at The Disney Wedding Pavilon
    6-4-05

JQuatt21 is offline E-Ticket Holder
    Everyone has valid points, but Disney is never one to let an attraction just sit there and look sloppy. Discovery island, noone sees but River Country you can see all the slides and stuff still there. At least clean it up or rip out the stuff and re plant trees or something there so at least it looks clean u know?!
    Disney's Polynesian Resort - 1984, 1985, 1987, 1988, 1994
    Disney's Contemporary Resort - 1986, 1997
    Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa - 1989, 1991, 1992
    Orange Lake Resort & CC (Off Property)- 2002, 2003, 2005
    Disney's Wilderness Lodge 2007
    Disney's POP Century Resort 2012
    Disney's Beach Club Villas 2012

Maestr034 is offline D-Ticket Holder
    I'll agree with you there if you aren't going to use it than get rid of it.
    [CENTER]
    The Maestro
    Married at The Disney Wedding Pavilon
    6-4-05