Your Walt Disney World Information Station
WDW Theme Parks Discuss Viewing launches from WDW in the Vacation Planning forums; I just saw the following about Sea World. It sounded pretty cool. I was wondering if anyone's been in the parks at WDW during a shuttle launch, and if they ...
    tizzo is offline E-Ticket Holder

Viewing launches from WDW

I just saw the following about Sea World. It sounded pretty cool. I was wondering if anyone's been in the parks at WDW during a shuttle launch, and if they do anything at all to acknowledge the event, such as tell you it's happening, where in the sky to look, etc.

Orlando Sentinel - SeaWorld's shuttle salute by

aph
    aph is offline Fastpass Holder
    Was at downtown disney for one. Didn't know it was going to launch that night. Found out by people saying there goes the shuttle. It was like a really bright star. Really, too far away to get really excited about it.

jacketsfan683 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Its not the shutle but there is a rocket taking off the last day of our trip. We a talking about going over to Cocoa Beach to watch it.
    Eric

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    A number of us were treated to a shuttle launch while we were at the DWT Family Reunion at Epcot! It was an amazing night launch - I know there are photos on here somewhere. They didn't do anything special to acknowledge it that I am aware of - no announcements or anything. But there was no missing the incredible orange glow or the streak across the sky!
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

dcr
    dcr is offline A-Ticket holder
    Saw a day launch from Tomorrowland. A bit too far away to pick out any details, but the trail that it left was impressive.

jcv229 is offline A-Ticket holder

Atlantis Launch 6/8/07 (Bring Binoculars)

Was at WDW for the most recent launch of Space Shuttle Atlantis. The only real mention was in the hotel lobby they had the tv's tuned to launch coverage and a print out saying the time and direction to look. It was a daytime launch and really was spectacular. I have seen a few from the Gulf Coast side of Florida, and seeing it from Disney is much better. There is no sound, but you cannot miss the huge plume going into the sky, the SRB's separating, and then a bright twinkling star continuing. If you have the change drive to cocoa beach for the full effect, but if not just remember to pack some binoculars, I had just regular 7x35 compact sized ones, just like you'd take to a football game. It really makes a huge difference and can make it more eenjoyable for kids too. You can see the orbiter and it's components, and can clearly make out the SRB's and their parachutes after seperation. I found I was watching the shuttle for a good 2 minutes beyond what could be seen with the naked eye. But overall the plume is the most impressive and like on TV, big and unmistakable.

jcv229 is offline A-Ticket holder

Shuttle landings

This thread made me think of another thing: Do they psot notice of when the shuttle lands? You can't really see it, but you can definately HEAR it!! The twin sonic booms as it passes overhead are enough to rattle windows too.

mrp4352 is offline D-Ticket Holder
    We got to see a night launch last December. We were at the Magic Kingdom waiting for Wishes to start. No announcement was made, but suddenly, there was an excitement in the crowd, people started pointing and we all watched the shuttle going up and cheered together! it was a fantastic moment!
    Please move as far to the end of the row as possible. Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic!

DisneyDreamer13 is offline A good friend gets you out of jail, a great friend wakes up next to you!
    6,976km from Cinderella Castle / 408km from Sleeping Beauty Castle
    I've been in MK when a launch was due, the CM's at BTMRR were keeping us updated as they were fed info over their radios, but the launch was cancelled with about 5 mins to go. It went up the next day while i was busy feeding dolphins at Sea World, without information we totally missd it.
    I've also seen a launch from somewhere near Kennedy, not too sure where, we just followed the local cars and ended up with a great view, just water between us and the launch platform.
    x FIONA x
    1989 WDW Offsite1990 WDWOffsite1991Offsite/Contemporary1992 EuroDisney Offsite(schooltrip)
    1992 WDW Offsite/GrandFloridian2001 DLP Davy CrocketRanch2008 Offsite villa/Contempoary
    2009DLP Hotel Santa Fe 2010Clearwater/get married/POR
    Sisterhood of the travelling pirate in the pants

tiggerguy is offline All Around Good Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by disneydame2004 View Post
    A number of us were treated to a shuttle launch while we were at the DWT Family Reunion at Epcot! It was an amazing night launch - I know there are photos on here somewhere. They didn't do anything special to acknowledge it that I am aware of - no announcements or anything. But there was no missing the incredible orange glow or the streak across the sky!
    Here are some of the photos I took at the DWT Meet. They are small but still impressive!

In our group we had a member who had a connection to someone at Cape Canaveral so we had several minutes notice.

Last edited by tiggerguy; 06-23-2007 at 10:13 PM.
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

disneymomx2 is offline A-Ticket holder
    We were in Epcot last July 4th for a launch. We were waiting and waiting and it was alot of word of mouth fom other guests as to when it was going to happen. The CM's were helping us figure out where to look. It was neat but we mainly just saw the trail of smoke. It was just as impressive to be standing with the CM's from the Italy pavillion and see their faces as well.