Your Walt Disney World Information Station

Poll: From 0 to 5 stars, how would you rate Mission:SPACE?????

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
WDW Theme Parks Discuss WDW Rate It!: Mission:SPACE in the Vacation Planning forums; Originally Posted by zcook9 I can't even handle the Dumbo ride or anything that spins . I have trouble with spinning rides as well, but I'm fine on Mission Space. ...
    Jacknife is offline A-Ticket holder
    Quote Originally Posted by zcook9
    I can't even handle the Dumbo ride or anything that spins .
    I have trouble with spinning rides as well, but I'm fine on Mission Space. You're within an enclosed environment, and can't see outside of your "ship". The spinning motion actually feels more like vertical G's than lateral, so it's not that bad. The only time that I felt a little strange was when I turned my head sideways during the ride.

When you're seated in the cockpit, you'll be faced with a small monitor surrounded by buttons, toggle switches, and a joystick. During the mock mission, you're suppose to press two buttons, and steer the ship with the joystick.

I would recommend trying the ride once, because it is a neat experience. If you're scared and don't want to press your luck, then just keep your head back against the headrest and keep your eyes focused on the monitor. Believe me, you don't need to do anything during the ride if you don't want to.

olmec26 is offline Created by Mark Burnett
    I rode Mission:SPACE for the forst time on Thursday. My only response was...

OH. MY. GOD!!!!

It was the most physically realistic ride I have ever been on...I absolutely love it! And get this...

The wait was never above 20 minutes!!!!

I do have a video of the preshow, the pre-preshow, and the ride, so when I eventually get them on the computer, I'll see if I can't send them to Lou so he can put them up!
    -Taylor

Por favor mantanganse alijado de las puertas.

jarmitc2032 is offline Lives At Epcot

Talking Space

When I first went on Mission:Space I thought it would be something like startours, but I was very wrong. I realized that I was wrong when my eyeglasses were starting to feel one with my face as if they would never come off. I never felt a G-force like that before. It made feel as if I was in space. Mission:Space was the first ride to make me feel sick, but if did not were would the realism be.
    :mickey:

DissyLove is offline Wendy's real. I've seen her, so don't even start with me.

Now...

I need to change my answer!!! When I first responded to this, I said I had not ridden it because I always travel with my little ones. Well, my husband and I had a few hours to ourselves last month while at the World, and we used the time to try this ride...
    It was awesome!!! I don't normally like "simulated" rides that much, but this was a great experience. So well done and fun, it is nice to see Disney has not lost it's touch!!!
    I am in need of some Disney magic!!

MayBWeRMnt2B is offline living happily ever after...
    4-stars for me. It's a good ride. My funniest experience on it is when I was in a car with two of my friends who had never been on it and a bigger man got on the ride next to us. (Think like pro-sumo wrestler) and throughout the ride he kept screaming "I want my mommy!" I'm dead serious. My friends freaked out having never been onto it and this guy grabbed onto my arm gripping it because he was terrified. I was the only sane one on that flight. :-)
    - Jeanne

Engaged at Sunset Point - July 17th, 2008
    Married at Sunset Point - March 3, 2009
    Disney World & Disneyland Honeymoon

Aulani - September 2011

Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart.
    And the best part is, you'll never run out of wishes.
    They're shining deep down inside of you.
    'Cause that my friends is where the magic lives

TinkerbellRocks is offline A-Ticket holder

MIssion Space ride

I gave it 4 stars because the beginning of the ride makes it very difficult to breathe. After the initial part of the ride, this ride is incredibly awesome.
    <Script language='Javascript'>var rndNum = Math.floor(Math.random() * 10000);eval("var CDTDate" + rndNum + " = 'July 18, 2005 5:30:00 AM EST';");document.writeln("<form name='CDTform" + rndNum + "' action='Javascript:void(0);'>");document.writeln(' <font size=2 color=fuchsia>Countdown to My 7th Magical Journey to WDW</font><br>');document.writeln("<input type=text value='' size=40 name='WrittenByJamesMVenglarikII'>");document.writ eln("</form>");if (theFunction) theFunction += "var d = new Date();";else var theFunction = "var d = new Date();";theFunction += "var c = new Date('" + eval("CDTDate" + rndNum) + "');";theFunction += "var diff = (c - d)/1000;";theFunction += "var days = Math.floor(diff / 86400);";theFunction += "var rem = diff - (days * 86400);";theFunction += "var hours = Math.floor(rem / 3600);";theFunction += "rem = rem - (hours * 3600);";theFunction += "var minutes = Math.floor(rem / 60);";theFunction += "rem = rem - (minutes * 60);";theFunction += "var seconds = Math.floor(rem);";theFunction += "if ((days < 0) | (hours < 0) | (minutes < 0) | (seconds < 0)) ";theFunction += "var out = 'Hangin w/ the WDW crew!!!';";theFunction += "else ";theFunction += "var out = ' ' + days + ' days ' + hours + ' hrs. ' + minutes + ' mins. ' + seconds + ' secs.';";theFunction += "document.forms.CDTform" + rndNum + ".elements.WrittenByJamesMVenglarikII.value = out;";setInterval(theFunction, 1000);</Script>

cinderella_girl is offline A-Ticket holder
    Disneyland (mentally), Pacific Northwest (physically)
    I loved it. I was really scared at first because of all the warnings. But it turned out fine. The only thing is, I expected more. Like I had heard that you feel like you're being pushed down in your seat (like blasting off), and when you have to push the button, you can barely lift your hand to do it. (Feeling like there's no gravity). But then again, I only rode it once.
    <Script language='Javascript'>var rndNum = Math.floor(Math.random() * 10000);eval("var CDTDate" + rndNum + " = 'January 07, 2006 6:00:00 AM EST';");document.writeln("<form name='CDTform" + rndNum + "' action='Javascript:void(0);'>");document.writeln(' <font size=2 color=darkblue>Countdown to 2006 WDW 1/2 marathon!</font><br>');document.writeln("<input type=text value='' size=40 name='WrittenByJamesMVenglarikII'>");document.writ eln("</form>");if (theFunction) theFunction += "var d = new Date();";else var theFunction = "var d = new Date();";theFunction += "var c = new Date('" + eval("CDTDate" + rndNum) + "');";theFunction += "var diff = (c - d)/1000;";theFunction += "var days = Math.floor(diff / 86400);";theFunction += "var rem = diff - (days * 86400);";theFunction += "var hours = Math.floor(rem / 3600);";theFunction += "rem = rem - (hours * 3600);";theFunction += "var minutes = Math.floor(rem / 60);";theFunction += "rem = rem - (minutes * 60);";theFunction += "var seconds = Math.floor(rem);";theFunction += "if ((days < 0) | (hours < 0) | (minutes < 0) | (seconds < 0)) ";theFunction += "var out = 'Running 13.1 mi w/ Mickey';";theFunction += "else ";theFunction += "var out = ' ' + days + ' days ' + hours + ' hrs. ' + minutes + ' mins. ' + seconds + ' secs.';";theFunction += "document.forms.CDTform" + rndNum + ".elements.WrittenByJamesMVenglarikII.value = out;";setInterval(theFunction, 1000);</Script>

ILuvFWilderness is offline B-Ticket Holder
    You know i was really actually kinda scared to go on this ride, and when i saw it i knew what the ride was gonna do (like a gravitron at a carnival wich i never rode) but i did get on it and it was really cool. I admit i had to breathe slowly cause i was nervous and my stomache was a bit queasy but afterall it was a really cool ride. My mom was watching my daughter while i was riding so i got and told her she has to go on it and she did. She agreed it was a really cool ride.

MainStreet, USA is offline I'm walking right down the middle of Main Street, USA!
    Southington, CT/Daytona Beach, FL/ Main Street, USA!
    I've been on it twice, loved it both times.

I was excited to get on it the first time, not knowing what to expect. I had heard some awesome stuff about it, such as how it "realistically" simulates a space launch and such, and I was told it was done by method of spinning. I didn't really know anything other than that.

Now I don't care much for spinning rides, and find that if i don't focus on something stationary while I spin, I tend to get nauseous. Something like the Mad Tea Party can be dangerous for me. So needless to say, I was a bit nervous about going on this, but I knew I was willing to chance one more episode of a yuck-up rather than miss this ride.

Turns out it was well worth it. You are enclosed in a small capsule and cannot see anything outside, and you tend to focus on the screen in front of you the little tasks they assign you. All this makes it easy to forget the fact that the forces you are feeling exerted on your body are created by what is in fact a centrifuge. It really is an incredible, one-of-a-kind high tech attraction.

I can't say it was perfect though, as there was still one thing that bothered me. Although i've always loved simulator type rides like Star Tours and Body Wars, one thing that has always bothered me was when the ride moves in a way I know to be impossible (navigating a series of tight turns without banking more than maybe 10 degrees, for example). I'd hoped Mission Space would get past this, and as a result I ended up being a little disappointed. I mean, with the ability to generate g-forces on the riders, all you would really have to do to create the effect would be to "bank" the view outside the window opposite the direction of the turn and then to increase the "g" we feel momentarily, and it would have been entirely convincing.

Perhaps I'm just picky in this area because I'm a pilot in real life, and have spent enough hours at the controls of real airplanes and advanced flight simulators to know what it feels like when an aircraft rolls, pitches, and yaws. But because of this, I can also tell you first hand that the g-forces you experience on Mission Space very accurately recreate the same forces you feel while rapidly accelerating, decelerating, climbing and diving during maneuvering flight in real life. So in my "quasi-professional" opinion (i can't really claim to be professional yet... i've only been flying for 3 years), what you feel in the ride during the launch, after leaving the Earth's atmosphere, and during your "slingshot" around the moon feel very realistic and almost believable. However, navigating the asteroid field and the mars landing feel just like any other Star Tours or Body Wars I'd ever been on.

So, by no means a perfectly realistic ride, it was still an amazing rush to be able to load on the g's like that without ever leaving the ground. It's an incredible step up from the simulator-type rides of old, and I'd ride it again and again. A must see for everyone, even if you don't like spinning. It's really a one-of-a-kind ride, and I bet you'll be pleasantly suprised. I give it two thumbs up.
    -Don-
    Your heart can just take wing,
    You can live out all your dreams...
    ...it's time to Remember the Magic!
    Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Pilot's Life for Me...

r&trich is offline A-Ticket holder
    Gave it 3 stars. Only rode it once, just after it first opened. I think we were so concerened about all the warnings to look straight ahead and so on, that we couldn't enjoy it. We're planning on trying again this next trip-hope to be more relaxed!
    1976- Off Property
    1996- Contemporary
    1998- Contemporary
    1999- Contemporary
    2000- Yacht Club
    2001-Contemporary
    2002- Wilderness Lodge
    2003- Grand Californian
    2004- Boardwalk Inn
    2005- Wilderness Lodge
    2007-Wilderness Lodge
    2009-Wilderness Lodge

hillo is offline Walt Disney World here I come!!!.... again
    I gave it 5 stars. I love the whole ride. I could see why others would not like it, but I have a high tolerence to nausea and enjoy it very much.
    - Hillary
    There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate’s loot on Treasure Island.- Walt Disney

TikiBud is offline A-Ticket holder
    I love this ride, but I don't reccomend riding it 2 times in a row

Can't wait to get back to my laughing place

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head
    I gave it 3 stars but should have given 4. I got "sick" on it when I wore my bifocals but did much better when I didn't have them on. I have no idea why. Just weird I guess. Anyway, I may not go back on it on my next triip but I might. i will just wait and see.

rvastro is offline C-Ticket Holder
    I gave it 4 stars. I enjoy the ride very much, but IMO the G loads are a little low for me. I believe a CM told me you pull 2 Gs on the ride. I am a G freak, so the 4.7 on Rockin' Roller Coaster makes me happy!

SecondStar is offline Why is the rum gone?!?!
    It was well designed, it just didnt have enough visually for me...
    : Stephanie:

this is what dreams are made of

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast